Zappa 71 Complete Fillmore Shows Coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockin_since_58, Jan 13, 2022.

1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

There was a promo video on Instagram with a version of "Peaches" from one of the Fillmore shows (I'm not sure how to link it here). Sounded good. The Fillmore stuff on Playground Psychotics and YCDTOSA 6 sounded fine too as far as I remember. Not sure how the two-track stuff will compare, or how much of it they needed to use.

They always share several "teaser" tracks in the months leading up to the release.

sbeaupre likes this.
  2. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

3. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

4. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

https://youtu.be/U0YkPnwoYyE
    My time is yours. It sounds glorious. Sounds like the music is coming from many different areas of a clock. I hesitate to use the term 360 because that is used elsewhere but it is as remarkable as first hearing Sting's The Soul Cages that had some spacial engineering applied where stereo sound could be heard from all different spaces in the stereo field.

I've listened to this clip on repeat a few times and I am blown away. Sound is moving around like a carefully designed pinball machine of stereo.

I would not be surprised if this box set brings forth new believers of this period of music. The layers of the music have never been heard with this detail. It's a revelation, like THX1138. Blessing of the masses, by the masses, for the masses, a subject of the divine. True believers of the state. For anyone that knows that confession could suit the non-believers well. Let us be thankful we have this box set. And be happy!

Login • Instagram

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    Jack likes this.
  5. Trendmonger (OhmWalsh2), what happened? He seemed to be o.k. for years, but is now again hijacking every new Zappa thread. Had to put him on ignore.

Anthrax, vivalapsych, ctoelle and 4 others like this.
  6. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

7. Jack

Jack Senior Member

While all of us wait for the next installment, Bull Moose has just put up a lot of out of print Zappa cds. I just bought a bunch. On the WEA/Rhino and Zappa labels.

8. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

There is so very much to celebrate.A look into those final days. Back to COVID Quarantine.Peace

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    Zappateer likes this.
  9. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

The brief audio sample of Peaches En Regalia that's been posted in Instagram has given an aural glimpse into just how good the Fillmore material will finally sound. 100 tracks and 68 Page booklet will be far more representative, a deep dive into so very much about the band, as compared to the original quick assembly bootleg type album released in 71'.

While we can have hope for the Pauley Pavilion show to get a release one day, we can see the source limitations of those reels in comparison to The Fillmore tapes and other source material in the box.

The recording of the Pauley Show, mixdown story and results are quite amazing. I just have a feeling that sources used for the Fillmore project enabled for an overall listening experience with higher standards. I could be wrong but maybe something in the lines of what we heard in a separate Vaulternative release would suit the Pauley Pavilion show better. Not much of a mixing option from the source limitations. Maybe a mixdown from a Scully to 2 track with audio mechanics applied.

A toast to a full Pauly Pavilion show some day. They probably only had 1 machine so when reels were changed during the live show the Zappa Trust may have to resort to AUD to fill the gaps. Certainly nothing new here but with hopes some find this information useful.
    Peace

Interesting article on JABFLA and Scully 4track YouTube Vid

Barrymore Keene, "Recording Engineer History," Ohm Lad Music
    "I'm really proud of this recording. I recorded the band using just two microphones. Instead of using dozens of mics, I set the mix using the volume controls of the band's instrument amplifiers. I told them if they needed to hear their instrument with more volume, they had to call in a roadie and have their amplifier moved higher or closer to them. The point was, if they turned up their amp, the album would be ruined. They trusted me completely. As a result, the album's sound is their sound—not a studio mix. I recorded direct to a four track. Frank and I then simply mixed 4-to-2 at Ike Turner's "Bolic Sound" studio in Inglewood. That was some night. I'm sure all of us remember it well.

Frank was still recovering from his injuries from the mishap at the Rainbow Theater in London. With a broken leg, I was transporting him to the studio on a mattress I'd put in the back of my '47 Chevy panel truck. [...] I moved him from the Chevy to his wheel chair and rolled him into the recording studio to supervise as I mixed Just Another Band From LA.

The four tracks we had were stage left, stage right, vocals and one track of room sound (recorded by a KM86 at stage center, facing away from the stage). I put the room sound mono track thru a mono-to-stereo converter, mixed in the band and vocals and we were done. We then ran the whole show thru this system onto a 2-track. This was mastered into the Just Another Band From LA album. Easy as pie.
    "

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
  10. Volga

Volga Forum Resident

One interesting thing will be listening to the Rainbow recordings without the beefed-up bass drum track.

