Zappa 71 Complete Fillmore Shows Coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockin_since_58, Jan 13, 2022.

1. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

IIRC, it was Mark Volman who suggested this theory on a DVD "Freak Jazz, Movie Madness And Another Mothers" released in 2014.
    On that same DVD Aynsley seemed to support Mark's theory about the lyrics of "Divan" being the reason for this divine intervention (in Montreux and London).
    I don't know if Mark is now "born again" Christian, but in that interview he seemed far more serious than the raunchy vocalist we all know from '70-'71 Mothers.

OhmWalsh2 and Elmer McMuffin like this.
  2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

In the Rainbow Theatre show FZ has them perform an abbreviated version of "Divan" (already released on YCDTOSA 1) saying that it "wouldn't be wise" to perform the whole piece. It is possible he meant that they wouldn't have time or would have trouble doing it with the unfamiliar equipment but this may have fueled the "superstition" theory that members of the band have mentioned.

ParloFax likes this.
  3. Paul Van

Paul Van Forum Resident

At one point, this would have been an automatic purchase for me. But I stopped collecting Zappa after Frank's death feeling that anything after that point wouldn't have his 'stamp of approval' on it.

In the past year though, I've been easing back in, seeing what's available. There is certainly an embarrassment of riches in his catalogue.

However, finances dictate I must be more selective with what I collect. So I will be living vicariously and watching to see how everyone reacts/reviews this set when it comes out.

Zafu and Doggiedogma like this.
  4. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

The kick drum sample is definitely there. Here's two consecutive samples of the same section of "The Illinois Enema Bandit". The first is taken from the Zappa Records 2012 CD which contains the remix and is digitally identical to all the previous CD editions. The second sample is from the original mix as included in the 2019 boxset. This is the mix that also appears on "Läther".

Aside from the differences in equalization and the remix being drenched in reverb, the timbre of the kick drum is noticeably different in the two samples.

folkfreak and vivalapsych like this.
  5. alakulju

Oh boy, you have some catching up to do...

6. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

Makes one wonder how many black metal musicians got thrown into an orchestra pit.

Anthrax, izgoblin, danner and 3 others like this.
  7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Several differences there (the original mix sounds more like a studio track with FZ's vocal and O'Hearn's bass both having a pseudo-stereo effect and Ray White's guitar fills panning around the mix, while in the remix every element is fixed at a single spot and it sounds more live, although all that reverb mucks it up) and it is true the bass drum sound is different although I'm not certain it's the same treatment as on YCDTOSA 2.

8. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Well, Zappa's "stamp of approval" was essentially in the performances he gave, so anything in the vault is going to be fair game. I'd say a great majority of the releases that have come out since his passing have been essential. Don't hesitate or wait for public approval, dive in.

9. E()

E() Cat Herder

This should be pretty interesting.

Like many on this thread my original exposure to the F & E era was the Fillmore/Just Another Band albums which do not show what the band was fully capable of on stage. Playground got closer but it wasn't until Road Tapes 3 and Carnegie Hall that I got a better idea of how good the band could be. Looking forward to more of that in this set.

10. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

...he was heard to mutter 'Jeezus'!

dlokazip and gd0 like this.
  11. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

Collecting or Not Collecting is understandable. While many of us old school Rock and Rollers have thousands of tittles of music on various forms of physical media how much physical media we can buy, store and keep in our lifestyle is a detailed topic.

Unfortunately I recently lost several hundred albums in a flood. With mold I am still analyzing, the numbers could swell. We are luck much of FZs vaults survived. While it hurts my loss is nothing compared to lives lost in the flood or any life lost.

What the Zappa Trust have accomplished is of highest acclaim. Frank's Stamp Of Approval is preposterous. Enjoy what you will but as you question I wonder if Frank would have approved of The Roxy Movie, a Holy Grail of many. Questions, Questions, Questions.

The choice of any physical purchase has a variety of variables but waiting to see how others react should not affect your listing to this or any project. I believe all of the catalogue is available to listen to on paid and free streaming services. The choice of what form of playback, so many choices and fidelity options are available.

No matter what anyone does, they can be Strictly Genteel.

