Your opinions about the best integrated amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by terzinator, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

McIntosh has a number of offerings between the $5000 and $10000 price points and many include a DAC, also they do everything better than anyone else's so I'd go with them.

Dennis Metz likes this.
  2. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Wow, that’s some stiff competition. I don’t base my opinions on conjecture or what they have to say on Audiogon. I’ve spent years actually comparing many of these components and I stand by my assertion.

LBC_Jet likes this.
  3. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I'll give a tube and a solid state and say that which one I would pick would probably be speaker dependent.
    On the tube side, I would go with a Mastersound Compact 845. I love this amp and at 30 watts for a channel it is enough for a wide range of speakers. This would actually be my top pick unless my speakers called for more power.
    On the SS side, I would go with the Norma IPA-140. All the power you need for pretty much any speaker, and nice compact size and easy functionality.

At this price point, I wouldn't get one with a DAC or phono built in. I like separates, and if I'm playing in the range of a $10K integrated, I probably already have separates that I'm happy with. Having said that, if you wanted a real one box solution, the Norma has the option to add in those items at an appropriate fee.

Agitater and mreeter like this.
  4. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

The only reason to use high level inputs is when an amp has no proper bass management. In such cases, the sub is just added on and woofs more bass. However, without any highpass crossover, the main speakers and amp still strain uselessly to put out the very low notes.

5. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Nothing wrong with being wrong if you want to stick with it. Presenting that unique opinion as fact just because you own a unit is however a true disservice to others.

tlowe and Steeve like this.
  7. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

There are no parallels between divisions so... Because their pianos sound a certain way doesn't mean their integrated amps will share any of these attributes.

8. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

I'm very happy with my Naim Supernait 2. I've had it for several years now and don't regret the purchase at all. Every time I think about trying something else I ask myself why. It mates well with my Harbeth SHL5s and produces a wonderful sound. The new Supernait 3 is pretty much the same with the addition of a phono stage.

9. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

that kind of money I'd plump for the Accuphase E480

10. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

With the goal of fewer boxes in mind, does something like this appeal:
    MyConnect 150 - Advance Paris

I started a thread about this but, so far, there have been no replies. It's an integrated amp / receiver / CD player / streamer with multiple digital and analogue inputs including mc & mm phono stage - rear panel pic shows more of what is on offer. UK price currently listed at GBP £1,990.

According to the blurb, the pre part is valve based whilst the power is solid state.

Sadly, I haven't yet had the opportunity to hear this but I'm working on that :) .

11. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

For Solid State - regardless of price - is the Pureaudio One Integrated ($10,000) that I just reviewed. It is 100 watts class A Dual Mono and can be used as a power amp. Jack Roberts formerly of dagogo and now running his own online review magazine wound up buying his review sample. I almost bought mine but with what is going on in Hong Kong and recently buying pricey tube gear - I have to put all that aside.

[​IMG]

The Pureadio brand may be a little unfamiliar but has its roots in Plinius - the designer left Plinius.

My other choice is the Audio Note Meishu Tonmeister which comes in 6 versions starting at under $10,000 and up to over $20k depending on parts options. (66lbs for 8 watts per channel) If I could justify buying it I would.

[​IMG]

https://www.audionote.co.uk/meishu-tonmeister

Tim 2, progrocker, gestalt and 3 others like this.
  12. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

This.

[​IMG]

Musical Fidelity M6500i - £3999. At the price anyway.

Tim 2 and DrZhivago like this.
  13. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

Moon 600i or 700i is where I would go too!

alan967tiger and timind like this.
  14. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit Thread Starter

Was looking at the Musical Fidelity website for the M6 500i and I love this bullet point in the list of details:

"Excellent, he-man build quality"

Shiver likes this.
  15. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

Another Yamaha fan here. Going the tube route I would gladly accept a Raven Osprey. Heck, going SS I could be easily thrilled by a free SuperNait3.

Echoes Myron and LBC_Jet like this.
  16. terzinator

That is lovely. With four analog inputs (and one direct, which I assume is a Home-theater passthru), and no pre-outs, it's very limited with respect to subwoofers tho. How would you connect?

17. ayrehead

ayrehead Bipedal Forum Resident

It's a shame that the Marantz PM-10S1 will never get the recognition that it deserves. It lacks the flashy name and glowing glass thingies.
    It's also the best amplification device I've ever had in my system.
    [​IMG]

fish, SocProf, jusbe and 12 others like this.
  18. terzinator

I did have it in my initial list for sure. Happened to be on a road trip last summer, went through Chicago and stopped in at Music Direct to buy some vinyl. They had the Marantz set up to demo the records. I was blown away. I think it was running through some Focal Sopras. Just wonderful.

So, I will recognize!

SocProf, tom1040, Steeve and 2 others like this.
  19. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Lots of great integrateds in the $10k range .........

In addition to the ones already posted, I would also add:

Bel Canto e1X Integrated

Line Magnetic 845 Premium

Sugden IA4

Sugden ANV-50

20. ayrehead

ayrehead Bipedal Forum Resident

If you don't believe me, read the buyer's review on Music Direct. He replaced his SimAudio separates with the Pm10S1. He says it better than I ever could.

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  21. terzinator

The Pureaudio One probably falls into this category. Interesting. REL religiously promotes high-level inputs. And if you've watched OCD HiFi guy, he religiously tries to debunk it.

Any integrateds you'd say have really GOOD/PROPER bass management?

22. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Vitus
    Gryphon
    T+A
    Pass
    AVM Audio

@terzinator you might check out my thread as well.

Also, do you want dual mono and higher quality parts? Features is one thing, but it might be useful to discuss the actual design elements that set some amplification apart from the rest.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    displayname likes this.
  23. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Outlaw and Parasound do, though no room correction. NAD/Bluesound generally do, with Dirac room correction, check by model. Any model with (rare :() pre-out/main-in jacks can be made to work with this device Parametric Crossovers (a bit crude but certainly workable, just use the highpass part). All AVRs, Denon with Audyssey is the best room correction and NAD with Dirac. Or folks even get into Home | miniDSP with digital crossovers feeding directly to power amps; I *think* there is a Dirac module available.

I have no idea why REL would promote high-level. It's not inherently evil, so that makes me curious. Is that the "keeps the sound of your power amp" nonsense?

Bob_in_OKC likes this.
  24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Lifting it does require a fair bit of effort.

25. russk

russk Forum Resident

I’d definitely add the a-s3000 to the list and would take it hands down over the Hagel, the Marantz, and the Peachtree. The a-s2100 is a much nicer unit than the Peachtree. Haven’t heard the Rega or the Esoteric.

That Luxman though, its one amazing amp and I’d definitely put the Pass INT-60 and CODA integrated up there with it. Id also want to hear the entry level Vinni Rossi and the Modwright Hybrid integrated. Would have to home audition those if I was shopping in the 10K range.
    Stating any SET tube amp easily betters a solid state beast like the Yamaha is ridiculously silly. Totally speaker dependent with SET and most tube amps. Where as the Yamaha will sound great on just about every speaker out there. With no tube issues to worry about.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020