Zappa 71 Complete Fillmore Shows Coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockin_since_58, Jan 13, 2022.

1. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

This is pure speculation, but one possible plan is to create a 40th anniversary edition of Just Another Band From L.A. Disc one could be the contents of the withdrawn two-LP version with the longer, 34-minute "Billy The Mountain", "The Subcutaneous Peril", and "An Easy Substitute For Eternity Itself". The latter two tracks were edited down from "A Pound For A Brown" and "King Kong" off of Carnegie Hall. "The Subcutaneous Peril" on Finer Moments is a different edit, but contains a good chunk of the material from both tracks. Then, another CD or two could include whatever other Pauley Pavilion material that they have in the vault. I don't know if tapes of the complete Pauley Pavilion shows exist in the vault, but anything is possible.

2. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

Anything released that was recorded between 1972-1975 is an auto-buy for me.

3. porter_esq

porter_esq Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    This guy gets it.

4. UMO

UMO Forum Resident

Absolutely same here.

5. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Agreed 100%

warewolf95, Sherwood SST and UMO like this.
  6. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

Anything Frank ever recorded, I'm all in.

7. Elmer McMuffin

Elmer McMuffin Forum Resident

71-82 for me. Take. My. Money.

8. Johnny Formica

Johnny Formica Forum Resident

Same here.

barfko, warewolf95 and Galeans like this.
  9. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

I hope I can ask this without it being too "negative" but, in your opinion, what happened with Frank's music after 1975 that makes it not an auto-buy for you?

warewolf95 and Elmer McMuffin like this.
  10. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

I don't gamble, smoke, but a handful of social engagement drinks in a year. Outside of storage, there's no other vice. Best analogy I can think of Zappa's is Food.

warewolf95, barfko and Johnny Formica like this.
  11. barfko

barfko A peccary of destiny, adventure and romance.

Now also available as pre-order from G&S Music @ £50 -

Zappa Records

warewolf95 likes this.
  12. Zappateer

Zappateer Forum Resident

My only vice is music and the most addictive music is Zappa. All it took was just one listen and you are hooked for life. That was 1968 and it still sounds better than any other form of music. That being said I am an automatic customer for whatever they release.

13. Islands

Islands Forum Resident

It's not so much what happened after, as I enjoy all eras of FZ's music, it's that I enjoy that era so much I don't have to think twice before buying. After '75, depending on what's being released, I don't feel like I need to own everything the second it's released, particularly if I'm not in a Zappa mood when it comes out. The exception would be anything with Vinnie C on it, and anything from the '88 band.

14. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

I couldn't agree more. Started around the same time between the ages of 3 and 4.

To have a brother and cousin 8 years older than you was the ticket, while their names were not Loeb and Leopold it was not unlike that history lesson.While too young for the live shows every album since I was very young until the day I die.

The common phrase in my house was 10 years ahead of his time. Then their was the noises that went something like this.

"Freak me out Frank. Weh-ne-heh, Hehn-weh-ni-heh-ni-heh. Mini-mini-heh mini-hehn"

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
    Instant Dharma and warewolf95 like this.
  15. keef285

keef285 Forum Resident

Brown shoes don't make it......first heard it in 1969, been hooked ever since.

Doggiedogma and warewolf95 like this.
  16. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

This is a very interesting question and I'd like to see some opinions / answers.
    Without any statistical or scientific evidence, I would suggest two points:
    - More static set lists
    - Frank's relationship with his musicians became closer to employer / employee.
    This is just my feeling, not to put anybody down, but in the earlier bands the personality of the musicians was more "shining through".

danner, Instant Dharma, UMO and 2 others like this.
  17. Zappateer

Zappateer Forum Resident

Whereas I prefer Zappa 66 thru 76 and 1988. Each band had its specialty. Yes in the early bands the members were able to shine more but that is not to say the cast of characters in the later bands didn’t also shine thru it is just Zappa took over most of the focus. IMO it is all good and they are all automatic purchases.

