Youtuber getting a suite at Rocky Mountain to showcase budget speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Xarkkon, May 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helom

Helom Forum member

It also seems like every time he receives a new/different pair of speakers, they're the best he's heard. I question his auditory memory.

vwestlife, Strat-Mangler and freesole like this.
  2. freesole

freesole Forum Resident

Well, I don't watch his channel and trust his every opinion that's for sure. I definitely disagreed with his assessment of Focal Clear's. He's not the most technical of reviewers and spends maybe a bit more time on build quality and features than most but he's entertaining anyway.

Helom likes this.
  3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

In my experience, most members in the Hardware section of this forum have much more experience and knowledge. I find the advice and feedback posted here infinitely better in every way than whatever is presented on any YT channel.

Just because the guy has spare time to video himself and post it on YT doesn't give his opinions more credibility or weight, in my eyes.

nosliw, Ham Sandwich and Helom like this.
  4. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

Wonder if he'll bring his cat Chewbacca? He's quite attentive to that feline during his vids. ;)

5. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

His mission has already been accomplished. He has all of you talking about it.

markc2, dolsey01, Kyhl and 2 others like this.
  6. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Sounds like he has figured out a way to get viewers to pay for his vacation.

unclefred likes this.
  7. Jacob29

Jacob29 Forum Resident

He is a full time you tube reviewer viewers pay for everything he does. That being said I doubt that he will come out ahead on this one.

nosliw and patient_ot like this.
  8. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

Yup. I agree.

Besides, everyone's entitled to whatever holiday they please with however the $$$ is found! :)

macster likes this.
  9. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

T
    that seems to be the case with almost every review I read.

bever70 and Helom like this.
  10. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

You ever heard of "GoPro" cameras ? Talk about ignorant .....

Ilovefooty likes this.
  11. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

I wonder if part of it is that many reviewers don’t like posting negative reviews. In other words, if you only hear about the equipment that they like, you might assume that they like everything.

12. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

I find Z reviews guy to be a funny watch when I am in the mood. He doesn't give very good sound impressions and he seems like a pedobear in disguise so at least he has those things going for him.

On a serious note, he at least has enough street credibility to get people interested. Doesn't Elac and Schiit Audio (amps -- no speakers) take a similar same approach?

13. Paopawdecarabao

Paopawdecarabao Forum Resident

I get motion sickness most of the time when watching his videos but he was the one who I saw a review from of my first budget Loudspeaker when I started my hometheater before which is the TEAC-LS H265. Used it for about 6 years and still have it.

14. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

You can tell this guy has never been to RMAF (I go every year). The last couple years they have had rooms that have gear for $500.00 all the up to (I think) $5000.00 so people can see what's available at those prices. If I remember right they call them the budget rooms. I went and look at them last year and I must say they had some good equipment at those prices. RMAF is moving to a new hotel this year that is close to the airport (DIA) hoping to bring more people in IMO.

With that said, if the guy in the YouTube video wants to get a room why should I help when rooms like he want to have already exist? Just funny IMHO.

unclefred likes this.
  15. Xarkkon

Xarkkon Would you like a Custom Title? Thread Starter

He did say he's going regardless of whether people pay up or not. If people want to throw money at him, let them. There are much dumber ways to waste money these days. With Twitch streaming millionaires these days, it's hardly surprising for Youtube reviewers to ask for money from viewers. I'd rather that than them asking money from manufacturers.

The recent batch of speakers have had rave reviews for some reason. He does call out on bad ones, but I do find his recent raving of the latest speakers odd. Perhaps they're all that good? I do have Edifiers and know they're real great bang-for-buck so I do agree with one of his reviews. Looks like only those who attend RMAF will find out :D

And he definitely leans more on the entertainment than the technical side, and definitely exaggerates a lot. I just skip through most of his reviews and jump to the end for his conclusion.

For technical reviews, I go to audioscience review and Archimago ;)

16. finn

finn Forum Resident

I think it's a great idea, either he is a genius at getting inexpensive gear to sound pretty damn fine in an average hotel room which will give him major credibility or he will suffer all of the issues that shows generate and have very average sound and still get praise for having a go even if everyone thinks their beside clock radio sounds better.
    It's only $8000 in order to play DJ's for 3 days and have the same conversation over and over again to middle aged men clutching plastic bags of vinyl they already bought 35 years ago but now it's heavier and it goes faster.

macster, bever70 and Don Parkhurst like this.
  17. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

:biglaugh: hilarious but so right ! I would only change 'middle aged men' to 'old men', at least here in Belgium but I guess it's the same everywhere :hide::D.

18. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

And a VERY funny entertainer at that. Glad the OP posted this Z Review dude. I'm getting a good laugh at his other videos especially his review of the best damn headphones on the planet...

Warning: Lots of F-bombs and a rant about those who listen to mono! Freakin' hilarious!

bluesaddict likes this.
  19. rp600m

rp600m Well-Known Member

Zreviews just did a review of the $2000.00 Elac Navis B-51 powered speaker and side it was not worth the price tag. He likes some Elac speakers, just not this one.

He gave the Swan M300 powered speaker a verygood review. Which is why i purchased a pair from Amazon this morning. These speakers have been out of stock at Amazon, but they just got a few pairs in recently. I hope they perform as good as he says. No amp needed...kind of sad, because I have spent a lot of money on amps.

Xarkkon likes this.
  20. Xarkkon

Xarkkon Would you like a Custom Title? Thread Starter

i'm interested to hear your review of the swan m300s once they're in. hope you'll keep us posted :)

head_unit likes this.
  21. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Ah, yes, that Mecca and bastion of the true audio faith...

I do like the idea of showing stuff that is not a zillion dollars. So many bemoan the death of high end audio, but what is the entry point and exposure for newbies?

22. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

This hobby can be a long slog.

23. rp600m

rp600m Well-Known Member

BTW he connected his Swans to computer using a 25 foot long optical cable. :)

I do not listen to music thru computer...YET. I will soon be getting a Mac laptop to listen. For now I use my Sony 333ES SACD player that has optical, coaxil and rca outputs as the source. I can also use my smart phone as source thru Bluetooth.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  24. rp600m

rp600m Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The Swan m300 speakers ($530.00) do sound good.

But the Klipsch rp600m ($550.00) with Hsu 10" subwoofer ($450.00) and DenonPMA 800 receiver ($550.00) sounds a little better . A little more resolution and deeper bass. The Klipsch speaker sounded flat without sub or equalization. Without the sub, the equalization knobs on the Denon easily fixed sound.

Yes that is a VPI Cliffwood in picture. They are now coming with Ortophon Red cartridge installed. Sounds lots better than my older Denon automatic turntable.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  25. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

So did anyone go up and visit this budget gear room at RMAF?
    Any impressions? Did you take anything away from the experience?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.