Your three favorite record stores

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by tvstrategies, Jan 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

1. Dusty Groove (Chicago)
    2. Reckless Records (Chicago)
    3. The In Groove (Phoenix)

Mr. LP Collector and hi_watt like this.
  2. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Update:

2. Folk Arts Rare Records
    3. Vinyl Junkies

Dan Steele likes this.
  3. JeffHunt

JeffHunt Stray Cat Strutting

McKay's - Nashville, TN

2nd & Charles - Newark, DE

Gallery Of Sound - Wilkes-Barre, PA.

I've only ever been to Easy Street Records in Seattle once, but I'd LOVE to get back out to the Pacific NW for another visit sometime soon!

hi_watt likes this.
  4. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Not sure where else to ask this, anyone been to a good record store in New Orleans? I am going in September for a few days for a work trip and may have some time to browse

5. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Euclid, east of the French Quarter, is your destination.

Dan Steele likes this.
  6. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

Really only one that we frequent - Shake It! in Cincy.

steelydanguy likes this.
  7. zen archer

zen archer Forum Resident

1. Bullmoose
    2. Dusty Groove (Chicago)
    3. Newbury Comics (Norwood store)

Dan Steele likes this.
  8. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

McKay's - Nashville, TN

Amoeba - Hollywood

9. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Based on visits within the last year:

1. CD Cellar (Falls Church, VA)
    2. Uncle Aldo's Attic (Mesa, AZ)
    3. Joint Custody (U Street, Washington DC)

Dan Steele and steelydanguy like this.
  10. Karn Evil 9

Karn Evil 9 Black Labs Matter

I travel quite a bit on business, almost exclusively in the Southeastern US. When I plan a business trip, part of my planning includes checking out used vinyl shops. I'll start off by saying that I live in North Florida, not far from Gainesville. I consider myself fortunate to have two vinyl shops, both fairly close to one another - Arrow's Aim and Hear Again. Both shops are excellent, IMO. Arrow's Aim seems to have a better selection of used vinyl. But I have found some gems in both stores. Prices are decent at both.

I have been to Wolfson Records in Jacksonville twice. The first time, I was dazzled. The second time, not so much. I guess I need to go again and do a best-of-three.

In my travels, I have been to a number of shops in the Atlanta area. My favorite is Comeback Vinyl in Alpharetta with Fantasyland in Buckhead second. I've been to the two shops in Little Five Points twice. The first time, I found some neat stuff at both places. The second time, not. From where I typically stay in Gwinnett, Little Five Points is a PIA to get to. And then parking is a b***h, too. Book Nook? Don't waste your time. One-and-done there for me.

I travel to Baltimore frequently. I visited El Suprimo once. Well, I tried to visit twice. But catching the owner when he's there is a challenge. The first time, he had a sign on his door. I was able to go back an hour later and caught him. It was only so-so. Very dimly-lit inside. The second time, again, he wasn't there during his posted hours. So I'm done with El Suprimo. Sound Garden is nearby. I've been there twice. Very limited selection of used. If you're into new, you'll probably like it. But Baltimore is not my go-to city for vinyl.

I drove through Athens, GA a few months ago and visited Low Yo Yo Stuff. I liked the place. But I didn't have a lot of time to spend there. Prices seemed a little high, but the quality seemed good. And quality is what I want - not a $3 bin.

Papa Jazz in Columbia, SC: I didn't care for it at all. I drove 30+ miles from my hotel one evening to go there. Was not impressed. But I did find a great place to eat nearby so it wasn't a totally wasted trip. I visited Monster Music & Movies in Charleston a few months ago. It wasn't bad. I found a couple of good deals there. I wouldn't drive too far out of my way. But the next time that I'm in Charleston, I'll go back.

I visited Louisville, KY a few weeks ago and stopped at Better Days. I liked the place. I picked up a few gems there at good prices. I'd definitely go back. I forget the name of the other shop that I found on Yelp not far away. It was empty. I mean, as in, closed. Same trip - Pop's Resale in Lexington. Lots of inventory; very little good-quality. What little good stuff I found was grotesquely overpriced. Not going back.

