Yvette Vickers remains found Mummified

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by xman, May 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

2. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

3. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Her father was Chuck Vedder, a jazz saxophonist who released several 45s in the '50s.

4. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

Thanks for this. I actually lurk on that forum every now and then. Some interesting info on there. It seems her paranoia and possible burgeoning dementia (?) blocked her away from people.

5. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

Man, some more reading at that monster forum and it seems it may have been suicide.

6. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Rek-o-Kut. Rondine B12-H. Micropoise was the name of the arm style, again made by Rek-o-Kut.

7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Nice.

8. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Yeh. Apparently there was someone operating it too, but I didn't notice that :angel:

9. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

There's a half-naked woman in the photo, too, guys.

10. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Respectfully, thinking of her *now* kind of makes that not so appealing. I like the turntable though.

11. xman

xman Active Member Thread Starter

12. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

So, she was in "Attack of the 50 ft. Woman", "Attack of the Giant Leeches" and "Mummy Dearest"?

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yvette will always be this to me...

[​IMG]

Did she ever meet The Amazing Colossal Man? Maybe have brunch or something?

14. buckeye1010

buckeye1010 Zephead Buckeye

15. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

Vickers played the husband's lover in the movie, not the titular character on the poster, who was Allison Hayes.

16. xman

That poster is that of Allyson Hayes (Giant). Yvette played the sleazy girlfriend of the philandering husband.

17. ringosshed

ringosshed Forum Resident

Mummy Dearest!! It's hard not to laugh.

18. xman

No such movie as "Mummy Dearest" with Yvette Vickers. Just someone's poor taste at humor.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Did I get that wrong? I could swear she was the giant woman. So she was the floozy! Good to know.

Aaaaa, you see these B-movies, everything runs together after awhile.

20. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

I've read about people in NYC who die in the summer with the AC on and everything is done through automated banking so nobody knows anything until somebody goes into the apartment years later.

Chad

21. Very sad.

R.I.P. Yvette... :angel:

22. xman

Maybe you saw this promotion created for Yvette Vickers,
    "Attack of the 50 Foot Pinup" poster by George Chastain

Attached Files:

23. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

It was certainly a poor attempt at making a joke but let's try to be honest.

Why do we care so much about her death while nobody cared so much about the actual person? By all reports, she spent her final years in seclusion, both by choice and because few people actually tried to get in touch with her, including the numerous fans who miss her.
    Her biggest reason for fame was a part in a cult B-movie but, once again, it was actually Allison Hayes's part that made it iconic, up to the point people here thought it was her who had passed away. Allison's character just spends the movie dancing and drinking with her lover in a bar. That's her part. Hayes's life is actually a much sadder and more interesting story if you read about it on Wikipedia.
    Vickers was a pin-up who had a full life (married twice, dated Cary Grant and Timothy Hutton's father, was a jazz singer) until she started, in her final years, being a recluse and, according to a few reports, paranoid about being stalked. She died one year ago (and I sincerely hope it was peaceful), nobody noticed until the pile of junk mail on her front yard was too high. Her demise is sad but it's a footnote in the story of the myriads of B-movie queens or Playboy centerfolds from the 50s.

The reason for which her ends strikes us as tragic is that we can relate to it. It taps into our fears that we could die alone and forgotten by our relatives and friends. Do you want a really sad recent death? Gerard Smith, bass player for TV on the Radio, passed away at 36 from cancer, one month after being diagnosed.
    On a music focused forum such as this, Smith's death drew almost no reaction while he was in one of the most interesting bands these days. We can't picture ourselves dying at 36 from a galloping cancer. We can picture ourselves aging and having no friends when we die. While it's in our reach to stay in touch and maintain relationships.
    So, sorry if I look insensitive with my joke, but I try not to focus on a childhood memory and a few scenes from a cult B-movie to ultimately pity about myself. Let's spend time with our friends and loved ones instead.

24. I have seen "Attack Of The 50 Foot Woman" and in my opinion there is no way she was in her early 20s when it was made, more like 30. In fact I had a VHS tape of this movie back in the late '80s. I played it for my son when he was very young just as a joke, thinking he would not like it and he loved it and watched it several times. Often he would ask, Dad can I watch "tack of foo woman".

I found this news release from IMDb.

[​IMG]

I know that titular means she was the title character which was wrong but I think the writer had a sense of humor. This is sad news of course and I am going to try to find information about her life since it seems so odd that a movie star/Playboy Playmate could end up so alone that this could happen.

25. That is correct and something like this could never happen to Allyson Hayes. A neighbor would be able to hear her when she fell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.