Your Preferred Turntable Of All Time

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by VinylMan07, Nov 22, 2020.

1. VinylMan07

VinylMan07 *Almost* but *not entirely* an Audiophile Thread Starter

I would like you to share which is the turntable that brings you good memories, if possible, share a photo of it. It doesn't need to be an audiophile deck, it could be the one that you had when you were a kid, it could be "The big record player" that stood on the living room and you had to ask your father to put on a record for you, it could be the first turntable you had, or just the current model you're using right now. Just choose that one that brings you the happiest memories, because technological advancements or sound quality is not what matters right now.
    Probably, my turntable I had the most happy times with was a Phillips changer (model 591), from the early 70's. It wasn't good in any sense in the world but I remember playing lots of my records on it, and having fun.

Tim 2 and Sterling1 like this.
  2. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

While it's not my *preferred* turntable of all time, I had a Pioneer PL-12D which I bought new sometime in the early-mid 70's and ran with a Stanton 681EEE cart. I was in my early-mid 20's and it was the time of much new and interesting music. About 10 years later, I replaced it with a Technics SL-QL1 which I still have today. Last year, I bought my Technics SL 1210GR which is the *best* turntable I've owned but that old PL-12D is the one that remains strongest in my memory and bonding with listening to records, most of which I still own today. I was a young cop in San Francisco when I bought the Pioneer, probably at The Good Guys (?) and had it when I left the department, moved up to Placerville, and when I went back to college to finish my degree in Sacramento. Those were heady times and that table along with my Kenwood receiver (can't remember the model) were some stability in my ever changing life back then.

Ulises, ejman, chipcalzada and 5 others like this.
  3. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Does it have to be one I actually owned?

‘Cuz I guess the one I heard that blew me away the most was a Goldmund Studio at my dealer very early on in my ‘audiophildom’. Just couldn’t believe anything could sound that good... really opened my eyes to what was possible.

And
    it led to me purchasing a used Linn Sondek w/Basik arm shortly thereafter (aka what I could afford at the time — and a big stretch at that).

Dug the Linn, but never forgot the Goldmund.

This was the late ‘80s, so it may’ve actually been the best ‘table in the world at the time, or within shouting distance.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    The FRiNgE and Sterling1 like this.
  4. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

[​IMG] I purchased this Sony PS-4750 back in 1975. It was my 5th turntable purchase since 1973. The earlier turntables from BSR, Dual, and B&O did not satisfy. I thought a full manual turntable might be the remedy; and, indeed, the Sony performed beyond expectations, as it still does, playing records nicely. When CDs came on the scene I boxed up the Sony; but, about 5 years ago I unboxed it, prompted by all the hype about LPs sounding better than CDs, and I purchased some new vinyl, thinking the" better" might be all about improvements in vinyl, like no more snap, crackle, and pop. That was not the case, the new vinyl was definitely not improved. At any rate, I continued to explore the vinyl resurgence, purchasing a new Technics SL-1210GR, which I fitted with a Shure V15V/SAS. It allowed exacting cartridge alignment in a few minutes and I though perhaps that might be what would elevate the LP experience. But no, the Technics outfit does not deliver even a faint impression of sounding better; and, in fact, the Sony is more ergonomic. That's to say, its tonearm lift mechanism coupled to power on function at front of turntable rather than at rear makes tonearm mishaps from mishandling virtually impossible. So, the bottom line here is this: The Sony gets the job done; yet, since all my albums are now downloadable from Apple Music I do not even have the need for the turntable anymore to digitize my records. Nevertheless, I do still use the Sony and the Technics to enjoy a few albums which actually do sound better than the CD equivalents, like Dave Grusin's "Discovered Again".

Old Rusty, GKH, patient_ot and 3 others like this.
  5. GKH

GKH Senior Member

I'm using it right now. :righton:

audiomixer, Daddy Dom and Sterling1 like this.
  6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

My dream turntable would be a Technics SP-10 Mk II in obsidian base, with dust cover, and a Technics EPA-100 arm and a SME 3009 II arm.

