Zappa 71 Complete Fillmore Shows Coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockin_since_58, Jan 13, 2022.

1. alakulju

alakulju Music is the best! - FZ

This!:righton:

2. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

That 68 Page Booklet is worth the price of admission. For fans that love physical media. This is a big one. QoBuz has liner notes and is HD Audio. I have really liked QoBuz. Download and Streams are amazing at QoBuz and other HD Audio stream retailers.

Otherwise The Planet of this earth we live, ....stream stremedy Stream go ahead......stream stremedy Stream go ahead.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  3. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Eye Roll. Heavy Sigh.

I really didn't think this needed to be spelled out but:

It's 'God's Great Earth'.

Great googly moogly anyway...

4. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

While the term God's Great Earth is a popular phrase in religious circles Zappa was making a parody of the earth being Grey instead of Great. Frank's creativity in 75 was amazing. That's why I suggested an idea for a box set of all work in 75'.

This was all written on or about the time of the upcoming Bicentennial of the USA. While you are researching go to a hotel in Allentown PA, have a glass of orange juice about as big as your finger and a bowl of horribly foreshortened cornflakes,

"This is the life!"...

That's parody, perverted American Ideals, that's used in The Pope Of Greenwich Village. A character talks about being at a Frank Sinatra Concert at MSG, 2 seats away from Tony Bennett, that's success . Like spending all your money that is not even yours on a concert ticket up front defines success. Paulie borrows money, rats out an old man, gets his thumb cut off, kills a gangster, yeah success. See the film. It came long after Muffin Man but it shows how warped Americans are about stuff.

Paulie:
    Nicky don't go for spit. 'Nose' still shines his own shoes, pop. I don't call that success.

Paulie's Father:
    Oh yeah? And what do you call it?

Paulie:
    Knowin' how to spend it. I never ordered a Brandy in my life that wasn't Cordon Bleu... I took two-hundred from shylocks, pop, to see Sinatra at the Garden? Sat two seats away from Tony Bennett. That's success!

Frank is making a total spoof on the American Way Of Life, It's dark.

Seek other clues in 200 Years Old and The Adventures of Greggery Peccary.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
  5. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

He's not my cup of tea for sure. I owe you a dollar.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Just relistened...yep, "God's grey Earth."

Galeans, rlp, bicyclops and 3 others like this.
  7. Swansong

Swansong From Planet Earth

This release is still not listed on Amazon or Bull Moose yet, and UME sent me an email with it listed right on the top of the page. I guess we’ll have to wait and see when this showsup for preorder.

vivalapsych likes this.
  8. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm normally in with Amazon

9. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Elmer McMuffin likes this.
  10. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Just sharing this. ;)

vivalapsych and Swansong like this.
  11. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

12. bridgeless

bridgeless Forum Resident

I’m really surprised this isn’t on Amazon yet. They’re trying to make me order from uDiscover but I haven’t loved my experience with them from the handful of times I’ve used them.

vivalapsych, ODShowtime and Swansong like this.
  13. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

Pre-Orders are always an itchy time. You get in deep and have true religion. Between 200 Motels, this and pining for a massive 1975 Mother's Box Set, Boing.

14. Swansong

Swansong From Planet Earth

The Grand Wazoo & Waka/Jawaka period is one of the best musical outputs in Frank’s catalog, and I hope there is enough material to do an extensive set. I already have the material released posthumously, but I’m hungry for more (if any) of that line up. Just brilliant stuff indeed.

15. MrBitey

MrBitey Forum Resident

There are some Georde Duke compositions recorded with the GW band during those sessions which would hopefully be included. Maybe a studio version of New Brown Clouds exists too...

16. barfko

barfko A peccary of destiny, adventure and romance.

Available from G&S Music for £50 - click on link for details.

