Your Top-Ten Christmas Specials from TV

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by guppy270, Nov 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Not much else I can add to the excellent lists already presented. Except maybe a The Spirit of Christmas of course!

(warning: cuss words and political incorrectness)

seed_drill likes this.
  2. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

The Hit! DVD of "Emmet" is not bad, as it contains most of the deleted scenes as bonus features. Kermit The Frog's scenes/narration are still absent, however (rights issues, as Disney now owns the character).

3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

1) Rich Little's "A Christmas Carol"
    2) Charlie Brown X-Mas
    3) Emmit Otter Jugband X-Mas
    4) Sesame Street X-Mas (old one, pre-Elmo, felice navidad skating)

Allen Michael likes this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's I have 2 DVD editions...they do the trick I guess.;)

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The "CBS Special Presentation" logo was written and arranged by Mort Stevens, and was actually taken from a piece of the Hawaii 5-0 soundtrack. It's obvious when you listen to the album -- there's three edits in that little piece, and they're done pretty skillfully. I agree, it's quite memorable.

I'd probably put the Magoo Christmas Carol special at or near the top of my list, because it's dramatic, it's well-done, and the characters do unexpected things. Jim Backus was underappreciated, both as a character actor and as a voice performer.

I worked on a couple of Kathy Lee Gifford specials, and I think they had to give me hazardous duty pay to get through them. Awful, awful shows. I think I left the speakers down 99% of the time during my work.

Wikipedia has a remarkable list of American TV Christmas specials at this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Christmas_television_specials

I think we can all agree that the Star Wars Holiday Special was possibly the worst show of its kind, for many reasons...

Allen Michael likes this.
  6. Macman

Macman Senior Member

It's not Christmas without Merry Christmas Mr. Bean and seeing him with a turkey on his head.

7. Atari265278

Atari265278 Forum Resident

Any of the Rankin/Bass stop-motion ones.
    [​IMG]

8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

9. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

I have a short list of Christmas shows I watch every year -- Charlie Brown Christmas and The Grinch Who Stole Christmas. Thanks to owning DVD copies, I also watch Emmet Otter, and the Christmas episode of All Creatures Great & Small. There are also some movies I like to watch during Christmas season -- Love Actually, The Family Stone, and Auntie Mame. Watching Auntie Mame was a yearly tradition with my daughters and me when they were growing up in the 80s, as well as Emmet Otter when it was on HBO in the 80s.

10. gedsmit

gedsmit Fair Weather Member

Me too - the old All Creatures Great and Small Christmassy episode I like - and unlike most festive specials was filmed in winter... I always feel cheated when I see summer shrubs sprayed with fake snow! Very cosy episode, especially the end when they go off for the carol service and it starts to snow

These two will only probably be recognised by British viewers - The Likely Lads Christmas Special 1974 is a perennial favourite of mine - love the scnese in the pub; as is Porridge - the one where Grouty is planning an escape, whilst Flecther is planning a Christmas in the prison hospital!

11. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Anybody remember "The House Without A Christmas Tree"? I picked it up on DVD a few years ago after seeing it on TV back in the 70s. Great story with a happy ending.

12. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Could it really be true that no one has yet mentioned Pee Wee's Christmas Special? That's a must see every year for me. Probably the only other Christmas special I watch that often is Rudolph, and most years I watch the film Nightmare Before Christmas as well.

13. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

1. A Charlie Brown Christmas
    2. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
    3. Any of the Andy Williams Specials
    4. Happy Holidays with Frank and Bing
    5. Santa Clause is Coming to Town
    6. The Year Without a Santa Clause
    7. Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol
    8. How the Grinch Stole Christmas
    9. Any of the Bob Hope Christmas Specials
    10. The Homecoming (precursor to The Waltons)

14. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

25 December 1969 edition of The Benny Hill Show, as it has absolutely nothing to do with Xmas, and nothing in it whatsoever mention's Xmas. My kind of Xmas show.

15. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Yes! I know what you're saying! I also fondly remember the Dolly Madison sponsorship in the early-70s. The combination of the 'CBS Special Presentation' animation, Dolly Madison and 'Peanuts' will forever be engrained in my memory. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DPvpbLAqe4
    dan c

16. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

And because his show that Xmas was out of the weekly Top 20 TV ratings that year, any special of Mr. Hill's starting the next year would either be as little as two days before or after.

17. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Robert Goulet's Cajun Christmas :whistle:

For real, it's all about Magoo and Brown

18. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Bumpin' my own thread from last year for Xmas 2013 :)

19. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Not sure if this counts, but the The Office UK's pair of Christmas specials were great IMHO.

20. FredV

FredV Senior Member

One of my favorite specials is the 1971 version of 'A Christmas Carol' produced by Chuck Jones and directed by Richard Williams featuring the voice of Alastair Sim recreating his role of Ebenezer Scrooge which he played in what some consider the definitive 1951 film version of the story. Beautifully animated and nicely voiced acted.

beatlematt likes this.
  21. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Watched Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer again last night on TV and Santa was still a giant douche. If I was Rudolph I would have told Santa where he could stick his sleigh. :D

Also, the South Park Christmas episodes are the best.

22. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I still crave a cherry pie encased in glazed sugar every time we watch.

Said the boy in the red poof ball hat.

Dan C likes this.
  23. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I like the Beavis and Butt-head one where they just watch an electric log set that says Season's Greetings while The Nutcracker plays in the background.

24. nitorodz

nitorodz Active Member

Whether or not this qualifies according to the rules, here's a mention for the 1984 holiday classic, Christmas With The Lettermans

[​IMG]
    Dave and family and with guests Brother Theodore, Pat Boone and The Doodletown Pipers

[​IMG]
    Dave sings a Christmas classic for the kids

[​IMG]
    Things nearly got ugly when Brother Theodore insulted Dave's wife...

[​IMG]
    Audrey Daniels-Letterman

A few years later, the family appeared again on TV for a re-showing of Christmas With The Lettermans

[​IMG]
    Henry ("Hank") Letterman, December 1986

stereoptic and guppy270 like this.
  25. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

1. A Christmas Carol - George C. Scott 1984 version -- my favorite by far
    2. A Charlie Brown Christmas
    3. A Christmas Carol - 1969 Zoran Janjic animated version on CBS

Those are the only ones I make sure to watch every year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.