Your Music Collecting 'Rules'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Karl Green, Jul 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karl Green

Karl Green Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey,

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

Apologies if this has been discussed before.

I was just wondering whether the physical music collectors on the forum apply any special kind of 'rules' or restrictions on your collecting habits, seen as though the majority of us probably aren't rich and therefore can't afford EVERYTHING we'd like, and don't have limitless storage space? If so, I'd be quite interested in finding out what they are.

Mine are as follows:

• I only buy Albums, EPs, Official Live DVDs of my favourite artists. No singles (unless they're just one-off digital singles that aren't on any album). I simply cannot be bothered or have the funds to buy all the singles from my favourite artists, not to mention a lot of them are of course rare or out of print now that we no longer have CD singles. I only really want b-sides from the artists I really love anyway, in which case many of them have thankfully released official b-side compilations.
    • If I like 2 or more albums from an artist, then I'll collect their whole discography. Otherwise, I just stick to the 1 album I like of that particular artist and won't buy anymore. E.g Madonna's Ray of Light. I own it cause I think it's a stunning album lyrically and sonically but I really cannot stand or connect to any of her other albums, so just haven't bothered to collect them.
    • I limit myself to spending no more than £50 a month on CDs.
    • I don't buy/collect cassettes/8-track/reel to reel etc. Just CDs and vinyl.
    • I only buy 1 new vinyl a month. We all know how expensive new vinyl is these days!
    • I don't buy any second-hand vinyl. I just don't like the gamble!
    • I only buy vinyl albums, and only if I already have a CD copy of the same album. As much as I enjoy the experience of vinyl, I much prefer the sound/durability of CDs.
    • I only allow myself to buy 1 vinyl album (the most favourite) from each of my favourite artists. E.g because I already have Radiohead's 'OK Computer' on vinyl, I now can't allow myself to buy another Radiohead vinyl. Unless I sold the 'ok computer' one to make way for another Radiohead vinyl. This just really helps with controlling spending and storage space.
    • I don't buy bootlegs. only officially released stuff. I think bootlegs should be free, so I tend to just download them from various bootleg blogs.
    • No vinyl boxsets - far too expensive!
    • I only buy super deluxe box set versions of new albums if they contain material that you can't get anywhere else. Some bands simply include the one album on CD and vinyl in the 1 boxset, and include some extra artwork, etc. I personally think this is a bit boring and a waste of money, so if the boxset has some exclusive bonus tracks that you can't get anywhere else, then I think it's worth it to buy.
    I think that's about it! What about you?

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

No rules here except that they have to be in good condition.

Vinyl1969, klockwerk, JohnT and 9 others like this.
  3. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

All of the above but I break them all the time :cheers:

4. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Does it spark joy?

Michael S, mschrist, modela and 29 others like this.
  5. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Thank you for not buying any second hand vinyl in the UK (more for us on both sides of the Atlantic).

JasonA, Buddybud, SwollenGoat and 5 others like this.
  6. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

Ditto... will the purchase bring joy? I probably do have some other rules that I’m not really conscious of, and for that I’m glad. That’s not intended as a a criticism of Karl’s method. Whatever works for someone... go with it. For me, I like to go with the flow and whatever is striking my fancy at any given point.

And welcome to moving out of lurker mode. I just did the same recently.

Jarleboy and ARK like this.
  7. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

The 1st rule of music collecting rules is you do not talk about music collecting rules.

8. 1. For a new artist I work backwards from an album I enjoy
    2. I can’t stand multiple copies of albums so I have to pick one or two at the most
    3. If I don’t enjoy it, I get rid of it. No more completist.
    4. If it’s an absurd amount of money, forgetaboutit!
    5. I don’t go over my spending limit,per mont
    6. I always break rule 5 to my regret and the. Joy.

unclefred likes this.
  9. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Rule #1: Buy music I want to listen to.

That's it.

10. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Rules are for all the other crap I deal with in life.

Music is my one break from that.

Michael S, tonyballz, MikeM. and 24 others like this.
  11. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Impulse buy album or boxset discussed in thread I just read in the middle of the night..

sbo, Revolver, Woodville and 14 others like this.
  12. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Shhhhh!

13. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Yes...you're missing out on some real treasures by bypassing used product. Does the vinyl really have to be pristine to listen to ? No.

MikeM., Markyp, parkmebike and 4 others like this.
  14. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

There was a guy here that had music in his collection only because it was historically important, not because he liked it.

I still think about that.

15. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Oh! My cousin has 100's of books he's never read and never will read but he keeps them in prominent view in his living room because "they 're classics"
    It's impressive but , really , what's the point?

BrettyD, Ms. Daisy, Michael S and 9 others like this.
  16. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

For over the 15+ years:

ALL used only CDs and LPs. Must be in 'absolute' M- condition, no exception... medium only.

Covers hopefully at least VG+. I don't play the covers. :)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    RunningWithScissors and Hawklord like this.
  17. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I keep it simple. One rule to rule them all.

If I wants it, I buys it.

18. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Other people do that?...:shh:

webdoggy, Buddybud, Markyp and 3 others like this.
  19. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

I don't have a rule with albums, but I only buy singles if they have a rare track on them. I usually like the original single as the reissues of the bsides on comps usually are "remastered" aka sound louder.

I don't buy single tracks off of an album digitally. It drives me nuts to only have part of the album. So to buy the track I always hope that it was a single, and then I search for the single artwork. If I can't get HQ artwork, I don't buy it.

I only buy vinyl if digital is not available as I don't like the hassle that comes with it (as well as pops and clicks). I immediately rip the vinyl to digital if I own it.

All CDs must go in so you can read them in the jewel case. So nothing is upside down or sideways.

If it is a cardboard sleeve or digipak, I have a plastic sleeve protector.

CDs are organized in alphabetical order by release date.

If the CD doesn't have artwork, I scan a picture the CD or else it doesn't go in my digital library.

A piece of music can't go onto my music HD or library until it has HQ artwork and is listened to once to make sure it is ripped properly, as well as replaygained correctly. Until this happens, the folder of music sits on my desktop.

Singles and Promos are digitally labelled as such with brackets. So "Burden In My Hand [Single]"

If I buy a digital album, it has to be FLAC unless FLAC isn't available, then it's mp3. If it's iTunes, I hate their format, so I convert to WAV and then FLAC. I only listen to mp3 or FLAC.

I have to edit the crap out of anything I download to meet the formatting I have for the names of files as well as the metadata.

I keep a copy of the original digital file I downloaded in a zip file in case I ever want to see how it was packaged when I download it.

All titles must be in caps. So again.....it wouldn't be "Burden in my Hand" or "Burden in My Hand" - it has to be "Burden In My Hand"

All compilations are labelled with the Album Artist as "ZZ Various Artists" so they all stay at the bottom of my library (I still use winamp)

No music club CDs or promo CDs (holepunch in barcode/slit in spine).

I imagine there's more, those are the ones that came to me. :)

My library:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  20. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I only buy what I want if I can afford it. That’s my only rule.

21. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

When i buy a CD i have to get ALL of the plastic and that stupid sticker off the top before i play the disc. A-nal:tsk:

22. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I don’t have any ‘rules’ for buying music, but if I buy a used CD, I try to find one that’s in ‘like new’ condition or as close as I can to it. I’ll only buy a new CD if it’s cheaper than a used one, which in many cases they are.

aravel likes this.
  23. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

A 'rule' like no singles makes zero sense to me. Just can't relate to that at all. You like an LP but wouldn't have to have a single from the same time and sessions with a non-LP track on it? Some of those non-LP tracks are the greatest things!

24. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I am going through a Marie Kondo thing right now and its getting me crazy.

Imagine breaking all of the buying rules. What do you keep when you have to get rid of about 60% of your collection?

Buddybud likes this.
  25. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

- CDs must be rippable. Once I've got a perfect rip and have backed up the rip, the CD itself is just an emergency backup.

- vinyl must be as close to perfect as possible, as for me it's only a source to transfer from. Don't care about the covers.

- don't buy new reissues without comparing with existing versions first. I have saved a LOT of money by not repurchasing lazy CD-sourced remasters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.