Your Top Five Worst Film Directors?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by phallumontis, Jan 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Orson Welles
    Akira Kurusawa
    Ernst Lubitsch

wolfram likes this.
  2. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Orson Welles had some turkeys, that's for sure. And some of those Kurosawas were a chore to sit through.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  3. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Lol. Did you see Spike Lee's latest movie "Oldboy?" I thought I was on candid camera watching that thing. It was so poorly constructed and presented. A really odd movie-going experience. The Olsen twins' younger sister was very fetching though, as well as being the only person in the film director Lee allowed to not act horribly.

4. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Elizabeth Olsen is an excellent actress, I predict great things for her in the future.

5. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

M. Night Shyamalan. I sat though a lot of his bad movies mistakenly thinking the next one will be as good as Sixth Sense. Didn't happen.

ruben lopez, tkl7 and Pete Puma like this.
  6. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

Guy Ritchie

Moshe likes this.
  7. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I don't know if I responded to this before, I will again--that was a dreadful directing job.

8. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Unbreakable was just as good as The Sixth Sense... maybe even better.

Vidiot likes this.
  9. jackson123

jackson123 Forum Resident

Spike Lee and Good Night ding dong. Awful films from both of them, yech.:hurlleft:

10. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

Yes,he is the worst of them.

11. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

Again, these "which do you hate most" threads always go nowhere, and always show off the forum at its worst.

progrocker71 likes this.
  12. Fully agree. He's the kind of director who thinks he's smarter than everyone else . . . but isn't. I did enjoy much of Drugstore Cowboy, but My Own Private Idaho was more like a couple of hours in a private hell. Awful.

13. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I've only seen 6 of his films, but there were at least 2 or 3 of them that I'll likely never watch again.

14. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

The guys at Red Letter Media were reviewing Wolf of Wall Street and they said how surprising it was that out of that group of directors (Lucas/Scorsese/De Palma/Coppola/Spielberg) it's only Scorsese that still delivers time after time.

What happened to the others' mojos?

15. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Unbreakable, possibly the worst movie I've seen at the cinema and I watched Batman & Robin and Brando's Island of Dr Moreau.

A movie that divides opinion certainly.

16. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Lee ruined "Clockers" too...completely omitting the
    most memorable character and the most compelling
    scene in Richard Price's original novel.

17. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

"To Die For" was pretty good trash cinema. Loved Dave Cronenberg's cameo.

18. fiendish_thingy

fiendish_thingy Forum Resident

Bay and Schumacher are the only two directors I really hate -- Bay for taking a national tragedy and turning it into a bubble bath, and Schumacher for taking the genius of Burton's moody Batman and turning it into the world's worst produced-for-MTV special. Both should change their names to Alan Smithee, although that wouldn't really be fair to the ficticious Mr. Smithee, now would it?

19. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I don't get a lot of the vitriol for Tim Burton. He has had a good number of turkeys, and I thought "Willy Wonka" stunk, but he just as many very good films.

I thought "Sleepy Hollow" was one of his more underrated films, though not among his very best. "Big Fish" was really good, as was "Ed Wood", and "Edward Scissorhands".

20. Not as good or better imo. A sillier concept for a story would be hard to imagine, though Bruce Willis gave a fine performance.

21. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Bay

Seriously, I can't watch that drivel without getting a headache and grand mal siezure...

Shawn likes this.
  22. Django

Django Forum Resident

Luc Besson is in there for sure. The fifth element really annoyed me.

23. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I saw Haywire a few weeks ago and I totally agree on that one... Soderbergh manages to make movies that I totally forget half an hour after I've seen them (Oceans, 11,12,13), but Haywire is the only movie ever that made me forget wat is was about during the 90 (or so) minutes it lasted. Great cast and a cardboard James Bond/Tob Raider hybrid mess.

24. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Ummm.... Leon ??

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Some of the anti-Burton sentiment might be due to opinions that he used to be really good but has gone downhill over the last 15 years or so.

I'd be in that camp. Actually, his "Sweeney Todd" was pretty good, and I did like "Big Fish", but stuff like "Dark Shadows", "Apes" and "Charlie" didn't work for me.

Burton just seems to be out of ideas at this point. I love a lot of his work but he's no longer someone I can count on for good movies - I'm surprised when I DO like his material now!

Vidiot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.