Your record collecting "quirks"...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by If I Can Dream_23, Nov 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I'm on a fixed income now, but when I was working, if I saw a better deal than I originally got on a collectible I owned... I'd buy it again!

CWChrome and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  2. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

No, just indecisive. I'd have a better, or at least larger collection if I hadn't waffled so much forty years ago.

Aftermath likes this.
  3. impalaboy

impalaboy Forum Resident

SquaRoots and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  4. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Oh, and another one of mine...

- I never separate an original custom inner sleeve from its record in order to transfer the vinyl to a more protective or poly-lined sleeve. All my original pressings are stored with and in the original sleeve. For instance, every copy I own of the Kiss solo lp's stay in their original "4 square custom inner sleeve". No protective poly sleeves allowed...:)

I realize that protective inner sleeves can help protect the vinyl much better etc etc etc, but I'm sorry, aesthetically this is just not right. For better or worse in regards to the vinyl itself, I'm a "original inner sleeves stay as they were pressed" kind of guy.

There. :p

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  5. Collapsed Lung

Collapsed Lung Forum Resident

...when it comes to browsing used LPs, if I flip by an album that I know should come with an insert, I will instinctively turn the sleeve and check to see if the insert is there -- even if it's something I have no interest in buying...

Mugrug12 and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  6. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

....fair point and a reminder to myself to avoid drink posting. :(

wrappedinsky and fretter like this.
  7. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Re that, I file things by extended "families," based on my primary interests. So, for example, my Cream section is over 200 albums, with no duplicates, because I also file all solo Jack Bruce, Eric Clapton & Ginger Baker under Cream, as well as stuff like the Graham Bond Organisation (because my primary interest in GBO is the fact that Bruce and Baker were in it), the Baker Gurvitz Army, etc.

When it comes to something like the Jeff Baxter/Buzzy Feiten/James Harrah/Teddy Castellucci album, I file it under Doobie Brothers, even though it would fit just as well under Steely Dan, say, because my primary interest in it is Jeff Baxter, and I consider Baxter more important for the Doobie Brothers than Steely Dan, and I like both bands just about the same amount. So I have to make a lot of judgment calls like that based on my interests, where other folks might have difficulty figuring out where I file things.

8. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

My CDs are stored in order of (UK) release date (if known), chronologically. So something from June 9th 1986 will have other June 9th 1986 immediately next to it, or something from the 2nd or 16th, depending on how many CDs I have that were out that week.

I also have recently created a shelf with 100 or so of my favourites, so I always have something I love not too far away to pick out if I can't make a decision on what to play. Plus it just feels comforting to be able to see all my Top favourites together (again, ordered by release date).

EG.

9. If I Can Dream_23

Yes, I can relate to the joy in keeping a "Top 150" at hand.

I'm a bit wacky in that I also use duplicates for the "Top 150 Shelf"!

In other words, I still have a copy of Zeppelin IV in "the main collection" but I also currently have the recent deluxe lp for the album filed away within the Top 150 shelf.

In short, I own at least two copies of every album that ends up in the Top 150 club.

Big Blue and Eric_Generic like this.
  10. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

I do not deliberately duplicate titles across formats. If the cassette I got when I was 12 still plays, that is my copy of that album. There are s few cases where I have somehow ended up with an album on multiple formats and haven't rectified it yet.

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  11. If I Can Dream_23

Yes. This is one I wholeheartedly do as well.

As someone who is more about the music, and less about transfer or pressing subtleties, I really do not seek any album (nor avoid it) if it sourced digitally rather than analogue.

Don't get me wrong. All things being equal, I almost always opt for the pressing that more faithfully reproduces the original. But if I buy an album and I enjoy the sound, it really doesnt matter to me if it came from analogue, digital, or a toy tape recorder. If it sounds great then it sounds great! Great music is great music. :p

12. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I do this, where possible, too. I'll put my favourite version/pressing on the "Top" shelf, and the others where they fit in the main collection.

EG.

13. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I know for myself, if I’m in a mood to listen to classical music, it’s more definitely a different thing than if I want to listen to pop/rock/country/folk/etc. I keep my jazz among everything simply because I don’t own that much of it, and it’s not that weird to me to choose, say, a Miles Davis album if I’m browsing among everything else.

dkmonroe likes this.
  14. Now_oscillating

Now_oscillating Active Member

Long time lurker, first time poster here...

Lps, A-Z regardless of genre
    CDs, same except Jazz is separate, and 1980’s editions of 1980’s albums are also separate

15. I record on the inner sleeves each time I listen to a record. I have to listen all the way through unless it's a reissue with those annoying bonus tracks not on original release.

Each record will receive a minimum of 10 listens so I get my moneys worth and also so I know I've given them a fair shot to make an impression on me: then it's filed alphabetically or goes in my sale stack. Tame Impala better impress me a whole lot on its next spin, but it's not looking good...

16. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

There is no real logical way in which anything is filed other than recording artists are filed together.

17. the real pope ondine

the real pope ondine Forum Resident

absolutely, they've done a fine job so far, no need to add something else

18. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I generally file records in alphabetical/chronological order. For example, French Frith Kaiser & Thompson is filed under "F", it's not grouped with Captain Beefheart, Richard Thompson, or Henry Cow. Frank Black is in "B", not filed alongside Pixies albums. I do it the way I'd expect to find them in the record store. And Captain Beefheart is filed in "C".

Big Blue and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  19. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Everything stored by first name initial. Led Zeppelin under L, Kylie Minogue under K. Various Artists and Soundtracks stored together.

April Snow and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  20. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Yeah, I don’t really understand keeping solo artists with whatever bands they’ve been in. Lennon goes in the L section, not with the Beatles albums.

I don’t have the Byrds or Neil Young with the CSN(Y).

I wonder where people who do that put their Traveling Wilburys albums...

Eric_Generic likes this.
  21. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I'd put it with George Harrison. Not that I would organise my collection in that way.

EG.

22. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

According to my 2nd ex-wife it would include everything up to taking a deep breath.

23. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I put Fripp and Eno under F and Robert Fripp & Brian Eno under R

24. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

I work in record stores and when I pull out a record of interest and find it stored in a acid soaked sleeve I let out an audible sound of disgust, I've garnered a lot of laughs from friends, coworkers and customers over the years but I'm not hamming it up for a laugh, it's a visceral reaction and I'm appalled a record of interest has acid transferring on to the disc that may never come off and degrade the sound forever. I could write a long dissertation on all my collecting related quirks but it's mostly just meticulous cataloging like many (A-Z by last name and chronological by release, my only sections are popular/classical/compilations/soundtracks) and placing each record in a new inner sleeve (unless it comes in a polyline or like quality sleeve) and outer sleeve.

25. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

That's how I do it as well, except for classical music, which I store by last name (simply because while the first names of famous composers like Bach, Mozart and Beethoven are well-known, this isn't the case for a lot of lesser-known composers).

Mylene likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.