Your opinions about the best integrated amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by terzinator, Feb 14, 2020.

1. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

That's a fantastic integrated amp!

FalseMetal666 likes this.
  2. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

This logic escapes me. Most people buy one amplifier and one set of speakers. If the speakers you love only need 3 watts and they sound the best with 3 watts then buy 3 watts. While it is true that a 1kw amplifier will drive all speakers - you don't own all speakers. So who cares if the SET Class A amp can only drive 5/100 speakers so long as it's 1 of the 5 it can drive?

Most people who buy SET amplifiers didn't grow up with SET amps (or even tubes) - they all used to own high power class A/B Solid State. It doesn't go the other way.

3. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

What would you recommend for Carver Amazing Silver @83 dB sensitivity? They will take 750W/1250W, probably more. Thanks.

4. gestalt

gestalt Forum Resident

Have you considered darTZeel?

5. Kostas

Kostas Forum Resident

Your logic escapes mine too, there's no need to convince each other. SET amps lack dynamics and that counts for the majority of speakers that can driven from them. Since we are in the best integrated amp thread I'll mention some of my favorite speakers, none of them can be driven from SET amps: Dynaudio, TAD, ATC, JBL, Kharma, Peak Consult.

What we write here is for those into HiFi, the majority of people don't care about high fidelity and they can live with a cheap system for all their lives. Many people in the HiFi hobby have multiple amps, speakers, sources etc. I consider speakers the most important element of a stereo system, since my budget is limited it's an advantage if one amp can drive all my speakers.

IMO.

I have no experience with the speakers, it comes down on your budget, Hypex based amps are stable and they can drive most speakers. If budget is not a problem Audionet, McIntosh and others have expensive high powered monoblocks in their lines.

6. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

But this thread is about the best integrated amp. So I went through your list of recommendations and saw nothing like you mentioned as far as integrateds go which is why I asked. If you know some Class D integrateds that could work, Im curious(minimum 750W/1250W and 170 A of instantaneous current). I dont doubt such an integrated exists, I just dont know what. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  7. freesole

freesole Forum Resident

Diablo 300 arriving next week. Can't wait!

8. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I have been looking at a lot of used Integrated units lately to power my Martin Logan Theos speakers. With a budget of less than $1500 I have come up empty. Probably stick with buying just a power amp. I have a passive pre and a good dac already. Many of there items listed in this thread I have never heard of but they look great and I bet they sound amazing.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  9. fish

fish Senior Member

There are so many. Depends what Flavor you like best.

I recently chose a Marantz PM-KI. Like it very much. Its got Soul.

Replaced 2 SET systems I have.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  10. freesole

freesole Forum Resident

11. davelarz

davelarz Forum Resident

Oh man that Diablo 300 is a looker.

Thought I'd chime in here to say that during the pandemic I decided to sell off my big-dollar VAC separates and TotalDac and replace it with a Naim Uniti Nova. I've had the Nova now for about nine months (a long time for me) and I'm at that point where I generally just decide that I need something else for some reason (the Diablo 300 springs to mind now and then), and yet every time I listen to the Nova I say "why would I sell this again?" Naim obviously has a house sound, but if you dig that sound (I very much dig it) then this Nova is something else. Might wound your crazed audiophile pride a little owning a "lifestyle" product, but you get over it pretty quickly because it's so incredibly convenient and really delivers the goods SQ-wise. Powerful as well. I have Verity Parsifal Encores and I feel like this amp drives them with much more authority than did my previous amp, a Phi 200. (I owned a Vac Sigma 160i back there for a while as well, excellent amp and nice MM phono stage).

12. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

That Gryphon was a contender when I did the big purchase last year and I would've been happy, but I heard the Vitus...

freesole and lonelysea like this.
  13. Helom

Helom Forum member

I don’t care for the aesthetic of the Diablo but it is indeed one of the best sounding integrateds on the market. I heard it paired to some Rockport Atrias (the IIs I believe) and the sound was phenomenal. Somehow that system was capable of opening up and delineating some 90s grunge recordings that normally sound of compressed garbage on most other systems.

lonelysea likes this.
  14. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

"Best" integrated - now there's something you'll get universal agreement! :)

OP @terzinator - I didn't read all 18 pages - but what "best" one did you choose?

displayname likes this.
  15. Nait

Nait Active Member

Clearly there are many really good options. The Naim Supernait 3 might be a worthy addition to your list.

bhazen likes this.
  16. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Late to this thread but I would pick the Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III for the best consideration of sound quality, power/ dynamics, transparency and sound stage over any of the above except the Esoteric which I have not heard. However since it is solid state I would still go Rogue.
    It is perfect with a wide variety of speakers up to medium large room, speakers above 84db, with speakers above 89db the sky is the limit.
    With more efficient speakers I would pick the Raven Audio Osprey or Blackhawk.

Edit- some updates of the small signal tubes (12Au7/ AX7 / AT7) are required for the best sound.

17. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Almost anything by Naim or Rega. They get right to the heart of the music.

18. TheVinylAddict

But not the guts, or the lungs...... ?

EightSixEight, bhazen and ayrehead like this.
  19. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit Thread Starter

Nothing yet. Again, this was a long-term hypothetical, a couple of years down the road. I'm still in my current house, and this is all about me dreaming of a new space that might better accommodate a higher-end system.

Still leaning towards Hegel, but so many great options have been suggested. Once we get a handle this covid nightmare, I'll have a lot of gear to audition.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  20. TheVinylAddict

Ok, just thought I'd check, sorry if you stated a few pages back, I didn't read every page! I was just curious.

Nothing wrong with good planning and taking your time... some components I am the same.

terzinator likes this.
  21. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit Thread Starter

Oh, if it made ANY sense at all, I'd buy it now.

Less about "good planning" and more about living vicariously through everyone else's purchases for their listening rooms.

I have a few stereos in the house, all kinda mid-fi systems. They sound great. Living room (Parasound/Harbeth), office (Audiolab/PSB), basement dungeon (Rogue Audio/Magnepan)... Just no reason at this point to get anything more elaborate or upscale, though.

At some point earlier in the thread (no memory where, maybe early on) I posted a mockup/layout image of the new space. (It's office space at a building I have, which houses my company. All this "working from home" has made me think about turning it into a loft apartment. Once the kids are off to college, that's my plan anyway.)

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  22. TheVinylAddict

Let me complicate further - and I may have said this TOO earlier in the thread --- I am a big Accuphase fan, integrateds too, and there are so many new, used and vintage that are outstanding.

Of course, CAN BE pricey - but if you go through Japan to purchase, you can get for similar price to brands here new, although you have the very minor and easily remedied aspect of it being 100V. (small step down transformer solves - I have a few -- and have a few Accuphase 100V pieces (separates) and 100V vintage TT's).

Buying 120V Accuphase here in the states, ridiculous used prices, and on Ebay even for Japanese models, but knowing where to shop and it all changes.

Note I have been, like you, slowly and carefully shopping / deciding what Accuphase integrated I want for a secondary system (or two). In my shop (secondary system) I recently bought a Sansui Alpha 907MR from the mid 90's for $1500 that is utterly spectacular, worth 2-3x more if you compare it to other things out there!

There are so many choices...... but man, used, and the realization of there are things outside the US can open some real nice doors!

tlowe likes this.
  23. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Do other integrateds *not* get "right to the heart of the music"? What does that even mean? In my long experience, I have never experienced that with all the gear I've owned over the decades. They all got to the heart of the music. Now speakers...

Dred and bhazen like this.
  24. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I personally need a sound with some spleen.

25. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

All it means is that I tend to feel more involved with the music on some gear more than others. The most musical satisfaction has been with those two brands.

Art K likes this.