18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

For me 1978-80 is closer to "autobuy" than 1971.

Instant Dharma and warewolf95 like this.
  19. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

"As Travers keenly confirmed in his always enlightening liner notes, the Fillmore East 1971 tapes were “the first time that The Mothers were recorded live on 16-track analog tape. Previously, all live recordings were captured on 1-inch 8-track or lower.”

So very much to look forward to, between what new mixing will be done and audio mechanics that we are accustomed to but there may be some tracks during this time frame where glorious HD transfers and NLightening EQ adjustments is all we'll get with some. Don't get me wrong all still very much in another audio galaxy realm as to previous releases of some of the material of that era.

I have seen fans wanting a full Just Another Band From LA Pauley Pavilion show. From memory those tapes are 4 track skully. As I research Carnegie Hall is even a bit more war-field than I had remembered

"The Carnegie Hall tapes were originally recorded at 7 1/2ips on a concealed Nagra mono machine using one Electrovoice 664 microphone. These tapes were processed through an Orban Stereo Matrix (ambience generator) and re-equalized to simulate stereo. Our apologies for the recording quality on side 4. We felt the solos were interesting enough to warrant the use of the substandard audio replicas." - FZ

There will always be something missed. We keep getting so much stuff and really fine audio. Was listening to Carnegie Hall, Dog Breath with the Terry Kath Secret Chord Variations . FZ tearing it up With Flo & Eddie doing Chicago Horns. I'd have loved to hear a 16 track recording of that Dog Breath arrangement. From memory the Carnegie tapes may not have been 16 track. Yes research shows field mono, Joe Travers and Company delivered amazing sound from live mono. Back in the day when Joe was performing for ZPZ they gave great fidelity all around. Would be great to hear The Zappa Band play the arrnagement. Vocally Ray, Bobby and Mike would certainly do an amazing job with the horns and solo. Who knows, Jamie Kime would certainly do a great Terry Kath. Ironically Chicago's most appreciated live recordings came from Carnegie Hall.

We can just keep watching and waiting. Joe Travers is always on duty.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
    jay.dee, warewolf95, alakulju and 2 others like this.
  20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

FZ mentioned that Carnegie Hall was taped on a hidden mono recorder (maybe trying to dodge union fees). Pauley Pavilion was recorded on the portable Scully four-track.

21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

…and Jeezus thinks you’re a jerk ;)

22. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

Yes, at a point I had well remembered but as we all are getting older with 120 plus projects the memory bank fades. I did include Frank's comments in an edit.

As I think back to first hearing Carnegie Hall I was amazed, how that 1 hidden microphone gave us the sound of that hall. Frank makes commentary in Auspicious Occasion that leads to many layers of thinking.

FZ: Yeah. But I think this evening, because this is such an auspicious occasion—the desecration of Carnegie Hall itself.... Right before going into Divan. Makes you think of the desecration, it had layers of spiritual elements not only with God but with Carnegie Hall.

I was discussing Carnegie Hall tapes with Gail Zappa at the Gregory Peccary concert at Carnegie Hall. At that point I was not sure we'd ever have a chance to hear the Carnegie Hall tapes. Carnegie was not an easy venue with allowing and releasing live recordings. It's all a great example of how lucky we are.

Joe is always on duty.

jay.dee, dlokazip and warewolf95 like this.
  23. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Just found this thread and news.

This is AWESOME!!!

JABFLA was the first Zappa I heard (alongside OSFA and Overnite Sensation in the same night) so I always have a fondness for the Flo and Eddie stuff.

Blue Note and Instant Dharma like this.
  24. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

FWIW though, aside from the officially released material, nothing circulates from these shows so they are mostly totally unheard :)

Galeans likes this.
  25. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

So thankful that I'm not a really big fan of this era. Now if they ever give The Grand Wazoo some love....

Jim Duckworth and warewolf95 like this.