11. SM7609

SM7609 Forum Resident

There shall (of course) be a ZappaCast special episode devoted to the making of this box :D

edenofflowers, Galeans and OhmWalsh2 like this.
  12. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

And I was hoping for a 4 episode extravaganza, 1 Fillmore Tapes, 1Rainbow, 1 Hybrid Show and 1 on the 68Page Booklet. As much as my desires are a token of my extreme, in all sincerity I can not give enough thanks for all that you, Joe and Phil are doing.❤️☮️

Zappateer likes this.
  13. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

You're making me wish this was a thing!!!

OhmWalsh2 likes this.
  14. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

In regards to a ZappaVideoCast. Sure been watching and waiting, hoping for the best. The team is doing an excellent job in their current format. Can you imagine a video database that Phil Surkis could work with. The same way he is using audio samples. The Zappacast just keeps getting better.

Nothing against the dialogue in any of the shows but the producers could build a massive database of audio and video samples that could be used on the fly or with post production edits. Who's to say that such a database in some form is not already in progress.

Login • Instagram (Fillmore Box set Promo)

So to keep things on topic here with The Fillmore Box, we can see an Instagram production by the Zappa Trust. That's very tasty in visual and audio. Ethy'l's Vacation has a long journey. Technology just keeps.. moving forward. Not so secretly we can vision where things are headed. We'll have thoughts and our digital database will playback far beyond what we can remember at a given moment. Black Mirror TV series focuses so much on technology.

Kudos to Scott Parker, Joe Travers and Phil Surkis for all the work they put into the Zappacast.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  15. vince

Here's a question for all you F&E-lovers...:
    Did they record with T. Rex before or after the Rainbow incident?

16. Zappateer

Zappateer Forum Resident

I believe it was recorded in early 1971 at Walley Heider Studios in Los Angles. It was worked on at Howard’s house the night before. It charted in the UK in late 71 and was released in the US and Canada in 72.

17. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

And if you're a consenting adult we want you to call today. In Los Angeles, the number is RIchmond 9-6135, in Downey, it's 347-8932.

Call it direct,
    Call it collect,
    But call it today!

edenofflowers and shadowcurtain like this.
  18. vince

Perhaps, it can be shown of Joe's YouTube Channel!
    He just made a 'quick one' about Varese:

bicyclops likes this.
  19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Have you read Howard's book? Some fun stories and a fairly detailed account of the Zappa era from his perspective.

dlokazip likes this.
  20. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

I wonder why the ZFT haven't approached (or maybe they have?) Howard &/or Mark to provide sleeve notes for this set?

vince likes this.
  21. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

Watched Joe's video a short while ago. It was working fine watching in YouTube. Spent lots of time in my youth listening to those records Joe is showing. For Joe to take the time and share his enthusiasm for those records. I hope any fan of Frank's music takes the time a listens to Varese. The influence of Varese means so very much on Frank's music. A link to Joe's YouTube Channel below.

https://youtube.com/channel/UCqH0Xycsrbvc7dH9rpATuuA

22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Some band members have good relations with the Trust and others don't. I seem to remember that for some reason Howard and Mark landed in the second category. They've talked/written a lot about this era though.

23. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

Took a solid listen to the original Fillmore 71 album this weekend, first time in years and I still enjoyed it just as much as I did in college. Very unique time in Zappas career, and the creativity in both the material and the band is through the roof. Can’t wait to hear this in much improved sound, and take a mind journey back to the simpler times of the Fillmore. Very much looking forward to this.

24. vince

In the comments, i always write, " Love your vids....now,Get back to work!"
    Hope he takes it for the joke I intend...

edenofflowers likes this.
  25. OhmWalsh2

OhmWalsh2 Forum Resident

I do hope he sees that with good heart intent. While I get the gist of your comment is not the vid itself work. I don't think this vid is too far a tangent to show Joe is On Duty.

Could we not see the video planting a seed of sorts? While the Varese Vinyl I have, and loaned, were purchased in the 70s and 80s when Rage and the Fury gets a release the perspective of a Vinyl release will be something very special. Nothing against the HD Audio but classical vinyl is a most unique and rewarding specimen. Especially Varese.

Loaned this 77 Finder Records print out close to 40 years ago, FZ article that appeared in Stereo Review in 71 Edgard Varese The Idol Of My Youth written on the back cover, still awaiting to be returned. It's like a Cheech and Chong skit. Twig, where's my Varese Album? We had Stereo review in the house too, unfortunately no longer have magazine article.The 3 albums that Joe mentions were all staples in the 70s and 80s.

Hotcha, Yes that Stereo Review also connects with Fillmore, June 71'

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022