Your Walking Dead preferance - comic or TV show? Spoilers allowed

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Shawn, Dec 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawn

Shawn Senior Member Thread Starter

It might be interesting to have a thread discussing which version of The Walking Dead we each prefer, and hopefully the reasons why.

I came in to the comics a bit late (during season 2 of the TV show) but caught up quickly to the current issue. The comic to me is far superior, although of course there are things that happen in the comic that could never happen in the show (whether due to content, extreme violence, budget, etc.).

Still, I feel the comic is stronger and look forward to the next issue more than I do the next episode.

What are your opinions? And yes, spoilers are allowed. Feel free to also discuss the Telltale video game and the novels Rise of the Governor and The Road to Woodbury.

2. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

I started reading the comic a year or so before the show came on, and love both. Probably the comic has the edge, as it feels like it has the time to move at a slower pace and develop the characters a bit more,
    but the show sort of also does that, as much as weekly TV will allow. I like that the show isn't simply following the storyline of the comic. It does in a fuzzy way, but things happen differently on the show, which
    is nice for those who've read the comic, still offering surprises for those who "know the story" already.

3. Shawn

Is it just me, or does the comic book continue to far outshine the TV show?

mikeyt and ex_mixer like this.
  4. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Can we answer both, for different reasons?

Michael likes this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

TV SHOW...I like the live action better...

6. Shawn

I should have made that an option, it's too late to change it now unfortunately.

7. Shawn

Have you read the comics?

8. michaelscrutchin

michaelscrutchin Forum Resident

I have a love/hate relationship with both the comic and TV show, but I straight-up love the Telltale Games video game. It has better writing in general, more affecting characters, and offers a more intense, emotional experience that really gets to the heart of how it might feel struggling to survive in the zombie apocalypse and having to make unthinkable decisions. The comic and the show occasionally achieve that, but they're far bumpier rides with lower lows than the more consistent video game.

That said, I dug Alexandria in the comics and I'm loving it on the show now. The recent episode is the best in a long, long time, with Romero/Savini-level gore and insane drama. So good. I just hope the show can keep it up.

JimC, Shawn and mikeyt like this.
  9. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

There's a comic book for this? Did it come out after the TV show?

10. Shawn

Peter Pyle likes this.
  11. Michael

I have checked them out, and they are great but I enjoy the TV show with my wife...we look forward to watching it together each week...

12. Shawn

I'm curious if they'll introduce Negan in the TV show now that they've reached Alexandria. His character might echo The Governor a bit too much / too soon for the TV audience and it might seem like a re-tread. My guess is that they won't have him.

13. DreadPikathulhu

I totally agree. We don't need to see the Governor storyline essentially repeated, especially since they've worked so hard this last season to take the show in different directions.

14. Shawn

15. DreadPikathulhu

I don't like what they've done to Gabriel's character. They made a big show a few episodes ago about him tossing his collar into a fire, and now he's back to being a slimy snitch. I'm not a religious person, but I thought they would show him integrating into Alexandria in his former role because he found that people needed him in that role. To make him a creep just seems lazy.

He doesn't appear in the comic very often, but he's a solid character there.

GentleSenator and Michael like this.
  16. Michael

he proved himself a coward and not a man of God when he did the horrible deed to his flock...hopefully he will not get a second chance...he's been shown as a weak slimy creature since day one...

17. Michael

18. Shawn

I'm wondering where he found that new collar!

JimC likes this.
  19. DreadPikathulhu

Hah! I had the same thought!

JimC likes this.
  20. DreadPikathulhu

It turns out I was wrong. Gabriel did try to get Rick thrown out of Alexandria in the comic.

"Once arriving at the Safe-Zone, Gabriel feels like Rick, and the others, do not fit in and are dangerous and tries to persuade Douglas (in the TV show it's Deanna) to throw them out, Douglas angrily refuses to do so, but, it is assumed that Rick is unaware that Gabriel had asked. "

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Gabriel_Stokes_(Comic_Series)

21. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

I like both thought I find the comic to be a tad more repetitive than the show. Merle is by far my favorite character from either version. I just finished the most recent trade collection and if they ever get to the "whisperers" in the show, it will freak a LOT of people out. Most definitely the most WTF?!?!?! thing so far.

22. DreadPikathulhu

I wish the show would skip over Neegan and go right to the whisperers.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Let me spoil the comic by telling you what's going to happen a year from now... :hide:

I'm like Sgt. Schultz of Hogan's Heroes: "I know NOTH-ink!"

24. DreadPikathulhu

Any guesses about what happened to Michonne? It looks like they're going to drag that one out for years.

I did like the latest issue,,where the whisperers are some sort of weird communal cult.

25. Shawn

I'm surprised at the perceived number of whisperers. One of the characters said it sounded like they had 'thousands'. The amount of food needed to keep that many alive would be huge. Plus, would there really be that many people dressed up in dead people's skin? Ewwww......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.