Your record collecting "quirks"...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by If I Can Dream_23, Nov 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Just remembered I put Kronos Quartet LPs under K, which breaks one of my rules.

But to me they're like a band, not a genre.

2. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

In one of Gerald Durrell’s books, his sister gets a job as receptionist to the local doctor.

She reorders all his patient medical records according to the patient’s height...

wabrit, fretter and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  3. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

I guess it makes me a relative weirdo, but I buy only things I want to listen to, and I have at most half a dozen 7"ers. I would have said 45s, but one of them is a 33 1/3 disc.

4. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm not a weird US patriotic guy but I always want the US pressings of CDs if a foreign pressing is identical music /mastering wise. Vinyl is only where it mostly matters based on where the master tape is coming from.

Grant, fretter and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  5. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I have maybe a dozen of them, and some are definitely 33s. They’re kind of annoying to play, so I really only buy them if there are songs I want not available on LP.

6. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I guess this is a quirk, but a necessary one. Just this year, I finally managed to collect the US Beatle LPs (along with a few Canadian releases) that I stupidly got rid of when the 87 CDs came along. So my copies of Meet the Beatles through Sgt. Pepper are leaning against the wall, separate from my main Beatle collection, mostly because I simply don't have much space left on the shelves. I gotta admit though, having these always in plain view brings back memories for me every time I pass them. Sometimes I have to stop and flip through them. It's comforting in a way.

7. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Hey, why are you harshing on ' Sally Can't Dance '? Great album.

8. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident

Nothing is ever good enough for me.

Hicks and Mugrug12 like this.
  9. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Me neither..that's why we come here.

10. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I just starting collecting these and do the same!

Sean, If I Can Dream_23 and DK Pete like this.
  11. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Hysterical

TwiceFan likes this.
  12. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

I do exactly the same thing. My (il) logic is that when you stand in front of your shelves and tilt your head if you go from right to left the titles are all up the right way - if you did it from left to right all the spines would be upside down.

many think I'm nuts....sometimes I tend to agree :)

Aside from that I organise alphabetical (using surnames for solo artists, disregarding "The" or "A", any bands with numbers are filed under the letter of the first number eg 220 Volt under T) All albums chronolgically by release year including comps EXCEPT archive releases that are from a specific year like live stuff released decades after they were recorded or shelved albums that finally saw the light of day...

Various artist albums at the end of collection after Z,

I do have a cpmpletely seperate area fgor Japanese bands, this years releases and DVD?CD combo's in CD size cases where the DVD is the primary focus and not just some bonus

Thats it!!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    Sean, Pim, dkmonroe and 2 others like this.
  13. Bhobb

Bhobb Crate Digger

When I used to buy imports, it was always UK pressings. They were always quieter than their US equivalents, plus I didn't care for the heavier stock of the US jackets..

14. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

....yea but, it's a GOOD nuts!

15. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I collected duplicates of some of my favorites.Two of the same albums,same pressings.

16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

The import jackets always looked nicer but SO fragile....but handled with care, beautiful things.

M321115, Bhobb and phillyal1 like this.
  17. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident Thread Starter

In which case I'm completely quirky, as I've pretty much done this with select favorites since day one! :)

18. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Duplicates...? Is that all..? Do you know any of the White Album nuts around here?

19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Yup!

20. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Glad it is not only me!

21. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Armed guards or attack dogs? Or both?

22. drh

drh Talking Machine

I guess this is a quirk: from highest to lowest, my preference for formats is cylinder, Edison diamond disc, Pathe and other vertical "78" disc, lateral 78, CD/SACD, LP, 45, tape. I play the vertical cut formats on original spring-driven gear and others mostly in the forms of dubs or rips I've done to my computer.

I store Edison discs face out in office grade file cabinets. Most of the other analogue disks are alphabetical by label and catalogue number, segregated by format and size. CDs are nearly all ripped to the computer and bulk stored; I break up album couplings to put like compositions together. (I'm almost exclusively a classical collector--maybe yet another quirk?)

23. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

M & M- 'actual vinyl' only.

24. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I only buy new, factory-sealed CDs,
    well, 99.96% of the time anyway. It would be an extremely rare instance and extenuating circumstances under which I would buy a pre-owned CD. I believe that in 3O+ years of collecting I have only bought four discs that weren't factory sealed. That is out of 1Ok+ total discs currently owned.

I guess you could call that a "quirk".
    :p

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  25. WMTC

WMTC Forum Resident

My 45s (there are easily a few thousand of them) are sorted into stacks based on when I got them. I know where just about every single one is and, better yet, where they all came from. Of course, if anybody else wanted to find where all of my Beatles 45s are... they'd be searching for hours. It'd take me a matter of minutes to gather them all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.