YouTube is an amazing thing

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by vamborules, Dec 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taxee

Taxee Forum Resident

Never dreamed I could watch games 6 and 7 of the 1952 World Series between the Yankees and Brooklyn Dodgers.

EVOLVIST, nick99nack and Ghostworld like this.
  2. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

I always wondered what ELP flying would look like.

rburly likes this.
  3. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

As a big David Bowie fan in my youth I always wanted to hear the song Bowie and Bolan did together.
    Thanx to youtube I found it.

Halfwit likes this.
  4. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Last night I was scrolling through my photos and noticed a shot of a CBGB’s ad that had been collaged in the wall of a haircut place I used to go to. My reason for having taken it was it was for the week I saw the Ramones there. It was a benefit for the Police Bullet Proof Vest Fund, April 10, 1978, and I believe was the final time they played the club having been big enough in town to fill The Palladium on 14th Street where I had previously seen them play. It occurred to me, “I wonder if this might be in YouTube?”, lo and behold part of the show is, I may have even spotted myself in the murky, pixelated blur, but am not certain. I just love when a 41 year old memory can suddenly become much more, thanks YouTube!

5. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

and batdad

PhantomStranger and Dave Garrett like this.
  6. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Half the time I don't remember how I've wound up finding the things I do on youtube, since
    I go from one search to another...(it's rare I stay put & await their automatic next post from one to the next!!)

Just a few moments ago, I happened upon this bizarre clip, c. mid-90s. Donovan Leitch's band (he's 60s Folk artist, Donovan's, son) w/Jason Nesmith, son of the Monkees' Michael Nesmith, Nancy Boy.

I can't really tell what they were going for, but mid-90s, this wasn't going to work on either side of the Altantic, w/grunge going on in U.S. and Britpop in UK. This sounds like they're channeling new wave (i.e. Devo) & punk-lite; it's not bad, just would've been better at least a decade earlier.
    Interesting clip!! :)

Veggie Boy likes this.
  7. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I cancelled my Dish Network tv service $108/month and I can find more interesting stuff to watch on you tube whenever I want.

musicarus likes this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Number one favorite after here natch. :)

9. GullGutt

GullGutt Hei hopp

There is so much great stuff on youtube

Joe W and rburly like this.
  10. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I'm more on the production than consumption side of YouTube.

Ghostworld likes this.
  11. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Yeah, just remember it's owned by Alphabet (Google parent company) that does not break down ad revenue by YouTube vs its other (Google) engines in its reporting. Every bit of personal information it can collect from you in terms of search habits, likes/dislikes, location, purchases, clickthroughs, etc. etc., will live in perpetuity on the company's servers and will be sold to anyone that contributes to the company's profits.

12. Chris DeVoe

...but unlike virtually every other company, you can see what they have collected on account.google.com.

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

If you search of something specific, it's great. If you let it feed you funny puppies, bucket challenges, cat bloopers and the stupidity it pushes hard up front, I hate it. The front page of Youtube is like a print out is like an appeal to the LCD.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    Regginold31 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  14. Chris DeVoe

It has a bias to extremes; you start out in the middle of anything, and you will be led to the most extreme example of that.

15. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

As you've already mentioned in this thread.

It's a trade off like anything else in order to access a lot of great videos. Your "personal information" (as represented by what you mentioned) means a lot less than you might think.

16. GregM

GregM The expanding man

The data Google has on you can fill millions of Word documents. I just don't know why you'd want to pretend that is inconsequential. This is just the obvious stuff. Are you ready? This is all the data Facebook and Google have on you | Dylan Curran
    There's more.
    But I guess it means nothing, eh? It's just our constitutional right to privacy that is being taken out behind the barn and shot. And who cares about such things anymore.

Regginold31, Tokyo Ghost and MartyTem like this.
  17. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

The repair stuff out there is a great help to me.
    Plus of course there's all kinds of interesting other stuff.

18. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Convenience and ease of use vs. nebulous concerns of privacy is an interesting battle, but the former is going to win out every time.

19. Chris DeVoe

Google reveals all the data it gathers on you. Facebook? Just try getting it.

20. Chris DeVoe

Also, if you're concerned, it's easy enough to maintain multiple Google identities and switch between them.

21. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

What? This is all info that you gave them. When you used their services, you agreed to hand this data over. Don't like it? Don't use it. The Internet is public. You have no bigger expectation of privacy online than going out in a city full of surveillance cameras. Don't want Facebook to have your photos? Don't upload them. Don't want Google having your contact information? Don't give it to them.

carrick doone and Osato like this.
  22. GregM

GregM The expanding man

That's why there needs to be new legislation, and antitrust rules in the digital age.

Nonsense. Google doesn't even tell you when sharing your data whether in big data acquisitions or requests received by the company (e.g., by the authorities). Even Apple is highly critical of Google's privacy violations, and Apple does not respect user privacy either--far from it.

You're making my points for me. The Internet is public, but the data on Google's/Youtube's servers is the property of Alphabet. Your point about cameras now being on all devices, street poles and buildings also means that data is being rolled up into these servers. Unless you live in a cleanroom with no internet access there is no way to escape privacy violations. There needs to be laws that protect privacies in the digital age, rendering these violations unlawful with penalties to the companies.

Regginold31, Troyh and MartyTem like this.
  23. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident Thread Starter

Most of what it shows you is based on stuff you've watched. The stuff that isn't you can get rid of by clicking 'not interested'. It doesn't work 100% but for the most part if you 'like' the stuff you liked and tell them 'not interested' on the stuff you don't, you end up with more interesting and less annoying suggestions.

As for all the other stuff with the data collecting all that..yeah, not crazy about that either. But this thread wasn't meant as an endorsement of Google and all they do...I was just kind of musing on all the cool stuff you can find.

24. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

Again, you agreed to provide it. The simple solution is, as you said, not to use Alphabet's services, like YouTube. Cameras being on street poles and buildings aren't an issue, as there is no constitutional right to privacy outside of your own home.

Google tracking you inside your home? You accepted the terms of service on your smartphone when you set it up. Turn off the device and they can't do that. Personal computer phoning back to Microsoft? Turn off the Internet or use a different OS that doesn't do such things. I don't use Windows 10 or Chrome for that reason.

Whether people are willing to make those changes or not are a different story. I am fully aware of how much data I have provided these companies.

Osato likes this.
  25. GregM

GregM The expanding man

You should be able to share things online and still be able to assert basic rights and privacy privileges--especially when they're constitutional. Why is this concept anathema all of a sudden? Rights are a bad thing for people to have???

Turn it off and it still pings off the cell tower and probably streams all sorts of other data that you can't control. Indeed, the type of control you are expecting after rushing to defense of these poor, innocent tech companies is really alarming.

We already know what people are willing to do. These companies employ big data experts, user behavior experts and the app developers and UX/UI designers to help define user behavior. This raises questions about free will -- many former employees of these companies have sounded the alarm. All I am saying is there need to be more consumer rights, and more rules about antitrust violations. The EU is regularly holding hearings/fining the companies for the same violations they are committing here. Does no one care about rights anymore? Is the goal a plutocracy? Because that is rapidly what is emerging/has emerged.

Regginold31 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.