Your Vinyl Transfer Workflow (sharing best needledrop practices)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vocalpoint, May 11, 2011.

1. Don't forget to post a sample of your needledrop. Always nice to hear new music and familiar music done on different systems.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  2. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

Electrifsample.flac

A sample of Little Feat - Electrif Lycanthrope

Turntable - JVC QL-F6 with Shure M97xe Jico SAS stylus

JVC RX-709V tape out to Motu M2, 24-96 in Goldwave.

ghost rider and arisinwind like this.

3. That sounds pretty darn good. Nicely done.

4. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

Thanks! I am happy. I had a Roland Cakewalk interface, but the power supply introduced noise that was unacceptable to me. Motu M2 doesn't seem to have that problem. I am happy with my turntable and phono stage as well. Good enough for the girls I go out with! Sounds much better than the cro2 cassettes I recorded with back in the day.

Ventoux and arisinwind like this.
  5. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Outside of using a DAW like Protools, Logic, etc, is Pure Vinyl considered the best vinyl ripping software that has track naming automation, etc?

6. harby

harby Forum Resident

The question is more "has anybody ever even heard of Pure Vinyl (that doesn't read one of the pay-for-review stereo magazines who rated it highly?)"

Your web browser has lookup of the tracks from just the catalog number on the record jacket - and will probably have more success.

Free software Audacity will split a file into clips (individual songs), and can do it based on where you mark or based on silences in the file: Audio Tracks and Clips - Audacity Manual

The quality of the audio recording is not affected by the software (unless done completely wrong).

7. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Oh. I thought Pure Vinyl was highly regarded for the user interface and simplicity of naming files, etc. thanks for the info, I’ll do more research. Looking at Audacity and Vinyl studio I thought they were some old, outdated software judging by the looks of the interfaces. I’ll do more digging thanks

8. Daicehawk

Daicehawk Well-Known Member

I cannot stress enough the record absolutely must be washed just before the recording, preferably per each side capture. I was shocked to realize some owner of 3 copies of Koetsu Rosewood Signature cart does not wash his records unless "it needs to be washed". I have recorded before and after washing versions of the first track off an analog LP ( Aretha Franklin's Woman of the future -1978 Capitol pressing) in DSD128 just to compare myself and demonstrate to those interested. The depth, air, and timbre difference in my Sennheiser HD580 headphones is immense. Wash your records before the needledrop.

Tonym245 likes this.
  9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I had to Google it. OK, this software has been around for a long time. I have no experience with it, but, from the looks of it, it's not on the level of stuff I use. I guess it's fine for those who don't plan to get highly technical with their drops. I'm not saying it's a bad program. I never used it. I'm just saying that I need a program to do a lot more.

Cymb79 and ghost rider like this.
  10. likes2listen2beethoven

likes2listen2beethoven Forum Resident

What is your preferred ultrasonic cleaning method?

Thanks

11. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I just thought I'd pass on to anyone with a Mac and who also has a Windows PC and license for Clickrepair that, if you can find a shareware copy of the Mac version of Clickrepair around online, you can get it to run succesfully on a Mac (and in my case, with an ARM-based Apple Silicon M1 chip) by following the instructions for the workaround posted in the thread about Clickrepair.

12. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Again, this assumes you have a license. My windows license worked perfectly on my Mac as well.

13. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Another tip I thought I'd post is that you can get a free membership at discogs.com and use their website to catalog your vinyl. I've been working from home most days since the beginning of the new year and have gotten into the habit of recording LPs as I work (over 400 needledrops since January in a backlog for processing now! I just posted on in the Post Your Needledrop thread).

Anyway, I couple of weeks ago, I started looking each album up on discogs.com by its engravings in the runout/deadwax then entering it in my catalog. It's cool to find stuff with mastering info for some versions, and the values for resale can be really surprising. I have one old MFSL LP of Led Zeppelin II I bought about a decade ago for $50 that's listed now with a resale values ranging from $150 to $650! Yet some other stuff I thought might be valuable sells on average for $3!

14. Well, I prefer not to drop a needle on a record, it could cause damage. I prefer to gently lower the stylus onto a record. So, I don't do "needle drops". To me, that's kind of like calling records 'vinyls'. Not all my records are even made of vinyl.
    I do record my records and CD's to hard drives. Having 1,000's of records, doing it alphabetically, for my LP collection, I'm almost done with the "O" section. Been doing it for years and always record my new additions to my collection when I receive them.

15. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I'm wishing this was released on vinyl just so I can do a needle drop.

16. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

From what I experienced having an Amazon seller of used music media cancel my order (price was worng) while I was discussing Licorice Pizza that has a Taj Majal song from his CD album I ordered telling me to try to buy again at a later date, I'm now thinking this outrageous pricing of music is influenced by one off small seller outlets who scour for internet buzz and chatter similar to what's being discussed here. There's no consistency as you've demonstrated. There's some talk online about a certain album where these vendors take notice, cast their fishing line with an outrageous price as bait to see who bites.

No one can prove most of these overpriced rare albums sell at the claimed prices.

In fact the longer I talk online about general topics the more I keep seeing things pop up on my local news that's somehow strangely related to my online chatter that's becoming more than a coincidence. It's gotten so weird now that I'm less worried about my personal info being compromised than I am about what I say online concerning product recommendations as in this thread and others of products that later are no longer on my grocer's or local vendor's shelves.

17. Yep. That would surely destroy it!

Dave112 likes this.
  18. harby

harby Forum Resident

He talks about Discogs. Sales that have been completed through their service, the service collecting 8% fees, for that album:
    • Last Sold:
      Feb 19, 2022
    • Lowest:
      $115.00
    • Median:
      $325.00
    • Highest:
      $550.00
    If you want to buy from any of 19 selling, you're not getting it for less than $300. Sealed, $800.

Not even waiting around for rare high priced buyer, but needing two people willing to pay the top price at auction, eBay:
    [​IMG]

I suspect the MFSL will be a high price because of the rarity, and also because you know you are not getting a repress.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
    arisinwind likes this.
  19. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Just thought I'd pass on this tip to those who use Ozone, RX, etc. here and who might be interested in doing some Beta testing and helping to contribute to the development of these programs. You can apply to be a beta tester at the link below. I can't say that they'll answer right away, but you never know. I've been a beta tester since RX2 and it's truly been a rewarding and interesting experience. There don't seem to be too many others who are into needledropping so it would certainly be nice to have some other voices there to represent our hobby.

https://support.izotope.com/hc/en-us/articles/360023999473-iZotope-Software-Beta-Programs

Telcoman, BendBound, Grant and 3 others like this.
  20. Daicehawk

all i can say on (the post-recording cleaning of) pops, clicks and skips: I realigned my at33ptg/ii in my Technics sl1210 mk2 from 232 to 230 mm effective length position today. The three record copies I own that had skipped don't now. Don't get me started on the resolution increase.

arisinwind likes this.
  21. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

Are you sure it's 230mm and not 229.9 or 230.1? Just kidding.
    I'm interested in the resolution increase, please do tell us more about it.

22. Daicehawk

Some sources quoted (or so I wrongly remembered) 232 mm as the effective tonearm length for Technics 1200 so that I have been aligning for that.
    As for the resolution increase: #862

23. harby

harby Forum Resident

It is indeed the case that small adjustments make not-so-small changes, as you can see from just 0.5mm errors, along with 0.5 degree errors.

[​IMG]
    One cannot adjust overhang alone. See the difference between red (+0.5mm) and green (-0.5mm) curves above where the overhang has been changed but not the same angle.

The Technics uses a Stephenson alignment. Stevenson overhang is 15.9mm (while Technics specs say 15mm). The effect length is the result of overhang, not the input. 215mm pivot-to-spindle distance + 15.9mm overhang = 230.9mm effective length.

The "resolution" doesn't change - it only shifts the distortion around. A linear tracker instead puts the distortion at the 0% line.

If it skips less, it is likely the antiskate was off; a lower overhang creates less skate force, especially towards the center.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
    stetsonic likes this.
  24. Daicehawk

@harby geometrical tracking errors causing phase or harmonic distortion define the resolution. We can talk about resolution increase if the geometrical errors became lower or rather, shifted in such a way that the phase or harmonic distortion became lower.
    The picture links in your post do not work, BTW.

25. harby

harby Forum Resident

There's probably a lot on the Internet that's not going to work, as Russia tries to block social media images and videos of war crimes and atrocities committed by Russia against civilians in the invasion of Ukraine, the death of thousands of Russian conscripts and more war losses in five days than in 20 years of US anti-terrorist operations abroad, and the world's condemnation and resolve against Russian government.
    Here's some other links you can test:
    Japan sanctions Russian oligarchs and Belarussian officials over invasion of Ukraine
    Ukraine war: Top Russian general killed by sniper as Kyiv claims 9,000 of Putin's troops have died | Daily Mail Online
    Russia's Massive Convoy Headed to Kyiv Is Under Siege by Air Strikes
    Photos: Shelling continues in Ukraine as Russian forces advance
    Ukraine jets hit Russian column; Russia has used thermobarics, Ukraine military says

GetHappy!! and stetsonic like this.