7. timind

timind phorum rezident

Bought a Technics SL 3300 back in 78/79 to replace a Dual 1210(?). The Technics came with a Shure M91ed cart which I would replace every couple years with a new M91 (they were cheap back then). At some point I switched to Audio Technica carts just to try something different. I used the SL 3300 for 30 years and it never gave me any trouble. Here's a pic (not mine) from the internet:
    [​IMG]

8. Stunsworth

Stunsworth Forum Resident

A Garrard SP25 Mk II that I bought from a friend in 1975. Before that I had a plastic BSR turntable that came integrated with an amplifier. It was possibly the biggest subjective upgrade I’ve ever made. Suddenly everything about the sound was much clearer and rumble had almost disappeared.

I’m currently using a Thorens TD 124 Mk II which I’m more than happy with.

9. WvL

WvL Improve the lives of other people

I am still using the same pioneer pl-600 silver that my dad bought almost 40 years ago. It now has a 2m bronze and a grado mono cartridge to swap out (99% 2m bronze)

showtaper, Daddy Dom, GKH and 2 others like this.
  10. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

You're using a 4750? What cart?

11. Bolster

Bolster If it ain't broke try harder..

Got to be my Sansui SR222.

GKH and timind like this.
  12. Mad shadows

Mad shadows Forum Resident

My garrard 401 in a custom plinth. Currently it has two tonearms, fidelity research fr-64s and alphason hr100 mcs. One for the spu and one for the quintet black.

13. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

My 1987 Technics SL-1200 Mk2

I'm set for life with it.

[​IMG]

14. condorsat

condorsat Audio Pragmatist

[​IMG]

Technics SL 1210MK5 .. picked up new back in 2004 from KABUSA .. attached dust cover, tonearm fluid damper and a Mogami phono cable mod. 16 years old and still going strong. :edthumbs:

15. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

My current table (EAT C-Sharp), but if I could have my ultimate dream table it would be the Kronos Sparta. However that costs as much as a luxury car!

16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

This or a Technics SL-1100 or even a bespoke arm for my existing SL-1500 would all be contenders for preferred turntable of all time for me. Your SL-1200 is beautiful.

Aftermath likes this.
  17. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Thank you, sir! :tiphat:

McLover likes this.
  18. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

[​IMG]

Rega Planar 3, plain-Jane audiophile giant killer for the masses.

mackeyse, Mr. Dean, matro5 and 3 others like this.
  19. GKH

GKH Senior Member

PolyTable with Digital Motor Drive, Jelco SA-750e arm, & Ortofon 2M Bronze.

Benzion, Sterling1, WvL and 1 other person like this.
  20. drh

drh Talking Machine

Strathclyde STD-305D. Infinitely variable speed from below 60 to 100 or more RPM, digital speed readout in RPM (not percent or beats per second), flexible enough for nearly all pre-LP records but good enough for LPs, too. Not necessarily perfect, but the closest I've found so far.

[​IMG]

nosliw, timind, Aftermath and 3 others like this.
  21. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Likely Garrard 401 in custom plinth with 12" tonearm. Surprisingly the Luxman PD272 with VM540ML sounds about as good as the Garrard. The Garrard has a smoothness for lack of a better word that is incredible. The Luxman is a fraction of a hair sharper sounding. I think the not so well known Luxman must be the most under-rated TT ever.

bhazen and Danilo like this.
  22. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Just curious, what "giants" does it kill?

Christophe999s, Sterling1 and ArneW like this.
  23. Bhobb

Bhobb Crate Digger

[​IMG]

Bought it as a kit, plus Grace 707 arm and, I think, Grace cartridge. Served me well for many, many years.

24. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

That's around the time I bought the same turntable from KAB. I got the outboard power supply and fluid tonearm damper mods on mine. Still going strong here too.

patient_ot and condorsat like this.
  25. Bananajack

Bananajack Phorum ... wat Phorum? Where am I?

Micro Seiki BL91L with SME3012 arm and Ortofon Rohmann MC
    Will always stay a dream, sold my records a long time ago

bhazen, Aftermath and Mad shadows like this.