Your Top 10 Post-Beatles McCartney songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by streetlegal, May 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

My 10 in no order whatsoever:
    Teddy Boy
    Maybe I'm Amazed
    Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
    The Back Seat Of My Car
    Band On The Run
    Listen To What The Man Said
    Getting Closer
    Junior's Farm
    Goodnight Tonight
    Dance Tonight

2. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident Thread Starter

Great selection! I don't know the last one--in fact, never heard of it (whoops!)--I'll have to look it up!

Not sure if anyone's put "Winedark Open Sea"? I loved it first time I heard it on Pure, but I bracket it in my mind with "Beautiful Night" and "Wanderlust," and, of the triad, "Wanderlust" edges out the others for me.

theMess likes this.
  3. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Yes indeed. Silly Love Songs is definitely in my Top 25ish, for sure. On a given day it might even make my Top 10, but most days not quite.

streetlegal and theMess like this.
  4. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

As always, one person's favorite is another's "WTF?" For me, Winedark Open Sea is an honorable near-miss: a sort-of sequel to Wanderlust, but without the earlier song's focus and brilliant construction. Towards the end, to me at least, Winedark just kind of gets lost and wanders to a close. And in the list you quoted, Long Haired Lady is near the top of my "I hope I never have to hear this again" list. Your mileage will certainly vary!

streetlegal likes this.
  5. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

Maybe I'm Amazed
    Too Many People
    Little Lamb Dragonfly
    Beware My Love
    Don't Let It Bring You Down
    Old Siam, Sir
    Dear Boy
    Only One More Kiss
    Deliver Your Children
    Morse Moose and the Gray Goose

theMess and streetlegal like this.
  6. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Maybe I’m Amazed
    Every Night
    Dear Boy
    Too Many People
    Back Seat of My Car
    Get on the Right thing
    When the Night
    Tomorrow
    Magneto and Titanium Man
    Souvenir

7. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Beautiful Night
    Silly Love Songs
    Back Seat of My Car
    Maybe I’m Amazed
    Live and Let Die
    Venus and Mars/Rock Show
    Jet
    No More Lonely Nights
    Little Lamb/Dragonfly
    Lazy Dynamite

8. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Silly Love Songs is most definitely in the top ten, it's a pop masterpiece, it's just that with McCartney there are so many top ten list! His best post Beatles music is just as good as the music he made with the Beatles, some of it is even better!

Archguy, theMess and streetlegal like this.
  9. streetlegal

You’re not going to hear much of complaint from me regarding "Long Haired Lady"; however, I'll defend the honour of "Winedark"! I hate to use the infamous epithet, but I do believe it appears to be somewhat . . . underrated.

But let me take a few steps back in time, if you will indulge. It was the summer of 2016 and I was looking for some "new"(!) music to lift my spirits, an artist with a back catalog that I could delve into, and one that would lift my spirits (the few years had not been kind). I was firmly in the "Macca Mocker" camp, but come Pure, a beautifully packaged set at a very reasonable price, I had nothing to lose. I knew about a third of the songs—the rest was a mystery tour.

What made this journey particularly delirious, the sound of that particularly summer, is that I had little knowledge of the pedigree of each track—of course, I knew the "hits," and I had a general sense of what was older and newer (although this didn’t always hold true) but, overall I was able to listen without prejudice—a giddy experience when you can just immerse yourself in "new "song after new song. So many twists and turns. So many moments when you laugh and go "Say what?!" but on replay you're won over (well, not quite all of them, but you get the point). And some of the songs just blew my socks off.

One of my favourite parts of the collection is the “trilogy” of “Wanderlust,” “Winedark,” and “Beautiful Night” toward the end of possibly the somewhat weaker disc. Three songs that seem to possess something transcendent, a slightly mysterious quality, perhaps, and which represent one of the musical--and emotional--peaks of the whole set.

The first is without a shadow of doubt the highlight, but I hear no great falling off in the other two. I would put “Winedark” second. It’s great to have a song that continues in the vein of “Wanderlust” in imagery theme, and musical texture. A delicate, yearning vocal. I love the musical stop/restart and the musical voyage as the song fades . . . slightly reminiscent to me of those spiritual climaxes Van Morrison does so well. Anyway, in this particularly setting, between two close cousins, the song flourishes.

You know what's still great? These top 10 lists reveal a whole host of new songs to discover . . . in due course!

Skywheel, theMess and beatlesfan9091 like this.
  10. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Maybe I’m Amazed
    Back Seat of My Car
    Band On The Run
    Live and Let Die
    Venus And Mars/Rock Show
    Take it Away
    Press
    Figure of Eight
    Sing the Changes
    New

11. streetlegal

Really enjoyed reading your comments--thanks for sharing an interesting list. There's a few tracks there that I need to (re)visit.

The MEZ and theMess like this.
  12. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

ok, this kind of list never falls out of favor at this forum

Maybe this:

Junk
    Monkberry Moon Delight
    Letting Go
    Morse Moose and the Grey Goose
    Darkroom
    Ballroom Dancing
    Wanderlust
    No More Lonely Nights
    Pretty Little Head
    Angry

edit: Silly Love Songs should have been somewhere - and I guess there are some more

13. streetlegal

"Don't Let Me Down" caught me by surprise when I heard it on Pure. Beautiful "one-off" track that would surely make my top 25. As would good ol' "Mrs V" and "Pound is Sinking." I dig your choices.

14. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Even though I not the biggest solo Paul fan, it's still hard to limit the list to ten :winkgrin:.

