Your Top 3 westerns of all time?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by antonkk, Nov 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Neither one looks right to me. Open Range is warm overall but I never blew out the skies -- they spent a lot of money on sky replacement, and all the cloud detail should be there.

The movie never came out on Blu-ray in the U.S., but I do have the HD streaming version available on iTunes and Amazon, and that one looks correct. Sometimes, things go wrong with foreign versions: a guy flips a switch in the wrong position, or they check the wrong box on a piece of software, and everything goes to hell.

Many of the people who worked on the film (particularly Kevin Costner) have a great affection for Westerns and bent over backwards to make sure that the film was extremely accurate. They also wanted to tell a believable story with good emotion; I think it's interesting to note that Duvall by far carries most of the movie. Costner's character has very little dialogue.

Luke The Drifter and budwhite like this.
  2. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

The Shootist.
    McCabe and Mrs. Miller.
    Outlaw Joesey Wales.

Nice Marmot likes this.
  3. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Could never narrow it down to three, but Rio Bravo is at the top of the list, with The Wild Bunch a close, close second. Next? Tombstone, Little Big Man, Django Unchained, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Silverado, The Magnificent Seven, Shane, The Professionals, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Last of the Mohicans and on and on.

budwhite likes this.
  4. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

very tough. most of the ones with john wayne or clint eastwood are great

5. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Open Range was the last great western to my mind. I'm not sure I can pick an all time top 3.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

True grit for me, and I do enjoy the 3:10 to Yuma remake also. But I wouldn't call it great

7. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

High Noon
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence
    The Magnificent Seven

8. trip1

trip1 Forum Resident

Broken Trail
    A Robert Duvall sleeper that doesn't get mentioned often.

9. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

The Searchers, How the West was Won, The Comancheroes

10. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Open Range is such an incredible movie -- great script, perfect casting and beautiful photography. I'd love to see it back on the big screen at one of those one-night Fathom Events showings to promote a new BluRay release. I think a BluRay would do quite well. The movie has become increasingly popular since its initial release.

Richard--W and budwhite like this.
  11. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

High Noon would stay on my list
    Unforgiven would probably stay on my list
    True Grit (original) probably as well, so hard to leave off Red River
    Really like High Plains Drifter as an alt-western...this should be a top-ten list!

12. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

The Alamo - The extended version released on laserdisc (John Wayne)
    Singing Guns - Can't find this anywhere on DVD (Vaughn Monroe)
    How The West Was Won - I bought the original DVD & returned it because it was terrible. The latest Blu-Ray/DVD is wonderful! (Lots of great actors)

budwhite and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

3 best John Wayne oaters.
    The Shootist
    Red River
    The Searchers

RogerB and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Nevada Smith

EdgardV likes this.
  15. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Butch And The Kid
    Unforgiven
    The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
    Honourable relatively unknown mention, The Proposal. I feel an urgent need to shower off dust ever time I see it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Very pedestrian, I know, but I'll stick with the greats: 'The Good, The Bad...', 'The Magnificent Seven' and 'Blazing Saddles'.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. The Proposition?

18. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

1. Seven Samurai
    2. The Hidden Fortress
    3. Yojimbo

19. DLD

DLD Senior Member

YES!! The Australian western, Proposition :o

Mark E. Moon likes this.
  20. C'era Una Volta Il West (Once Upon A Time In The West) for the opening, for the soundtrack, for Claudia Cardinale's incredible brown eyes, for 'the Dance Of Death'.

3:10 To Yuma (the 1957 version with Glenn Ford)

Il Buono, il Brutto, il Cattivo (The Good, the Bad and the Ugly) " ...there are two kinds of people in this world, my friend..."

21. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Three of the best westerns ever made are The Professionals, The Wild Bunch, Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here, and Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid.

Three of my favorite westerns are Blood On the Moon (1947), the one and only original 3:10 to Yuma (1957), and Comanche Station (1960).

There are so many great westerns. I also loved The Gunfighter with Gregory Peck, High Noon with Gary Cooper, Bend of the River and The Naked Spur with James Stewart, Ride Lonesome with Randolph Scott.

My favorite John Wayne westerns are Stagecoach, Red River, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, Hondo, The Searchers, the one and only original True Grit and The Shootist. But I love all his films. I've always liked The Train Robbers which I think is under-rated.

My favorite revisionist westerns are One-Eyed Jacks, The Shooting and Ride In the Whirlwind, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, and two sleepers The Hired Hand with Peter Fonda and Ulzana's Raid with Burt Lancaster.

In more recent years I was knocked out by Open Range, The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford, and Appaloosa, each an outstanding western. I miss westerns on the big screen and wish there were more of them. I'd love to go see a new American-made western every week on the big screen.

I'm a purist. I love American-made westerns and have about two-thousand of them on DVD and blu-ray. I try to keep abreast of new blu-ray releases of old westerns, but lately I've been falling a little behind. I'll catch up, though.

Brian Mc, RogerB and Dreadnought like this.
  22. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

One of my all-time favorites. I did not expect Costner to make a great gunhand, but he does.

23. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I've always enjoyed westerns but I find it surprising that thinking about this I am hard pressed to name one much less three favorites.

24. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I'll buy the blu-ray in a heartbeat. I saw OPEN RANGE in a packed theater and loved it. The audience loved it. A lot of people went back to see it more than once. If it should ever come to the theater again I'll be the first in line. Wish Keven Costner could get his westerns financed, he has said in interviews that the industry has turned against them.

I saw HOW THE WEST WAS WON at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood when it was restored in 2003. It was a privilege to see it in authentic Cinerama. Went back in three times. The blu-ray is great, but there is nothing quite like the experience of seeing it projected in Cinerama.

Who says audiences don't like westerns anymore?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Two great westerns not mentioned are No Country For Old Men and Hell Or High Water.

Richard--W likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.