Your most expensive record.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Airbus, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I had about 3 promo copies of that record back in the day. I gave away two to some friends and kept the best one that somehow disappeared back in the 1980's. Now I listen to it on CD.

2. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Realised I've paid more for a 7" than my previous post, another one that I had been after for ages and in 10 years this was the only copy I'd seen for sale so I snapped it up. The cost for this Ex- copy (my copy below) - £750

Dubmart and Bill Cormier like this.
  3. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Sadly this one isn't much of a double sider :winkgrin:

Man at C&A likes this.
  4. Krzych

Krzych The one who listens

$80 for sealed 4LP version of Madrugada “The Nightly Disease”

5. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Most expensive LP: Badfinger Straight Up (not sure which pressing). Paid $35 in July of '17. Some copies fetch upwards of $80.

Most expensive CD: Hrmm... probably Lion of Love by Mike Scott. It's impossible to gauge the average price as they come up for sale so rarely. I paid what was probably a fair price for 2017. I'd prefer not to say although it's fairly obvious. Suffice it to say the conversion from GBP to USD added at least 10, probably 15 numbers to the total. (This is excluding box sets of course)

Most expensive cassette: hahahahahahaha............ $55 not including shipping for a 2 track cassette single (Mike Scott "Love Anyway"). Originally was $67 but I haggled and wore 'im down! This is probably the one I shouldn't be admitting my price on, not the CD...

6. kushiro

kushiro Forum Resident

I think it's important to consider what proportion of your income you're spending. When I was a student and spent 25 quid on this it seemed like an outrageous sum of money to spend on music - and just a 3 inch CD single at that. The equivalent amount for what I earn now would be somewhere above 500 pounds. (So maybe I should have bought the Dylan 18 CD box 2 years ago...)
    https://s17.postimg.org/o6ml5kisv/sit_down.png

7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Pink Floyd - The Wall - MFSL cd.

Close to $100 and I hardly ever play it.

8. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

This is only the third album I've payed over $100 for, out of more than 600. I've been searching for it since summer of '15 and just found it last week. It's a sealed copy for a bit more than double the $75 I offered in the WTB thread back then ($179). It will stay sealed.

Jason Isbell - Southeastern Limited Edition
    [​IMG]

9. tomd

tomd Senior Member

A Few lps at the $100 mark:

Isaac Hayes-Hot Buttered Soul MOFI Sealed
    The Greenhornes-Dual Mono Sealed
    Deathproof-Original Soundtrack Blood Spatted Vinyl
    Massive Attack-Collected

10. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Didn’t realize Zeppelin bootlegs had that level of collector attention - how do they sound?

11. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

the one i listed is one of the rarest zeppelin bootlegs ever. Surpassed only by Pb (march 21 1970) the original Pb sells from 500$ to 1000$... the sound is EX.
    TMOQ zeppelin with the william stout covers also demand big bucks. especially originals.
    as for the original going to california. the sound is not as good as PB but is still one of the better sounding aud tapes from 1971. However what makes it good as well is that no bootleg tape has ever surfaced for that show. Supposedly the guy that taped the show destroyed the tapes in a lake out of paranoia.

12. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Awesome. I love live Zeppelin but always assumed the bootlegs would sound pretty lame - I will now have to take a dive in this end of the pool! Any other suggestions?

13. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

these all sound great:

custard pie
    for badgeholders only
    going to california
    live on blueberry hill
    PB or the common version Mudslide
    3 days after
    bonzos birthday party
    BBC
    feel alright montreux
    live in japan 1971 (very expensive..there are many resissues though)

wwright likes this.
  14. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I`ve got an old Kornyphone Fillmore West,I didn`t pay too much for.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  15. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

Mamas boys official album. Pu-004. 10 track original.

Krokus 1976 s/t.

Venom records ( quite a few)

Have a lot of valueBle LP’s

Never selling.
    For my kid when im having my dirt nAp

16. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

I spent $250 on Jake Sollo's Boogie Legs, and around $200 on the Stormmers' Lovers Song. African funk/boogie can get expensive quickly; I've lost a lot of auctions over the years because I'm not willing to spend more than $250 on a record!

17. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

I paid $600.00 for The Who’s 1966 Australian ep ‘Dance Session’ (pictured here as my avatar) and I paid $500.00 for a near mint copy of The Who’s ‘Substitute’ Japan picture sleeve single.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    RandelPink, AndoDoug and marmalade166 like this.
  18. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

For vinyl, I paid $30 for Aphrodite's Child - 666.

19. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

About $100 for the Blue Oyster Cult Columbia Albums box set. But yeah, it was a box set. :p

Lee Davis likes this.
  20. AndoDoug

AndoDoug Forum Resident

Ok, what ARE the details that make it rare? Worth checking it on Discogs.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    PretzelLogic likes this.
  21. AndoDoug

AndoDoug Forum Resident

WHOA primo stuff - this guy claims mint and wants 5,550 but yours includes color inserts - Do you have the lyric sheets too?
    Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run: buy LP, Album, Promo, TP, SCR at Discogs

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    DavidD likes this.
  22. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Well to be fair, on Discogs I believe they use stock photos for the item in question. The seller then lists the condition of the item they have for sale. So you won't ever see the actual photo of the item for sale.

23. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I spent £80 on a brand new CD of this one, it was a really annoying hole in my TWL collection. I don't think I've spent over £30 on anything else though.

[​IMG]

24. boe

boe Forum Resident

I spent $50 for a copy of Live At Marble Arch / Graham Parker at Bleeker Bob's in NYC in 1977. A ton of money for then. Later figured out that it was a fake.

25. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

1979 I paid £25 for a MFSL half speed mastered Pink Floyd DSOTM, the most expensive vinyl I have ever bought. My most expensive music purchase ever is £345 for the Pink Floyd Early Years box, in hindsight most definitely not worth the money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.