Your Vinyl Transfer Workflow (sharing best needledrop practices)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vocalpoint, May 11, 2011.

1. No it's still there

2. Lexfer

Lexfer Well-Known Member

This one sounds dirtier in general but precisely at the same point the distortion is heard. I would think that the original recording has that error.

arisinwind likes this.
  3. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

If the offending sound is only in one channel, you might try Izotope RX's ability to copy one channel to the other. "Lasso" the event and check under Channel Operations. You can also use Spectral Repair to attenuate or replace the event.

arisinwind likes this.
  4. Lexfer

Lexfer Well-Known Member

I've checked, I just listened to my LP and it has exactly the same distortion at the same point. A little lighter but there it is.

arisinwind likes this.
  5. This is very similar to what I did. Using RX7's Mix I lower the left channel and raised the right in the left channel mix. If I remember correctly the mix was 65% left 35% right for the Left Channel. It clears the distortion but leaves a slight waver in stereo width. Played over monitors it sounds OK. Over headphones it's noticeable enough to go, "What was that?"

6. On my LP I can not hear the distortion when the LP plays.

7. Lexfer

Lexfer Well-Known Member

Sorry, it's not on the LP playback, it's on my needledrop that I also hear the distortion, right now it's impossible for me to hear the LP.

arisinwind likes this.
  8. Thanks for the update.

I couldn't find any soundcard setting amiss. I guess the distortion is a ghost in some machines.

9. Lexfer

Lexfer Well-Known Member

In this YT video I also hear it, at the exact same point. Min. 1:49 . ..Very strange

arisinwind likes this.
  10. Lexfer

Lexfer Well-Known Member

Also on YT I heard the same song but it's not vinyl and the distortion is not heard.

11. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

Be careful lest it should damage your needle!

arisinwind likes this.
  12. harby

harby Forum Resident

I've seen the needle, and the damage is done.

13. Want to thank everyone for their input and help on this. It appears the distortion is a well know defect going back to the original release. There are versions without the distortion and without. Seems 40 years after release they still use the master tapes with the distortion. Thanks Lexfer, harby, Ascot and Grant.

ascot and Lexfer like this.
  14. Done

15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That would likely be Neil Young's fault. He controls what's out there, unless he, too, recently sold his catalog.

16. BendBound

BendBound Forum Resident

I received an email from Izotope, Inc. about upgrading my RX9 to the advanced version for $299. Given my simple routine using RX9 for processing dubs, I'm not sure I have even scratched the surface of its capabilities. Furthermore when I upgraded I took the opportunity to purchased Ozone 9 standard. I have not even tried to use Ozone.

My question then from users here, is RX9 Advanced worth it?

17. harby

harby Forum Resident

Press "unsubscribe" on the bulk unsolicited email, before they are emailing you that the activation servers for v9 are being shut down and you need to buy another upgrade (aka Audition).

That's the standard upgrade price often seen. Don't be fooled by the "sale". Which could be really any price they make up, or you even call and make a better deal. RX 9 Advanced Upgrade from any version of RX Standard .

You can compare the list of features or plugins and see if any of them is worth $300 to you. Nothing stands out. They compartmentalize different versions of the same algorithms as "features". There's no reason why "crackle" and "declick" aren't together in the same tier as just different parameters. Get Advanced for "azimuth" feature - to delay one channel.

Or install Ardour on as many computers as you like for free to go along with Audacity and Sox, and they don't need your email. Better than even the $9 offer, in my opinion.

BendBound and stetsonic like this.
  18. Grant

Huh? Could you explain this better? I own RX7 still and want/need to upgrade but it's not feasible right now for me to do so. What's going on?

iZotope, Inc. is being grouped into a umbrella company called Soundscape (?) along with a couple of others that make plugins. That seems to be where they are going, plugins. I got an email from the Soundscape CEO that stresses they will not follow Adobe's subscription model, that they will always offer perpetual licenses for their products as always.

BendBound likes this.
  19. Grant

I have Ozone 9 Advanced and it is indispensable for me. I use it in everything I do. I'm also finding Neutron quite useful. I like to master my work to get the most professional and tweaked results I can. I really enjoy the ability to add or subtract little bits of volume for drums, bass, and other elements of recordings.