Zappa Records

17. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

As I said upthread :righton:

Galeans and bicyclops like this.
  18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

So far all that has leaked out is the alternate "Waka Jawaka" on Quaudiophiliac (same basic performance, but longer solos and a weird guitar synth solo at the end instead of the horn melody). My guess is that there is some other stuff along those lines they could release, maybe late this year or early next.

folkfreak, Swansong and Zappateer like this.
  19. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

Really looking forward to this box. In my 60th year living in NYC. Thinking back to the many great shows at The Fillmore East, family members went to see Zappa Mother's at The Fillmore East., The Allman Brothers performing from the 2AM hour until around 7AM, Edgard Winter, Humble Pie, J. Geils and so many other great bands. While I never made it there all these complete run of shows Fillmore box sets are something we could never imagined when the place closed.

ODShowtime likes this.
  20. bicyclops

bicyclops Forum Resident

Definitely "gray", not "great"

21. Once and for all:

In the Zweitausendeins Songbook, hand-corrected by FZ, it is "God's grey earth". This passage is even underlined by FZ in the book, page 472.

One can also look it up here: Bongo Fury

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  22. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

"Hi, I'm Eddie Sincere!. And even though I'm a hot shot Warner Brothers Promo Man and I know what's happening and I'm heavy and everything."... I still like The Mothers of Invention. Especially the 6 CD Box Set with the picture of Frank Zappa sitting and holding his guitar on the front.

vince and shadowcurtain like this.
  23. sbeaupre

sbeaupre Everything must go

I'm looking forward to all permutations of this release.

But I'm especially trying to decode the description of the 3-LP expanded version of the original Fillmore East - June 1971 album.

"Significantly, the vinyl version of Fillmore East has been expanded to include vintage, period-perfect Zappa mixes, some of which are not included in the CD box set and can’t be found anywhere else.
    The original album appears on Sides 1 and 2, while Sides 3, 4, 5, and 6 contain the original “Billy The Mountain” as well as Zappa’s original version of the John & Yoko encore along with other material from the original mix sessions of the Fillmore East album.

As Travers keenly confirmed in his always enlightening liner notes, the Fillmore East 1971 tapes were “the first time that The Mothers were recorded live on 16-track analog tape. Previously, all live recordings were captured on 1-inch 8-track or lower.”

Barry Keene, the recording engineer for these dates, also used a ¼-inch 2-track machine to capture a line mix. Though not all of the 16-track tapes have survived over the years, Travers and company were able to utilize the 2-track board tapes to fill in any missing gaps."

Anyone care to venture what we might be getting, sound-wise?

There are references to period-perfect Zappa mixes, other material from original mix sessions, Zappa's first use of 16-track analog tape to record live, Travers and company's use of 2-track board tapes to fill in the gaps. I'm greatly looking forward to the set, but I'm wondering how that all adds up?

OhmWalsh2 likes this.
  24. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

Yeah, this is the (theoretical) box I am saving my pennies for.

sbeaupre likes this.
  25. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

A friendly neighborhood message from COVID Quarantine.

Where you finish with "I'm wondering how that all adds up?"

I don't know what type of math you are looking for. Details on each edit. I do hope for a form of that type of reporting in a Zappacast or more detailed ZappaVideoCast.

Surely the Zappa Trust have shown how they bring the finest fidelity to 2 track safeties, I'd have to go back and see if any of the live Vaulternative releases used 2 track board tapes but off the top of my head FZ:OZ used some fan AUD tapes to fill some the gaps. By memory maybe the show had 1 tape machine running and when they were swapping tape reels during a live performance there were gaps in the concert tapes, so minor AUD insertions to fill in some gaps.

There are a number of studio releases where Joe and Company have used 2 track safety reels for albums. If I remember correctly one early on in Joe's work #70 forward may be We're Only In It For The Money . I would have to go research all published data.

I feel very confident all around. With EQ and Audio Mechanic work, be it FZs mixes, new mixes, 16 track, 2 track board tapes. The Zappa Trust deliver.

Joe is on Duty

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    Ben Adams and sbeaupre like this.