Zappa reissues coming on vinyl.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chumlie, May 7, 2013.

1. puelche

puelche Forum Resident

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Are they calling the original version the truncated one that Warner Brothers released with songs missing which resulted in side one of the double album running only 11 minutes long with side two being only 16 min. long.

I think that they are. My opinion is that when Zappa.com refer to an "original running" order of this album, it should be FZ's original side running choices, which includes " Punky's Whips" and whatever else is missing and made the dang thing do short originally.

This is so when they spread this out onto newly reissued discs - they don't pad out the material so bad like they did 40 years ago.

3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Thankfully there is the new Mono "Money" which has much potential- even if it is a picture disc.

4. danner

danner Forum Resident

Agreed. Keeping "Punky's Whips" out of the album's running order seems like a missed opportunity to me. It would be cool to finally have vinyl copy with the original uncensored album Frank intended.

OldMusicOnVinyl1 likes this.
  5. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

I'm curious to know if Zappa fans prefer to hear this live material in the context of Läther or In New York (i.e. just as a live album). I'm on the fence about this release. If I take the plunge, it'll be for the vinyl option.

Norco74 likes this.
  6. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Läther without any hesitation. All on vinyl. Thank you ZFT.

Alien Reg likes this.
  7. Zappa in New York was a fine live album but it was nowhere near Roxy or even Tinseltown Rebellion. I'll pass.... My vinyl copy is sufficient for me.

8. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

That's the same source as Lumpy Money, I would assume.

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Mine would be Fillmore June, 71 - which is like a companion to JABFLA.

hundolots and puelche like this.
  10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yeah and not really that new is it.

11. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

If Läther got a vinyl release (even with the money shot cover), I'd gladly buy it.

Alien Reg likes this.
  12. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Money shot?

13. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I think New York has a lot of fans who got into Zappa because a certain song was played to death on the Dr Demento show back in the '80s. Overall it's not even close to the top tier of Zappa live albums.

14. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

The whipped cream cover.

mBen989 likes this.
  15. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Oh. I'd prefer the cow or even just a blank white sleeve like the test cuts must have been.

16. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I would too, a reissue of this one.

17. danner

danner Forum Resident

Funny. I actually kind of prefer the whipped cream cover. I liked the cow cover when it came out, but it looks like a cheap photoshop job to me now.

hundolots likes this.
  18. danner

danner Forum Resident

The ZINY tracks were my favorites on Läther when I was 14. Nowadays, they’re the ones I’m most likely to skip.

Ben Adams likes this.
  19. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Just saw the tracklisting for the 3LP NY set and I am 100% on board.

20. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Isn't that the original cover as intended?

21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I thought the cover of Joe's Garage Act I was the original Läther cover, but it's been a while since I checked on it.

22. danner

danner Forum Resident

That’s what I’ve always heard. It looks like they’re all from the same session though.

marblesmike likes this.
  23. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

The main reason I am avoiding it is not that I already have Lumpy Money, but that they pressed it on an overpriced picture disc.
    Kill ugly radio!

24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I don't mind picture discs when they work out ok, as an example "Baby Snakes" plays quite perfectly as a pd.

The reason I am avoiding it for the time being is I want to choose the artwork I get and not get a wrong themed picture. I want the yellow background shot.

And another thing, I really think that Frank was doing some mind blowing things with the stereo mixing on the Money album. It's a headphone delight 100%. Why would anyone want to give that up for mono? I simply don't agree it's better Fidelity in the mono mix. And stereo as I said is a total aural freak out with tons of panning and spacial separation specially intended.

aoxomoxoa likes this.