Zappa 71 Complete Fillmore Shows Coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockin_since_58, Jan 13, 2022.

1. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

From the Zappa Patio:

First, the Beat the Boots version of "My Guitar" ends abruptly with the sound of a needle being scraped off the vinyl at 06:46. The Evil CD has the complete version and clocks in at 9:15. The Beat the Boots version has been run through some kind of noise reduction system, while the Evil CD has not. The 56-second intro to "Big Leg Emma" is missing from the Evil CD, and there are a couple of other edited intros as well. Total disc time is 50:15 (Evil) compared to 51:52 (Beat the Boots).

2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I remember hearing that this happened with Unmitigated Audacity. I don't know if it was Frank or Gail who stopped him. I believe he also said he wanted to use a different selection of boots, including Läther.

3. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

So utterly trivial - but I'm just curious, because it's jumped out at me twice now - is there an edit of some kind happening on this track, right around 1:48? Forgive if asked before. Seems like FZ interrupts the tune to adjust some monitor levels, but the way the band kicks back in seems abrupt, even considering FZ's well-known control/training of his bands. There doesn't even seem to be a fleeting moment in there for him to raise a conducting hand before that downbeat.

4. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Roxy/Helsinki will always be my favorite Frank material, but Flo and Eddie have moved up in my estimation, definitely at a level with the early 80’s stuff, possibly even above.

pulpo, SRC and edenofflowers like this.
  5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

It sounds to me like he had time to cue the band there. There is an audience tape of the London show around if you want to be sure (it is missing some parts of the show including the incident at the end, but I think it has that song).

shadowcurtain likes this.
  6. SRC

These related releases have definitely changed my estimation also. Ironically, the show that has relatively sealed the deal on that front is the otherwise disastrous Rainbow show. Maybe I've grown tired of the groupie routine, and the front half of Billy the Mountain is still a bit of a slog for me. So, with the Rainbow concert devoid of all that, it's given me a fresh look at that version of the band.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  7. SRC

Ah, I found an audience tape on YouTube, there does appear to be a brief bit missing on this official release. Not complaining. Thought it just a bit jarring when I heard it, now at least I know it's not just me. The comparison point is at about 18:30 in below.

Edit: There's a few more seconds of level checking, then a drum roll into another pass at "Practicing, practice, practicing!" before they hit the big downbeat we hear on the official release.

Last edited: May 6, 2022
    shadowcurtain likes this.
  8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

You're right. Maybe Kramer wanted to avoid the feedback squeal near that edit point.

shadowcurtain and Zappateer like this.
  9. MrBitey

MrBitey Forum Resident

Really enjoying this. It's a shame they didn't include Zappas mixes on the CD set as well. I would like to get my hands on the Billy with overdubs and the King Kong Solos. I could buy the vinyl I guess although I really dont need another set of the John/Yoko stuff.

vince and folkfreak like this.
  10. Frank Discussion

Frank Discussion Forum Resident

Just wondering...............
    Has Zappa ever talked about the song Tears Began To Fall? I remember it was released as a single. Was it his attempt to write a hit pop song along the lines of a Turtles hit song? Seeing that three of the Turtles are on the song. Maybe a tribute of sorts to The Turtles?

Zappateer likes this.
  11. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I haven’t dug through the thread but has anyone outlined the cases of two-track tapes being used in this box?

12. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Uncle_Meat and bmoregnr like this.
  13. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

The booklet lists them. Also the pdf file from the download.

bmoregnr likes this.
  14. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Ah duh. Thanks everyone.

15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Basically the beginnings of the two early shows, I think. Another post mentioned that it is peculiar that "Shove It Right In" from June 6 early is from a two-track here while it is on YCDTOSA 6 apparently from multitrack.

bmoregnr likes this.
  16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Not that I know of. A nice catchy song in a style he didn't usually allow himself to do.

17. Zappateer

Zappateer Forum Resident

As for Tears, FZ is known to write tunes that highlight the bands strengths, Tears is perfect for Flo and Eddie.

18. Frank Discussion

Frank Discussion Forum Resident

Thanks! I agree. The song certainly would have been perfect for a Flo and Eddie album.

folkfreak likes this.
  19. MrBitey

MrBitey Forum Resident

Just listening to the vinyl version of BTM (someone has needledropped it and put it on YouTube). Interesting. I am enjoying FZ's mix and the overdubs too!
    Who's got the 50th anniverary vinyl here? What's "King Kong - Solos" like? What length is it?

20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The time listed is 18:49. Basically it starts a few seconds after "Lonesome Electric Turkey" ends and has the rest of the version from the June 5 second show.

MrBitey likes this.
  21. MrBitey

MrBitey Forum Resident

Ah thanks! I was wondering if it might be a bit more of a FZ collage of solos from different show. Not essential by the sound of it then!

22. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

It's a different mix, so if you're a hardcore fan it's absolutely essential.

23. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I like Jim Pons’ vocals actually. He wasn't the best player or singer for Franks bands but he just fit.

Zappateer and mcchocchoc like this.
  24. pulpo

pulpo Forum Resident

This is such a wonderful set, I already loved Fillmore East 1971 and this just strengthened my love for this lineup.

Has anyone else tried to do seamless transitions between discs after ripping them? I reorganized the files so each individual show is considered as a single disc in my music library. For instance for June 5, Show 2, I set Willie the Pimp to end at 3:34.500, while Do You Like My New Car? starts at 0:00.120. I've been trying to do the same for the other shows but it's trickier with tracks that have fade-outs and fade-ins, and I'd rather not have to use editing software.

Flaming Torch and Zappateer like this.
  25. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I use CDWav for that. It is too bad they didn't do a separate mastering of the streaming/download version for seamless playback. They did for some of the earlier concert releases (the Roxy, for one).

Flaming Torch and folkfreak like this.