YouTube is an amazing thing

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by vamborules, Dec 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

There are many many smart devices out there that you can stream YouTube to wirelessly and connect to your tv's HDMI input. Google Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, and most smart Tvs, just to name a few. The internet in my apartment is wired in my bedroom only, but my daughter streams YouTube all the time on the TV in the living room, via a Chromecast or the built in Smart TV apps.
    If you don't have WiFi, you can pick up a cheap wireless router for less than $50 easy.

My desktop is hooked to my Vizio TV, so I just use it (Ad blocking for the WIN), but I could also stream it through the built in Chromecast or my XBox One.
    There are many options.

videoman and Tim Lookingbill like this.
  2. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I saw "Deep Water" on Youtube yesterday and it's one of the best documentaries I've ever seen (even in low res); it starts darkly comic but once the comedy melts away it's the touching story of a flawed family man getting trapped in his own plans.

jlocke08 likes this.
  3. greenscreened

greenscreened Forum Resident

blackstar likes this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

there's so much entertainment on the tube it's mind boggling.

Exotiki and townsend like this.
  5. townsend

townsend Senior Member

This is one of the most absurd downhill skateboarding I have ever seen -- if real/true, just incredible control:

chilinvilin likes this.
  6. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I have seen that documentary before, and it really is disturbing. I recognize that Donald Crowhurst should have had the common sense not to get involved, but IIRC, once he got involved, wasn't there someone who funded his entrance who basically threatened to financially destroy Crowhurst if he backed out?

7. Yovra

Not in such a direct way, but the building of his ship was sponsored and he'd have to pay his own ship back if he failed, ruining him and his family financially. And it's one of these stories when you ask yourself: "why didn't no one stop him?".

townsend likes this.
  8. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

There was a gawd awful sound coming out of the front wheel on my car the other day. I looked on YouTube for possible causes and sure enough, took the tire off and found a small rock lodged right where one of the videos said it would be.

I heard a story of a woman a few years ago who used YouTube to find all the instruction she needed to build a house.

It’s an incredible resource. Teach yourself practically anything!

townsend and O Don Piano like this.
  9. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Yup. I’m pretty useless in any capacity as a mechanic, but a video of someone replacing a front headlight on his Chevy Trailblazer was fantastic, and pretty darn easy. And saved me about 50 bucks.

blutiga, Solaris and videoman like this.
  10. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Kevin Smith's "Hollywood Babble-On" show will now be shown, on YouTube ...for FREE!
    THAT makes me happy!

11. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I watch crash videos, Russian and otherwise. My wife laughs at me for it.

Two things I've learned from watching the videos:

1. A lot of folks simply have no driving skills at all.
    2. A lot of folks listen to really crappy music in their car.

Bungo, chilinvilin and Sternodox like this.
  12. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

Add huge amounts of vodka and there you go. Crashes!

troggy and Chris DeVoe like this.
  13. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Just a shame the mainstream media is trying it's best to destroy it as it makes a lot of them (especially places like the Washington Post and NYTimes ) look redundant.

One of the few platforms non-mainstream voices can still have a voice (for better or for worse). Though it's getting harder and harder every month.

I sub to around 80 channels ranging from politics to watches to tool restoration to movie stuff to camera stuff etc. etc. Love it!

Robert C likes this.
  14. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Yup, I got practically all of my repairs tips from YouTube....Replace garage door spring? Install faucet? Simple dish washer fixes? Re0lace brake pads, etc...All available out there and saved me a bunch of $$$ DIY....

carrick doone and blutiga like this.
  15. nightfall

nightfall Senior Member

Anybody out there need a carotid endarterectomy? I'm pretty sure I can do one now, and my rates will be modest.

16. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Very well done documentary on the Roland music corp (synths, guitar pedals, delays, rhythm machines). The only thing missing is interviews and music clips referred to but it doesn't make it any less informative.

17. townsend

townsend Senior Member

If I have time to burn (and you'll have more in retirement than in working life), I head to youtube . . .

18. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Because of YouTube, I think I've watched Mike Love's Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame induction speech about 104 times!

I'll watch it, be amazed and in hysterics over its insanity, and a few weeks, I'll say to myself, "Nah, it really couldn't be that unbelievable," and then go back and watch it again just to prove myself wrong and put another smile on my face:

johnod likes this.
  19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Umm hum..

20. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Without YouTube, where could we watch historical tape like the day Kennedy was shot and the launch of Apollo 11 just to name a couple?

And of course there is the whole flat earth thing...apparently it is a theory generated almost wholly from YouTube. Really, we all knew that right? But it was funny.

21. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Here's a YouTube artists latest!

22. Tim Crowley

Tim Crowley Forum Resident

23. Yovra

When have have the flu and fever's running high I have dreams like this.....

24. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

Without YouTube I’d never have seen this .

Thank you YouTube.

25. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

This is one of the most astounding things I've ever seen with profound implications for the design of sound systems, and damn it, I'm going to keep posting it until somebody gets it.

Seriously, read the comments on the video, post after post by sound engineers talking about how this blew their minds and changed how they mix.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Exotiki, chilinvilin and Yovra like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.