Zappa 71 Complete Fillmore Shows Coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockin_since_58, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Jack

Jack Senior Member

First heard the 1971 album in college, with a tank of nitrous. 52 years later, I am in for all three editions.

2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Nice. Glad the collab with LennOno will finally be released in full.

Agree the inclusion of vinyl only tracks is obnoxious.

3. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

It was released on Playground Psychotics although I'm guessing that this will be a different mix.

MungoMusic, Library Eye and Galeans like this.
  4. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

I'm in for the cd box, along with the tank of nitro - giddy up!

5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

That was incomplete, just in different ways than the Lennon release. I believe it lacked the King Kong "head" as one example.

6. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

This is a very smart release, IMO. It is very much in the spirit of The Roxy Performances. Adding in the Rainbow Theatre show and excerpts from Harrisburg and Scranton are a nice touch.

I'm on the fence as to what form I will get. Much of this material is well represented between Fillmore East, June 1971, Playground Psychotics, and You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, but presented piecemeal. Here, we get the contiguous performances.

So, no pre-order for me, but I will be eager to listen. I am especially interested comparing the variations of "Billy The Mountain" to the Carnegie Hall performance. Nice to see "Junier Mintz Boogie" getting an official digital release.

Louis Bova, vivalapsych, SirQ and 4 others like this.
  7. Need that all important Amazon preorder link, please, after the debacle with 200 motels and missing/duplicate discs, want to be able to exchange quickly without hassle. That said, I am ALL in!

8. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Another take my money affair.

dlokazip likes this.
  9. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not seeing any of the releases on Amazon yet. I always prefer Amazon due to the ease of return if needed.

rod and vivalapsych like this.
  10. craymcla

craymcla Forum Resident

Wow! This is a dream come true. 1970-1971 are among my favorite Zappa periods. This set, after The Mothers 1970, and 200 Motels, really wraps up that era with a bow. :D

11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The Lennon and Zappa releases both abbreviated "Well" which fell apart in the last few minutes. Zappa's release included his second guitar solo which was missing from the Lennon album.

Controversially, Lennon's release had the "King Kong" theme (miscredited to Lennon and Ono) while Zappa's did not.

There is a video (shot by Lennon's employee as I recall) that has nearly the whole set although I think it ends a bit early.

12. craymcla

craymcla Forum Resident

One thing I particularly liked about those 1970 shows was a heavier reliance on early Mothers material. Hearing Flow and Eddie sing those old songs was a real treat.

13. Zappateer

Zappateer Forum Resident

One day this summer I will take a day and listen to all the officially renditions of Billy the Mountain back to back.

14. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

When is Johnny Depp gonna attach himself to a feature about Zappa?. He'd be a natural and he plays guitar. Who owns all this music material? Zappa estate? Warner Music Group?

trumpet sounds likes this.
  15. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

16. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

That is a great one for sure, and it would be fantastic to receive that.

17. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

Wow, it's almost like the Zappa folks are releasing too much material! Not a complaint, it is just difficult to keep up with it!

rockin_since_58 likes this.
  18. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Has it been discussed whether or not the encore of the Rainbow show will be included?
    It was "I Want To Hold Your Hand", and it was seconds after performing the song that Frank was pushed into the Rainbow theater pit.
    I think I recall reading it was not recorded.

19. TwentySmallCigars

Anthrax likes this.
  20. TwentySmallCigars

This thread is only three pages long and the tracklist is at the top of page 2.

MungoMusic and O Don Piano like this.
  21. O Don Piano

Not sure what this has to do with the topic. But that doesn't surprise me.

TwentySmallCigars likes this.
  22. O Don Piano

Oh jeez! I scrolled over that apparently. Thanks! Usually I get all huffy when a member hasn't actually looked over the thread carefully!

All these years I thought itwasn't recorded. That's pretty amazing in Zappa history!

Auntie Pho and Philip Gruber like this.
  23. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I didn't see the release date on the announcement, but the Zappa Store has it has March 18.

I'm sure they will be releasing teaser tracks in the interim.

24. craymcla

craymcla Forum Resident

Depp's a little (who am I kidding; a lot) self-important these days for my taste. The again, so was Zappa. ;)

25. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

not too sure about this. will have to listen to it first to see i guess.
    also that price seems a bit high when compared to similar cd sets with just a couple discs less.
    it's almost double the price that it should be. amazon will be cheaper of course though i'm sure

Howard Bleach and Doggiedogma like this.