YouTube: TV commercials from first "Simpsons" episode (1989)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by guy incognito, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member Thread Starter

Want to feel old?

Check out this series of ads from a Providence, RI FOX affilate on the night of December 17, 1989, during the premiere of the very first Simpsons episode (the Christmas special "Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire").

As a bonus, we get a promo for the Married: With Children Christmas episode, "It's a Bundyful Life" (guest starring the late Sam Kinison), which premiered on the same evening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFX9SuXByoo

Jeez, how time flies. I can remember watching this as a 16-year-old and thinking it was the greatest thing ever made; but who ever would've dreamed then that The Simpsons would *still* be on the air?

2. Dragun

Dragun Forum Resident

The commercials are usually the most entertaining part of watching old tapes recorded from TV. Thanks for posting that video!

3. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I was 6 when I saw that first episode and I remember thinking more or less "that's the most original cartoon I've ever seen". I liked the drawing style. Never seen anything like that then.

4. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Somewhere I have the original broadcast from the New York affiliate, WNYW-Channel 5. It would be interesting to dig it up and compare the local inserts.

PS: GREAT "MArried...With Children" spisode!

5. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

Wow...check out the Leiser ad for "cellular telephones"...why are the phones connected to a lunchbox??? :)

Leiser is long gone, at least in RI.

6. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

My wife and I were living in a group house in DC, when this was shown. As the oldest 'kids' in the house (me 21; my wife 23), we were chastised by the 'intellectual- pot smoking' kids we were living with, for wanting to watch a cartoon! We BOTH knew we were watching history! Though we only watched the "Tracey Ullman Show" once or twice, we did see a couple of "Simpson shorts" at the Tourney of Animation, eariler that year. I STILL say they are my generation's BEATLES! It was like our "Ed Sullivan Show"!!!!

7. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

Agreed; I don't know if it was all the TV hype or what, but even then, I (and my friends) knew this would be a great show.

8. Bertly

Bertly Senior Member

'Who Framed Roger Rabbit' vhs for $20.00, no thanks.. ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.