In no particular order:

1). Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
    2). Too Many People
    3). Junior's Farm
    4). Jet
    5). 1985
    6). Let Me Roll It
    7). Venus & Mars/Rock Show
    8). Maybe I'm Amazed
    9). Beware My Love (although I'm not a huge fan of the intro/outro sections)
    10). Mull Of Kintyre
    10). Band on the Run
    10). Letting G0
    10). Helen Wheels

15. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

To many of them
    I’ll pass
    :)

16. cyril sneer

cyril sneer Forum Resident

Every Night
    Junk
    Ooh You
    Maybe I'm Amazed
    Ram On
    Uncle Albert
    Band On The Run
    Jet
    Mrs Vandebilt
    Live and Let Die

17. ilhuicamiztli

ilhuicamiztli Forum Resident

I refuse to take part in this nonsense... I started to list my “must-include” songs and by 1973 i already have 11:

Maybe I’m Amazed
    Dear Boy
    Monkberry Moon Delight
    Wild Life
    Dear Friend
    Big Barn Bed
    My Love
    Little Lamb Dragonfly
    Live and Let Die
    Band on the Run

And 45 years worth of songs still to go through? No fuh-ing way!

I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s lists though.

Edit: Hi Hi Hi... that’s 12!

18. Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
    Somebody Who Cares
    Maybe I'm Amazed
    Band On The Run
    No More Lonely Nights
    Here Today
    Back Seat Of My Car
    The Songs We Were Singing
    Venus & Mars/Rock Show

19. Mkirk

Mkirk Forum Resident

I am going to put the Ram songs to one side as otherwise that would be the entirety of my top 10 list. I mean if it was possible to marry an album, I'd get down on one knee for Ram so as that's my favourite record of all time - let's just park those tracks so that this can be a bit more varied. Of the rest

1.,Mr Bellamy ( I honestly don't think anyone but Paul McCartney and his zany brain could have given us Mr Bellamy but it rocks my world I think it's superb. )
    2. Momma Miss America (RocknRoll Springtime) it's an instrumental but I just love it, it makes me happy, I feel joy when I listen to it, what more could I ask.
    3. Nineteen hundred and eighty-five - (Will ever do, shake it don't break it. )
    4. Little Willow ( a lovely poignant lyric that cuts simply to the heart of the human condition and loss)
    5. Kicked around no more ( I play this a lot, love the vocal, think it's the greatest song from that era and yet he didn't put it on an album as such)
    6. Check my Machine (Another he didn't put on the album but on the archive, my favourite track from MCartney II. There's something really inventive about this track that is just such an ear-worm for me. I've always found it a great listen )
    7. Another day ( I love his character pieces and this was one of his very best, the story of the office girl going through the motions waiting for love)
    8. Too Much Rain (this just nudges out Jenny Wren as my favourite from Chaos the lyric has always resonated with me and I ove the melody.
    9. Nothing for Free ( I love this song and I have played it to death and I'm still not sick of it. I'd play it at least twice every day since I got it. It makes me laugh and it makes me dance. We've all got someone in our lives who only talks to us when they want something... hahaha it;s just a little piece of genius. Okay okay okaaay!! )
    10 Silly Love Songs (Best come back ever and that bass line really puts some razzle in the dazzle)

Now these are not his best 10 but they're my top 10 favourites (excluding the perfection that is the entire Ram album)

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    theMess, streetlegal and maui jim like this.
  20. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

IMO, despite one awful lyric, "Live and Let Die" is the greatest song, and production, Macca ever made (of course George Martin gets significant credit for that also).

Others that may be in my Top Ten (doing this quickly)

Junk
    Another Day
    Ballroom Dancing
    My Brave Face
    Put It There
    Back Seat of My Car
    Hi, Hi, Hi
    Band on the Run
    Maybe I'm Amazed

... and one thrown in for it's weird factor -- Monkberry Moon Delight

theMess, streetlegal and MarkTWIC like this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Maybe I'm Amazed
    Letting Go
    Another Day
    Hi, Hi, Hi
    Let em In
    Band On The Run
    Jet
    Uncle Albert
    MMD
    This never happened before

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  22. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

Would be easier to do the top 100 songs...
    But I came up with this:

Too Many People
    Love In Song
    Getting Closer
    Alligator
    The Lovers That Never Were
    Junk
    Mr. Bellamy
    Old Siam, Sir
    Somedays
    New

The MEZ, streetlegal and theMess like this.
  23. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

No particular order -- these ones hold up the strongest for me:

Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
    Too Many People
    Maybe I'm Amazed
    Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five
    Venus & Mars/Rock Show
    Tug Of War
    Figure Of Eight
    Put It There
    House Of Wax
    With A Little Luck

streetlegal and theMess like this.
  24. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

1. Maybe I'm Amazed
    2. Jet
    3. Arrow Through Me
    4. Magneto and Titanium Man
    5. Band on the Run
    6. Junior's Farm
    7. Ram On
    8. My Love
    9. Let Me Roll It
    10. Take It Away

The MEZ, streetlegal and theMess like this.
  25. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

That song only just didn't make my list; had I been making it today, it may well have done so. Another song that I couldn't make room for but wish I could have is 'Hosanna' from the 'New' album, my favourite song from an album where I love every track.

I am glad to see 'House Of Wax' receive a few mentions, and the incredible 'Tommy's Coming Home' with Costello.

I also completely agree with your defence of 'Winedark Open Sea'; it may not be as perfect as Wanderlust and maybe it is too long, but it contains such beautiful singing, such a lovely melody and it conjures up a fantastic feeling whenever I listen to it.

streetlegal and MPLRecords like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.