" Your School" by Paul McCartney

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wim1958, Apr 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wim1958

wim1958 Forum Resident Thread Starter

For me personally the unreleased song " Your School " is one of the most haunting and emotional songs that Paul ever did . It s the way he sings it , it s also the melody and the feel.
    I never can listen to this song dry eyed , it goes deep and proves that Paul is a master in this !
    Hopefully it will be released one day .

theMess, JimC and John Grimes like this.
  2. Calico

Calico Senior Member

It's one of (or maybe the) first song Paul recorded at Hog Hill circa 1984 to test his new studio.
    I agree with you, Wim, a haunting melody.
    Originally, just a portion of the track was heard in the "Oobu Joobu" radio show in 1995, and that portion was looped by a fan to make it a bit longer and sound like a complete song.

theMess likes this.
  3. wim1958

Great to know that he used it to test The Mill studio. It s a place where i love to walk . It s beautiful there !!

4. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

There are two reasons that make an official release of "Your School" rather unlikely:
    - There is a melody line highly reminiscent of Neil Young's "Like A Hurricane".
    - Parts of the melody turn up slightly altered in "Only Our Hearts" from 2012.

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

Great track. From what Richard Niles recalled in the interview that appears in my book, Paul was still working on the song at the time of his visit (September 1986). Who knows...

theMess and wim1958 like this.
  6. Calico

Calico Senior Member

From your avatar, I see you also like to walk in the nice surroundings of Friar Park... :agree:

wim1958 likes this.
  7. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Beautiful song, has potential. Love to see it pop up somewhere on an official McCartney release. I hear shades of "I Want to Come Home" throughout the song.

8. wim1958

Yes , that s true , George is very special to me and i love to be in Henley-on-Thames . I could talk for hours about those things !

theMess likes this.
  9. Calico

Calico Senior Member

This is the version that was artificially lengthened (and I'm friend with the guy who did 15 years ago...).
    But this is definitely not an "Off The Ground" demo!

wim1958 likes this.
  10. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

I thought I had read in Madinger and Easter that 'Your School' definitely dates from the Off The Ground era.

11. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Yeah, I wondered about the "Off the Ground" demo listing. Is there more than one version floating around out there?

12. JimC

JimC Senior Member

Love this track -- I think he's writing about his relationship with John Lennon.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  13. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Another great reason I come to this site. I hadn't even heard of this song before today. Thanks guys

theMess, backseat, Bill and 1 other person like this.
  14. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

;)
    Neither had I.Beats the heck out of Biker Like An Icon.

15. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Listened to it for about 1 1/2 minutes. Garbage melody. Had to turn it off. Seems like he's forcing this one. You might be turned off by the stupid story, lyrics, etc of Biker but, it has a good groove. I'll listen to Biker any day of the week before this one. Obviously Macca feels the same as this turd remains unreleased.

16. Meddle

Meddle Forum Resident

great song

theMess likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.