Enjoy your lifestyle choices , it's a great time to be alive.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  12. ZappaHolic

ZappaHolic Active Member

I'm pumped for this release!
    I will purchase the vinyl options of Filmore East and Rainbow. I've purposefully passed on purchasing a used copy of Filmore East. I prefer the reissues over the originals. (My wife says I'm a fool for this.) I've also avoided listening to the record via a streaming platform. I've waited about 5 years to listen to this record and I'm super excited to finally hear it. Not to mention the added bonus content and the Rainbow show.
    I think I most look forward to hearing Billy The Mountain. I have no idea what to expect and I look forward to giving these records a SPIN.
    Can't wait!

Auntie Pho and jay.dee like this.
  13. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

That's beautiful, listening to vinyl is a beautiful thing. I recently bought a new pre-amp, unfortunately with major life challenges, the passing of family and destruction caused by floods of Gods Grey Earth have caused a backlog. I will surely get back to listening to vinyl. With hopes about 800 LPs survived a flood, CDs and Streaming are also a blessing. I left behind 8 Track, Cassette and Reel to Reel quite some time ago but believe it or not a friend still loves collecting cassette and reel to reel.

Enjoy your SPIN.

Zafu likes this.
  14. Auntie Pho

Auntie Pho Metal Dad

Personally I am glad we do not have to get Frank's seal of approval on many of the treasures we got since he passed. We know all too well what his stamp of approval gave us with initial CD editions of his albums.
    I cannot believe how much joy I have gotten from the Zappa releases in the last decade or so.
    Now if we can get the full early show from November 8 1974, and hell, throw in the late show too, then I will be satisfied until the next release

15. alakulju

Well, if we're back in wish list mode, I'd like to hear an official release of Mothers' Day '73, also from Passaic, NJ.
    That show is easily in my top ten Zappa shows.

jay.dee, vivalapsych and Auntie Pho like this.
  16. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Somehow The Beatles Fishing for Mud Sharks at The Edgewater Inn fits quite nicely.

dlokazip, vince, alakulju and 4 others like this.
  17. vivalapsych

vivalapsych Forum Resident

Still waiting for these to show up on Amazon USA. Say what you will, but it’s my preferred way to get new releases. The pre-order almost always gets me the best deal. Free shipping, on time delivery (at least in my region), 5% off with Prime and easy to use tracking.

That being said…looks like I was snubbed for the Faust vinyl box (a far more independent release than FZ as well as being an import) Delays upon delay and now it appears to be vapor. I was never charged it must be said.

Sherwood SST likes this.
  18. morwells

morwells Forum Resident

Dont lose hope on Faust Box just yet. US distribution has now been delayed once again till March 25

vivalapsych likes this.
  19. Philip Gruber

Philip Gruber Forum Resident

Not just that but being the perfectionist, there was no way he would have released all the shows we've since had, as he admitted a few times during his final years that he didn't like the idea of releasing complete shows basically because none lived up to his "100% perfect" performance criterias, even implying it was painful hearing less than perfect performances. Ruth Underwood admitted with "Roxy By Proxy" there was no way FZ would ever had issued that album and those performances. He did however admit in one of those interviews being surprised by how much good stuff there were on the 1971 Fillmore tapes. For my money, I'm happy to enjoy whatever we get warts, flubs and all as sure, they may not be 100% perfect but the rocking teenage combos still gave their best shots in a variety of conditions and pressures and there's a lot of unique moments.

jay.dee, vince, Auntie Pho and 4 others like this.
  20. Uncle_Meat

Uncle_Meat Forum Resident

I listened to Waka Jawaka at the weekend and was thinking about how much is possibly unreleased from those sessions.

21. barfko

barfko A peccary of destiny, adventure and romance.

22. Jim Duckworth

Jim Duckworth I can't lose with the stuff I use.

I am wondering if Mothers 1970 and Mothers 1971 will be followed by a series of boxsets showcasing that year's Mothers. If so, it means that there will finally be a set devoted to the Jean Luc Ponty, Fowler Brothers, Ian and Ruth Underwood, George Duke Mothers. This would work supremely well for me.

23. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

Inflation is one thing, but the cost of living was less back then, and boomers were getting decent jobs out of high school, too. The dollar took you further than it does today.

24. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

Much of what was released from 1994-2016, aside from full concert releases, did have Frank's stamp of approval, it just didn't get released soon enough.

Zappateer likes this.
  25. alakulju

Yes! Now that theRoxy is already done and out of the way, the '73 box could bring us the Summer Australian Tour, when the equipment was run on "cerosine in WW1 conditions".
    Some of the best improvisations ever, wonderful stuff from Ponty, Duke etc. And the Mothers' Day show from Passaic NJ would be a killer bonus!