YouTuber reactionTwins Push Phil Collins' "In The Air Tonight" Back On The Charts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Aug 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

Phil Collins' 'In the Air Tonight' is back on charts after twin YouTubers rapturously reacted to the song - CNN

Phil Collins' 'In the Air Tonight' is back on the charts after twin YouTubers rapturously reacted to the song
    By Scottie Andrew, CNN

Updated 11:13 AM ET, Tue August 11, 2020

[​IMG]

Twins lose it while listening to Phil Collins song for first time 01:05
    Want more inspiring, positive news? Sign up for The Good Stuff, a newsletter for the good in life. It will brighten your inbox every Saturday morning.

(CNN)"In the Air Tonight" has reentered the music charts nearly 40 years after its release. Phil Collins has the Williams brothers to thank.

Tim and Fred Williams, 22-year-old twins and YouTubers, recently filmed themselves listening to Collins' 1981 single for the first time. Their endearing reaction -- dropped jaws, smiling in disbelief when the drum solo drops -- seems to have revived the song's popularity.
    As of Tuesday, "In the Air Tonight" is charting second on iTunes, just behind the days-old Cardi B-Megan Thee Stallion collaboration, "WAP."
    [​IMG]

These are the twins whose first-time reaction to hearing Phil Collins has captured the internet

"In the Air Tonight" never faded into obscurity -- that famous drum breakdown wouldn't go quietly -- but it hadn't exactly found a Gen Z audience. Unlike "Break My Stride," it hadn't achieved TikTok fame.
    Enter the Williams brothers.
    The siblings from Gary, Indiana, film themselves listening to classic artists for the first time and share the clips on YouTube. They've reacted to Whitney Houston, Lauryn Hill and Dolly Parton (who delighted in their positive response to "Jolene").
    But their reaction to Collins' slow-burning single helped them break out. At the beginning of the video, the Williams brothers bobbed their heads to the beat, casually enjoying Collins' wistful musical stylings.
    Then the drums came in. And then the twins went wild.
    The clip now has over 4 million views.
    Collins hasn't commented on the resurgence of his early '80s hit. But film director Ava DuVernay succinctly summed up its success when she shared the twins' video: "And Phil has jumped to the top of iTunes 'cause new folks are discovering and old folk are remembering how dope this song is," she wrote on Twitter.
    Their joyous reaction to a decades-old song was a much-needed antidote to a dismal summer. And maybe, while they're entertaining millions, they'll do for Whitney, Lauryn and Dolly what they did for Collins.
    CNN's Leah Asmelash and Kat Jennings contributed to this report.

2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

So iTunes are "the charts" now??

hi_watt, tug_of_war and Chemguy like this.
  3. Grant

I personally don't like their videos because I don't care for his use of slang and talking so fast I can't understand half of what he's saying. And, they don't seem to be very critical of the songs, just how they are "bangin'". There are other reaction YoTubers I prefer. I guess i'm just getting old(er). :)

hi_watt likes this.
  4. Grant

For the way people listen to music these days, yes. But, I think this was just a way for a fan at CNN to get their favorite guys, and a good song, some new publicity.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  5. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

Well, Wayne’s World pushed Bohemian Rhapsody back onto the charts.
    Is this really all that different?

Grant, PTgraphics, tug_of_war and 3 others like this.
  6. Nothing against Phil but Wish they would lose it over one of Gabriel’s 1980-82 songs

tug_of_war likes this.
  7. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

And "Tiny Dancer" with the movie Almost Famous in a similar vein

tug_of_war and Frozensoda like this.
  8. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I’m not sure that I’ll ever get used to a world where the most important thing is how many “views” or “likes” one gets.

GoodKitty likes this.
  9. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

Old is clearly part of the problem, yes.

10. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Young people look back and discover old music. It’s been happening for decades.

But will old people look forward and discover new music? Only in rare cases.

Jmac1979, Geee!, Sean and 4 others like this.
  11. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

iTunes has a chart.

iTunes is not the charts.

tug_of_war and groundharp like this.
  12. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Another example is Ferris Bueller's Day Off (Matthew Broderick) which featured the Beatle's version of "Twist and Shout" and Back To School (Rodney Dangerfield) which had Dangerfield singing the tune himself. The song charted again in the Summer of '86.
    I didn't mean to turn this into another Beatles thread.

longdist01 and Frozensoda like this.
  13. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

I want to like this response because I totally get it, but somehow it just seems too ironic.

notesofachord likes this.
  14. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

The Cadbury's Gorilla ad from a few years back pushed ITAT to #1 here in NZ..not iTunes, the actual official chart of the nation.

Frozensoda likes this.
  15. ziggytvs

ziggytvs What's so funny about Biggus Dickus?

That's so cool! I love their videos (even if I sometimes am suspicious of how unfamiliar they claim to be haha).

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Beavis and Butthead never died.

17. Grant

For some YouTubers, it isn't. But, then, they don't really turn up on the search results. YouTube's whole scheme is to make money.

BeatleJWOL and notesofachord like this.
  18. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

Charts died in the mid 1980s...

19. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Nike did nothing for Cop Shoot Cop.

20. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

It didn't just chart...it was on the radio EVERYWHERE CONSTANTLY.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.