DCC Archive your remastering engineer poll !?!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Unknown, Dec 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

Well, I'd give ya 2 out-a 3 with those picks Larry. Maybe it's just me, but I don't care much for the sound of Fly Like An Eagle-Steve Miller Band (1999 Remaster)that Bob Norberg did. Seems like a case of "no-noise" or something...a bit of a letdown. Does anyone else have any positives (or negatives) regarding Bob Norberg?

2. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

I would like to have heard Sax' tube remaster of Dark Side of the Moon. It got far enough to be listed in a catalog...but that's all.

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Eh? I've heard that that's some of the best sounding Petty available. I haven't picked it up yet, but...

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'd certainly agree with most of those. I'm not a huge lover of his work, but I don't think I've had any major problems with Erik Labson, though...

Heh...Danny is a buddy of mine on the net. Nice guy. He doesn't do mastering (professionally) any more, though. Big Beatles fan!

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Keep in mind the S&G stuff was "only" produced by Bob Irwin - Vic did the actual mastering and (when applicable) mixing.

Also, to follow-up on my Erik Labson comment - I *do* find some of his stuff "cold", especially the Buddy 2 CD set. However, I don't have a huge problem with him. Not like some other people...

6. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Pat, Did a little surfing and found this. Now I have my doubts although I really like my "Capitol Sings for Kids" but then again I've never heard these songs before.

Broadie Sound "Reality Enhancement System" Quotes

"...I wish to thank you for allowing us to employ your patented stereo-from-mono device in the remastering of our current reissue project [the Ultra-Lounge Series]...Much value is added to our mono source materials as your invention causes them to become
    realistic and enjoyable. Because of the real-time processing capabilities of your invention, studio time for this remastering is considerably decreased. It is most unusual when superior product can be achieved while simultaneously reducing costs..." Bob Norberg, (Letter), [Mastering Engineer], Capitol Records, 26 Sept., 1995

Any comments on the Broadie Sound "Reality Enhancement System"?

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Erik Labson has a thing for maximizing levels of CD to the point of obvious compression and up to distortion.

I don't think anyoine has mentioned Roger Nichols. Granted, his stuff has been mostly Steely Dan for the last 28 years but what work it is!

8. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Hey Fireblade, Ron Furmanek??!! You gotta be kidding. Listen to the Apple CD's of Badfinger's Straight Up and Ass. Horrible remastering. At least Steve was able to get a hold of the Straight Up tapes and give us a great CD.

9. Unknown

Unknown Guest Thread Starter

Well, nobody is perfect! I haven't seen a mastering engineer who did a perfect jon every time!!!

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Ron Furmanek can't even remix things right.

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Well, Ron didn't actually remix, but yeah, he couldn't tell people how to remix things right. Or, to put it another way, he *could* tell people how to remix things incorrectly.

12. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

Everyone has there favorite (Steve of course!) but I, like most of you, I like the big three (in alphabetical order) Bernie Grundman, Bob Irwin and Doug Sax. But there are two people I think get over looked. One is Roger Nichols, yes as it had been said earlier, most of what he's done was Steeley Dan/Donald Fagan. But aren't they some of the best sounding pop/rock records. The other is Shawn Britton, yes he works at MFSL. Without much note and with company constraints. I think some of his work is very impressive,(both Don Henley's and S&G's Bookends). Plus I heard he did the work on the new Patricia Barber SACD's.

13. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I threw the Mercury vinyl of "Strong Persuader" on the Rega this evening, a $2 used LP that just needed a careful cleaning. Wow, great sound! AH!! Who's on the mastering credits? Peek-a-boo, Bernie.

Been turning to find Bernie and his cronies have gotten around. If you flip the records to pay attention, he's everywhere.

Three weeks ago, played a CD that was dormant in my collection; the Modern Mandolin Quartet, on Windam Hill. Was a group I went to see for the heck of it. Interesting sound! Hey! Bernie's been here tooo!

Waldo's got nothin on Bernie!

14. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

That Peter Mew chap does a nice job. :p

15. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

He sure knows how to impart the Breath of Death, I'll give ya that. ;)

I like Bob Ludwig most of the time (something bugs me about his remaster of "Boys And Girls" though), Bernie Grundman most of the time, Doug Sax and Dennis Drake. As someone noted, if I see these names on a CD, it gives me more reason to purchase it.

As for Steve, he's in his own catagory. I find myself looking at CDs that I might never normally consider-- just because his name is on it.

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Thank you very much.

That's a great compliment!

17. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Did Doug Sax do all of the last round of Pink Floyd remasters?

18. Unknown

Unknown Guest Thread Starter

I'm not sure, but the Sony Mastersound remasters... Shine On Box set... Sony latest remasters, and the new compilation Echoes... all were remastered by Doug Sax with a liitle bit help from "supervisor" James Guthrie.

19. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Really weird, but the Pink Floyd remasters in the states appeared as Sony Minidiscs w/Doug Sax mastering. Almost a year later, the CDs came out. I think the UK had the CDs months before we did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.