Your most recent system tweak, did it help or hurt the sound?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by draden1, Dec 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Why did you ever stop ? I play like 8-9 CDs per Lp I play, and I don't do background or casual listening.

2. Adagio

Adagio Forum Resident

At one point I had a Rega Planet which I listened to a lot. But I traded in to "upgrade" to a Rega Saturn. Sounded great but for some reason was a bit more fatiguing. That combined with some upgrades to my TT and vinyl record collection I started greatly preferring vinyl over CD.

This AC power cord has removed the edge from the CD's so they now sound almost as good as the vinyl. So the CD player get's a lot more run lately. Especially when I'm in the mood for Classical.

Hanks3, jonwoody and The Pinhead like this.
  3. Adagio

Adagio Forum Resident

CD has so many advantages over Vinyl that if a CD mastering is almost as good as vinyl version, I will reach for the CD.

There are some genres such as 50's and 60's Jazz where I almost always listen to the Vinyl version.

But for classical and movie soundtracks I almost always reach for the CD's (unless the mastering is really bad)

4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Amen to that bro !:righton:

Roland Bart likes this.
  5. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Ah ok, the photo definitely gave me a wrong impression about the depth ;)!

izeek likes this.
  6. ayrehead

ayrehead Bipedal Forum Resident

It damps micro vibrations at the connector. I was shocked at the difference.

2channelforever and Adagio like this.
  7. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

I Bi-amp and I bought a pair of chord clearway leads to connect the amps together. These are high quality leads at a very decent price(around £100 max)
    Yes they did improve things.

draden1 likes this.
  8. Roland Bart

Roland Bart French doctor

Not really a tweak but I finally understood why one of my dacs (audio note Dac2) was strangely inferior to a simple smsl su8 in my office system : it has an inverted phase... It worked very well in another room cause it was plugged to a wall socket on which I inverted the phase when installing it, two errors annulation.
    I've never heard a phase inversion so remarkable before...

My second tweak of the day was moving back to Qobuz, so much friendly to me than the other streaming services.

LakeMountain and draden1 like this.
  9. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Added a record weight. It did what was expected. Slight overall improvement sonically.

draden1 likes this.
  10. Mr.Sign

Mr.Sign Forum Resident

I lifted my Kef Rference 1 on original stands for about 4 inches by putting woodblocks underneath the spikes.
    Improved soundstage and tonal balance.

draden1 likes this.
  11. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

As a fellow European I know what you are talking about! The 2 pin European Schuko system creates a 50% chance that you get it wrong. Companies should really mark the side which should be connected to the phase. A few, mainly European companies are doing this already.
    Users of a 3 pin system are lucky as there is only one way to plug it in, and hope that the manufactures got it right!:uhhuh:

Roland Bart likes this.
  12. Roland Bart

It's inverted inside the DAC !

LakeMountain likes this.
  13. mjcmt

mjcmt Forum Resident

Most recent tweak is changing audio rack from Target Audio to Salamander Design Synergy offering more body and fulness.

14. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

Just added a $0.75 ferrite choke to the RCA cable of my old Lenco L75/S, and it got rid of the tiny vestige of hum. Overjoyed :D

Roland Bart likes this.
  15. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

Edit...read by cartridge chage isnt' a tweak.

So...record weight? Yes. I like to say it made everything track equally. Light pressing/heavy/slight warp/not...so, it's not that improved the sound of EVERY record...but, it made every record track more consistently.

16. Roland Bart

I Put a Jitterbug on the USB port of my streaming machine (old laptop).
    it seems technically impossible that this thing is responsible for any improvement I hear (or think I hear) but I'm too lazy to remove it.

17. ayrehead

ayrehead Bipedal Forum Resident

My local hifi shop is now a Stabilant 22 dealer so I confiscated some to try. I treated the whole system. Interconnects, speaker cables, power cords, cartridge pins, the whole 9 yards. It was a mild pain in the rear, but what an upgrade in sound quality. :agree:

18. Hanks3

Hanks3 Forum Resident

6 iQSE RF/EMI absorbers as well as Stillpoints aborbing sheets in the breaker box. Exceedingly effective. Opens up the system across the board.

2 AQ Hurricane PCs. Actually a bargain.

QSA Red outlet.

Tweek Geek QSA power distributor.

Each of these bring more to my system than they cost.

jfeldt likes this.
  19. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Yes, I installed the latest version of Anthem's software for my DAC-preamp. The new version does a better job of integrating multiple mono subs, so better sound overall.

(I was running my two subs in stereo, but when I added a thirds, there was no good way to do that.)

It's great to have a free tweak that improves things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.