Your singing voice!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sgt. Abbey Road, May 23, 2022.

1. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

I've often been asked if I'm tone deaf when I sing.

Actually I'm not. I just sing that way.

I think I could make a good living singing to expedite evacuation drills.

2. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Baritone / tenor, little more on the baritone side. Typically about 2 whole steps too low to sing most pop songs, thus everything I do gets moved down a number of keys. In some cases I have to drop an octave and then push the key up to find the comfort zone.

Marty T and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  3. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Same here :laugh:
    This hasn’t stopped me from having a mic in bands in the past though. Usually only if a screaming part is needed that doesn’t have to hit any actual notes

4. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

Apparently, I have an interesting deep speaking voice. I never thought so myself but I've been doing radio/voice over speaking for a while and I started it under suggestion from various people.

Unfortunately it doesn't translate in neither good singing nor a good singing voice.

andrewskyDE and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  5. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

That reminds me of the person who asked the bagpipes player "Do you do requests?" He said "Sure, what can I play for you?"

The person replied "Please play Over the Hills and Far Away."

---------------------------------------------------
    Edit: I see someone beat me to it.

6. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

My voice is ok as long as I'm not singing.

7. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

I share the same high note abilities as Florence Foster Jenkins. When I cut loose so does everyone else.

8. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving, rhyme-artist

My singing voice is flexible.

carlwm and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  9. Kind of nasally, with a trace of Mick Jagger insolence, but without anywhere near his power, subtlety, charisma - you name it!

My ability to sing was always cursed by just a simple matter of never grasping proper technique and singing from my throat instead of freely allowing my vocal chords to do the work. To wit, I've made it a project to finally correct my technique by working daily with Seth Riggs' exercises as proscribed in his book Singing For the Stars. For those not familiar with Seth, he's an outstanding vocal coach (now 91 years young!) who has worked with many of the greats, including Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Liza Minelli, Bette Midler, Bernadette Peters, etc. I'm finally starting to see some progress after steady daily work over the past few months, but undoing 50 years of bad technique is a battle to say the least!

I know I'll never be a great singer, but just being able to pick up a guitar or sit down at the keyboard and confidently get through a song with confidence and lack of embarrassment will be a huge boon for me.

10. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

My singing voice is pretty freaking bad...

But that doesn't stop me from belting it out while driving (until I'm at a red light and catch the people in the next lane staring at me!)

If I'm at a concert, I'll just mouth the words to myself so I don't bother my neighbors.

11. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I make Tom Waits sound like June Tabor.

carlwm, Moshe and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  12. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I was like Peter Brady……..good singer until puberty hit.

My singing his now pretty horrible.

Moshe and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  13. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Mine seems to be a mix of Gregg Allman, Don Henley, and Steve Winwood, although the higher notes are getting tougher at age 51 and I have much more "rasp" than I used to. :)

Moshe, Sgt. Abbey Road and HorseyAnn like this.
  14. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

I've almost never sung in public as an adult, but while alone at home, the singers I seem to best be able to replicate are those that I assume are baritones: Scott Walker, Tony Hadley (Spandau Ballet), Roland Orzabal (Tears For Fears), Michael Sadler (Saga), and--most unexpectedly--Ed Kowalczyk (Live). I always wanted to sing like John Wetton and was frustrated that I couldn't really do it, but later learned that I could imitate those other singers pretty well. I really enjoy the feeling of singing, but I'm completely untrained and get really shy in public. I only once was willing to attempt karaoke, and did (what I hope was) a reasonable version of Joe Jackson's "Is She Really Going Out With Him." I'm curious to take vocal lessons at some point, but my initial shyness will likely be an impediment.

Moshe and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  15. UnknownEric

UnknownEric did not put the ram in the rama-lama-ding-dong

I can't stand my singing voice, but I did sing lead (because nobody else wanted to) in a band in the late 90s, and was compared (by different people) to Donovan, Tom Verlaine, and Lou Reed... none of whom sound vaguely alike, so I have no idea what that says about my voice! :D

Zeki and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  16. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I've been compared to the great Julius Kelp.

Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.
  17. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

My voice used to be ok. I sang lead and baritone harmony in a group, The Emeralds. We did mostly doo wop and also stuff by Jay & The Americans, the Buckinghams, Four Tops and the Temptations. I also sang backup harmony with The Poor Boys, which was a blue eyed soul group. We actually opened for Ruby & The Romantics at a place in Banksville, NY in the mid 60's.

18. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Between Jim Morrison & Bob Weir

BDC and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  19. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

I thought I sounded like Elton John, but found out I sound more like Tiny Tim.

20. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

I've been likened to Lou Reed singing through a toilet roll (or Lou roll). I hope that's VU era Lou and not later Lou. And being from London I hardly have a New York accent, but hey, Lou Reed, one of my heroes. I'll take it.

21. jrice

jrice Senior Member

Bass on the low end, Baritone on the upper. I have sung lead in bands but my skills are really as a harmony singer. Also, I can't stand the sound of my voice and wonder sometimes if others feel the same when they hear me.

I the 80s I used to nail Billy Idol but now I am told I do Lindsay Buckingham well.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  22. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

In my younger bar-hopping-drink-a-lot-of-beer-and-sing-karoake days I could sing like LZII -era Robert Plant. When I try that now, it sounds more like Macy Gray.

23. BeatleBruceMayer

BeatleBruceMayer Forum Resident

Have you seen the recent videos of Jon Bon Jovi? Now I can say with confidence that I can go up there and do that, too.

24. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I'm a baritone who would never attempt to torture others by letting them hear me attempt to sing. It's just too awful.

25. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

So you've improved???:D

Zeki and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.