But, I do need to invest in RX9 advanced. I'm digging the restoration tools. If you don't want to buy things and only need them for a small time, you can always "rent" the things you need. For me, it's the best of both worlds.

I like using the exact same tools the big-name pros are using in their professional work. Not that that means anything to many of you here, but what that means to me is that I know I can get the same results they do, and I can further hone my skills. I used to be locked into doing everything one way. Why? Audio is different, so why treat it like it's all the same? have some fun while i'm at it. learn things. That's where i'm at!

BendBound and darkmass like this.
  20. BendBound

BendBound Forum Resident

Thank you all for the feedback!

Grant likes this.
  21. warpig

warpig Senior Member

Hello all :D. Been reading this thread and am really impressed with the knowledge and time have put in on this subject.

Currently I am using Audacity and am transferring at 24/196. Did this a while back and just started again. Have a few questions if you all do not mind.

I would like to post a recording for some feedback using Dropbox. Do I just link a section of the file or the whole thing?

My recordings seem a little low. I am recording as close to 0 that I can without going over into clipping terrority. After I have the file can I increase the volume by using normalize to -1. Will this increase the output without clipping the file?

22. Welcome!!! Post just a sample. 60 seconds or so. A little more for longer works.

Are your wave forms close to 0db? If so you may need to adjust the volume at the soundcard or in the program. I usually normalize to -.5 and it is fine. I can't imagine -1 being noticeably quieter.

Once again, welcome. Nice equipment list. I look forward to hearing your work.

23. warpig

warpig Senior Member

Thank you for the response.

Yes they are close to 0db

I usually normalize to -.5 and it is fine. Does that increase the volume when played back? Sorry if that question does not make sense as if normalizing does not increase the volume. When I play back my recording compared to some cds that I ripped it just seems to sound lower. I do not want to clip the track but would like a increased output. If I could do that without clipping then that would be good. First one is normalized to -1. Second is just the straight transfer with nothing done,

Dropbox - 01 Hells Bells a.flac - Simplify your life

Dropbox - 01 Hells Bells.flac - Simplify your life

I did these a while back. If I am not mistaken they are 96/24 At least that is what I have them labeled as. Fixing to go see a band so I will revisit this later on or tomorrow.

Again thanks.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
  24. warpig

warpig Senior Member

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
  25. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

If anyone wants to know how to not do a needledrop… :shake:

This 1973 album has an interesting release history, to say the least.

The 80’s CD was part-needledrop, with some tracks being fresh remixes from the original multitracks. It is presumed that the album’s stereo master tapes were long missing or completely unusable, and perhaps not all the session reels existed or I assume they would have remixed all the songs from a clean tape source if they could.
    The new mixes were not bad by any means, but quite different from the originals.
    The needledrop tracks on the other hand were not great. With excessive sibilance, distortion, and even overly long fades to mask surface noise.

If only I knew this would be as good as it would get!

I was hoping we might eventually see a digital version of the original stereo mix in some form or another. A quality needledrop would’ve been serviceable, but ideally a tape or tape copy might’ve turned up within the last 30 years…

Now, just some months short of the 50th anniversary, the album has been “remastered” but we got neither of these things.

This time around, it is entirely the original stereo mix, however that means the album is also now entirely a needledrop… and an even worse one, at that.

It sounds overly processed, with heavy handed noise reduction, and still audible surface noise on some tracks. The same is true for all 3 albums in the discography. When even the band or original label can’t find a clean LP to work from, you know there might be a problem…

These new “remasters” are available both on streaming and as part of a colored vinyl boxset. Here is a link to the 1st album on Qobuz, where it can be streamed or downloaded.

Album סיפורי פוגי (Remastered), Kaveret | Qobuz: download and streaming in high quality

Even before all this remaster mess was announced, I bought a sealed copy of the LP last year hoping it may be the best chance to ever get a clean digital copy of the original mix. I sent it to one of the very well known needledroppers here but they said the vinyl was still of such poor quality to not even be playable without ruining their stylus.

I highly doubt there’s another sealed/mint original copy out there so I’ve given up hope on this ever getting a satisfactory transfer to digital.

Just knowing that an official version was also in the works at the time, I would’ve liked it if whoever worked on it was someone active in this thread, or at least familiar with the thread, as they would’ve delivered a much more satisfactory end product. I can’t believe this new drop is getting pressed and sold on wax all over again, sounding the way it does.