Your Top 3 westerns of all time?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by antonkk, Nov 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

The 2 best homages to the great Hollywood western that I can always watch are Maverick and Silverado.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I generally only like "transitional" Westerns, where the world of the cowboy is falling apart and things are changing.

My favorites are:

Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid
    Little Big Man
    The Wild Bunch

I would also give some merit to Django:Unchained, which is almost a Western (or at least is a late 1860s film). And I'd put the original Magnificent Seven in there as well. And Blazing Saddles is on my "Top 10 Greatest Films Ever Made" list, though I guess that's more a comedy than a Western.

I also liked Silverado when it was first released, and I got to meet Lawrence Kasdan on a set about 15 years ago. I told him I generally didn't like Westerns, but I liked the fact that he managed to include (and improve on) every standard Western convention ever done, particularly with stunts, in that one film. He thought that was hilarious and agreed that it was his way of assembling "Western film's greatest hits" in one film.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    IronWaffle, Chazro and GodShifter like this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I worked on Open Range for two solid months, and I can tell you the producers and director on that film bent over backwards to make it absolutely as accurate as they possibly could. There's a scene about 15 minutes before the end where you see a farmsteader nailing up some barbed wire, and the editor told me they checked to make sure that barbed wire actually existed in 1882 (when the film took place). It had just been introduced that year, so they went ahead and let it stay in the movie. The types of guns shown and their sounds was also extremely authentic and true to the period.

4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Forgot to include this one :

[​IMG]

Richard--W and Benno123 like this.
  5. Yeah, someone like me, who knows antique firearms, who knows period dress, and hairstyles and fashion can really appreciate things like this, because believe me, I see it and love it. Hell, I even know a bit about construction and nails, tools and language from back in the day, going beyond the Civil War.

Open Range was very, very close as far as I could tell. Perhaps not as close with their language and hairstyles, as let's say The Assassination of Jesse James...but I mean, from there I'm just picking nits where none needs to be picked. If it can engulf you and make you feel like you're there, like Open Range, then it's done its job fantastically.

I really want to give a shout out to The Revenant. Not for depicting true events, as it was a lot of Hollywood, but the clothes, the manner of speaking, the weapons, the Indians, the homes and the settlements, the ox carts, the boats, were all done fantastically from a historical standpoint. That's a Western, right?

GodShifter, Vidiot and budwhite like this.
  6. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

1. Open Range
    2. How The West Was Won
    3. Lonesome Dove

7. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Top 3 in no particular order...

Good, Bad, Ugly
    Unforgiven
    Josey Wales

-->Honorable Mention: Django Unchained, High Plains Drifter

8. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

The Three Amigos

the sands and yesstiles like this.
  9. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

"Chip-chip-chip-chip-NANEEEE!"

Guitarded likes this.
  10. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

1) The Good, The Bad & The Ugly
    2) The Wild Bunch
    3) Once Upon A Time in the West

11. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Did you only work in post or were you on set also?
    I think the movie was shot in Alberta, around Calgary, right? The scenery is beautiful!
    I remember renting the DVD in 2004, knowing nothing about it because it never had a theatrical relase over here. But when I saw Costner's and Duvall's name and the western setting, I knew I was in for a treat.
    Definitely a top ten western for me

Vidiot likes this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, only in post, but I worked for weeks with DP Jimmy Muro, who did brilliant work on the lighting of Open Range. That's one of those interesting films that seems natural to the eye, but there were actually 160 "invisible" visual effects going on, plus a ton of fairly complicated color correction. A lot of work went into making it look like a very old-fashioned Western. The studio pressured Costner at one point to cut about :30 seconds to get a PG-13 rating, but he refused to back down and kept all those shots in; the main bit was the one where Duvall shoots a bad guy through a wall with a shotgun, and the camera kind of lingers on the guy as he hits another wall and dies. The film was surprisingly successful.

Richard--W likes this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, I would very definitely call The Revenant a Western, and a pretty huge, epic film by any measure.

14. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Is it released in the US on blu-ray yet? I have the Swedish version and it looks and sounds great. I don't know how the theatrical version looked like but the french version seems very off

swedish
    [​IMG]
    french
    [​IMG]

15. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

a couple of classics not mentioned with Lee Van Cleef -
    Death Rides a Horse & Sabata

For a Few Dollars More is my No.1 of all time

geralmar and The Pinhead like this.
  16. Nobody sneers better than Richard Widmark...

Mark E. Moon and smilin ed like this.
  17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

If it qualifies, I wasn't sure if it did, then it's my favorite western of all-time.

18. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

A few more gems: Pursued, A Man Alone, The Tin Star, Last of the Mohicans (the Mann version), True Grit (both versions, though I prefer the Bridges one), Bad Company, Support Your Local Sheriff, The Wagonmaster, Geronimo: An American Legend, Eagle's Wing, Jubal and some modern Westerns, Bad Day at Black Rock and Junior Bonner, Lone Star, JW Coop, Powwow Highway and The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada.

19. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Butch Cassidy & Sundance Kid
    Unforgiven

(The Three Amigos)

20. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

Mine have already been mentioned.

1) Unforgiven
    2) Once Upon A Time In The West
    3) The Outlaw Josey Wales

Honorable mention: Blazing Saddles

A new one people should check out: Bone Tomahawk ..... it's not your typical western, but it has great dialog and is earning a bit of a cult following, from both western and horror fans.

Matthew Tate and GodShifter like this.
  21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I liked "Bone Tomahawk" a lot, too.

Nice Marmot likes this.
  22. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

One Eyed Jacks
    Lonesome Dove
    Little Big Man

23. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

Richard Jenkins (the sidekick) has some of the best lines. It's worth watching for him alone.

24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I really liked the movie though it was kind of a cross genre type of thing. Some ridiculous parts to it, but the movie was solid. The end theme was glaringly awful.

/end

25. Geithals

Geithals Forum Resident

Westerns are a seriously overrated genre, but provide good entertainment :)
    I'm glad The Grey Fox has been mentioned, aside from being an excellent film, the theme music by Paddy Moloney from The Chieftains long before it became selectively avant garde to make use of the unbridled, unrestrained melody tones of the uilleann pipes, ie if you discount Barry Lyndon.

I'd go for
    3.10 to Yuma (is there really a need to mention 1957?)
    Unforgiven
    can't decide between the all time classics, either Shane or High Noon.

honorable mentions to Northern Lights which still resonates some 30 or so years since i've seen it
    http://www.nytimes.com/movie/review?_r=1&res=9402E6DB1039E732A25755C2A96F9C946890D6CF&partner=Rotten%2520Tomatoes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.