I have only been to Sound Exchange in Tampa once. Lots of inventory. I'll go back. Same with Clearwater Record Shop. Next trip down that way, I hope to hit Daddy Kool in St. Petersburg.

So, the thread is asking for my three favorites (subject to change without notice):

1) Hear Again - Gainesville, FL
    2) Arrow's Aim - Gainesville, FL
    3) Comeback Vinyl - Alpharetta, GA

Glenpwood and Dan Steele like this.
  11. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

Great info on some of these places. I try to cover a wide area as well in my quest for vinyl and like you have run into some ups and downs. Here's a few thoughts on a few places you mentioned as well...

Wolfson in Jacksonville.
    Worth a revisit. The warehouse aspect can be minorly daunting but there's usually some hidden gems to be had at fair prices. Recently, I found a treasure trove of mint like sixties albums that just don't pop up regularly in the bins. The original Moby Grape finger cover, promo Mono only pressing of Roberta Flack's First Take, German pressings of Monkees & Mamas & Papas albums, flawless Kinks titles on Reprise, etc. They constantly take in huge collections and price stuff to move for the most part. Only drawback is the lack of AC in the place makes digging this time of year rather brutal. Yesterday & Today across town still attracts good stuff too but his decision to be closed on Sunday for the most part takes him off my list due to distance and work.

Papa Jazz in Columbia.
    Gets picked over quickly. Still attracts plenty of common titles but the good stuff doesn't hang around. Still, they sold me my Mono Monkees Birds Bees & Monkees for a dollar so they get a lifetime pass from me.

Fantasyland in Atlanta
    Great store. It's one of the few places where I'm inclined to dig through virtually every bin. Criminal in 5 Points rarely has anything used worth buying so I've given up on them - the parking as you noted is a PITA to get to them anyway. Waterloo Sunset is a new shop opened over by Braves Stadium you should visit next time you go. Found tons of great stuff at decent pricing. Wuxtry in Decatur or Athens is usually decent as well.

Monster in Charleston
    For the most part I only visit them now when I have a reason to do other things in the area like Doctor's appointments or fine dining. Years ago they had great stuff but they have slowly gone from great pricing and good titles to Ebay pricing on everything good and some head scratching prices on common stuff - Blue Moves by Elton John for $24 bucks - pass. I just got the two Way We Walk Genesis Live UK pressings from them for decent pricing but the used bins are now very picked over compared to what they used to be. Record Stop in Downtown Charleston is the latest addition to the area. Pricing is on the high side but they have good titles. Worth checking out.

dee, Dan Steele and Karn Evil 9 like this.
  12. Karn Evil 9

Thanks for the info, Glen! I'll be going back to Atlanta in a few weeks. I will definitely check out Waterloo Sunset while I am there. I'm not familiar with it at all. I visited Fantasyland for the first time last month. I'll go back. I am still pretty new to vinyl collecting (less than one year). So still learning and looking. I'll be in Nashville in early-October. I've heard that there are several good stores there (for obvious reasons). How about Raleigh/Greensboro/Charlotte? I'll be up that way in the next couple of months, too. Any suggestions there?

13. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I was in downtown Nashville for a conference and was unimpressed with the ones near Broadway, more like tourist traps. I did walk several blocks to a decent store (maybe a 15 min walk) but now don't see it on the record store list. It wasn’t Grimeys and don't think it was Groove, it was at the end of a strip mall and had good used LP selection.

Karn Evil 9 likes this.
  14. Karn Evil 9

Thanks for the heads-up regarding Nashville, Dan.

I just realized that there is another one that I've visited recently: The Vintage Vault in Roanoke, VA. Not exactly a major city. But I was fairly impressed with this place. Not a real large shp. But he had a nice selection of decent material.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.