Your top films for 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Dec 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

I thought this was a pretty poor year, although still a few I've not seen yet, so my pick:

Fighting With My Family
    Vice
    The Favourite
    Us
    Midsommar
    Mary Queen Of Scots
    Official Secrets
    The Report
    JoJo Rabbit

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  2. Eric_B

Eric_B Forum Resident

Mister America

3. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

Liked in order:

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood: Great alternate history of 1969 Los Angeles.
    Parasite: I often like a movie that surprises me.
    Jojo Rabbit: A lot of heart.
    Knives Out: Fun drawing room mystery with great actors having a lot of fun.

Still to see:

Ford v Ferrari: I have a screener but this seems like something that needs to be seen on the big screen.

Didn't like in no order:

Hustlers: Great performances by Jennifer Lopez and Constance Wu but it's hard to sympathize with predatory prostitutes/strippers.
    Portrait of a Lady on Fire: Makes Barry Lyndon seem like The Fast and Furious
    The Man Who Killed Don Quixote: For what ever reason I don't like Adam Driver or Jonathan Pryce and the movie seemed like a disjointed mess.
    Rocketman: I don't need a sanitized biography of Elton John. Who I like as a musician but not that much.
    Ad Astra: I get that it's not really a story about space but the scientific inaccuracies were so ludicrous that I couldn't buy into the story. Following 2001 and/or Apocalypse beat for beat didn't help.
    The Lighthouse: I had a difficult time understanding Willem Dafoe. I guess guys stuck on a lighthouse drink too much and masturbate a lot. I don't want to watch it.

alexpop likes this.
  4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I thought that it was just OK, I had expected better, but I thought this for some of the other family movies in 2019 also.

5. fabre

fabre Forum Resident

Funny, for me that was one of very few films last year that stood out of a lot of mediocre films. It is a quiet but emotionally intense film and that last scene with the classical piece of music in the theater was just breathtaking. I loved that film, it was my favourite of the last year.

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

You’ll like KnifesOut.

Brenald79 likes this.
  7. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Loved all the ones that many other people didn't. Still reckon 'Yesterday' was easily the most enjoyable flick of 2019.

Captain Marvel
    Last Christmas
    Yesterday
    Stan And Ollie
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    Judy
    Rocketman
    Blinded By The Light
    Spiderman: Far From Home
    Avengers: Endgame
    Downton Abbey

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Joker is a favorite. The UHD release screens real nice as well.

Is the Hulk Hogan biopic from Todd Phillips set for 2020 release?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  9. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Marriage Story on Netflix 9/10. Adam Driver and Scarlett Johansson have the craziest domestic argument scene on film since DeCaprio and Winslet in Revolutionary Road! Both nominated for Oscars.

George P likes this.
  10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Joker vs Once upon. Time. Is tough. Got to see 1917 today. But I’m not that big on war movies.

11. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Update to my list. Saw 1917 on Friday. It's my #2 favorite movie of the year after Joker.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

The critics and the audience both agree on this one.

[​IMG]

13. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

21 Bridges coming to DVD Feb 18 is one I’m really looking forward to.

14. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

21 Bridges is my favorite movie of 2019. Starring Chadwick Boseman and JK Simmons. It’s about cop killers, dirty cops and a drug deal gone bad. Probably the best crime film I’ve seen in years.

15. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Got to update my list since seeing Honey Boy last week for the first time and watching ...Hollywood about 100 more times:

1. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    2. Honey Boy
    3. Lighthouse
    4. Joker
    5. Marriage Story

16. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I thought 1917 had my personal best sewed up, but JOJO RABBIT actually exceeded the hype. That's my pick.

I wasn't nearly as enthused about KNIVES OUT or ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD. I thought the former was too silly and I had my usual Tarantino complaint about the latter: terrific acting, great dialogue, tense scenes of barely contained malevolence, all completely undone by a Jesus-Christ-can't-he-think-of-anything-better stupid ending.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.