Zappa reissues coming on vinyl.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chumlie, May 7, 2013.

1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Mono isn't always better. I prefer the stereo too

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Btw, to drive off topic:

That Dead cover used as avatar is one stunner! I bought a copy of it to keep still sealed when it was a $4.49 mid-line item around 1988 or 89. Because they were still using the original struck film elements for the jacket slicks at that time. And I knew it would look slightly worse when it wentdan OOP and returned reissued.

Yes, current reissues lost some sharpness that even the 80s copies had. I love my sealed beauty. Perhaps the best San Fran / Fillmore art ever done.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I have a 70's copy that is unsealed but it does look stunning.

4. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

While your first statement may be true, I must strongly disagree with your overall assessment. "Honey, Don't You Want A Man Like Me" may not be one of his better compositions and I can do without "Big Leg Emma", but the rest of the album is some of the best music he's ever done, lyrics be damned. "The Black Page" and "The Purple Lagoon" alone make the album worthy

O Don Piano and eyeCalypso like this.
  5. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

It’s patchy. There are several stronger Zappa live albums.

6. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

At its time of release, it was quite something and I never felt it needed to be extended. The Purple Lagoon is already filling up a whole side of the double lp. Was there a lack of good material preventing FZ to include it as side 4?

I never liked the extended cd release (Ryko) and found the new program material not up to par with the original program hence why I am waiting reviews before ordering this boxset.

Live Zappa releases are quite unique and it would be hard to rank them properly. What is top tier for one is low tier for others. I always had trouble with Fillmore (not connecting) and Bongo Fury (too short). I however highly consider his 3 live output from 1988.

7. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

Apologies if you already read this, but over on this thread they mention a connection between the hype sticker on the mono Money and the picture disc within, so you can cherry pick the one you want from sealed copies.

Frank Zappa "We're Only In It For The Money" Black Friday 2018

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Then the new expanded is definitely not going to be for you.

9. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

First, let’s see how it was remastered/remixed/reworked. :)

10. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Correction--this is what I heard too.

11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

IMO "Cruising For Burgers" in particular is great and should have been on the double album. FZ mixed it in 1977 so it came close.

ODShowtime, marblesmike and danner like this.
  12. Innerloop

Innerloop Active Member

Hi, Sorry if I missed this in the discussion, but does anyone think they will do new pressings of Waka/Jawaka or The Grand Wazoo? I've really been enjoying the 3LP pressing of Zappa in New York . They did a good job with that pressing imo. I would love to have new pressings of Waka/Jawaka and The Grand Wazoo.

John Bliss likes this.
  13. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I sure hope so - I need Waka/Jawaka badly. Also Fillmore East.

I think all that's left unannounced of the '70s vinyl reissues are 200 Motels, Waka/Jawaka, Grand Wazoo, Fillmore East, JABFLA, Bongo Fury, Sleep Dirt, and Studio Tan. That's only eight more titles, and most of them are single LPs. On the other hand, I can also picture them doing expanded versions of JABFLA and Fillmore East, just like they've recently done with Zappa In New York and Orchestral Favorites.

14. Innerloop

Innerloop Active Member

I'm really psyched about these re-issues after digging in on this Zappa in New York release. I'm gonna have to pick up all of these. Just pre-ordered the Orchestral Favorites and went ahead and picked up Over-nite Sensation too as a start. It's hard to pick a favorite Zappa record, as I love them all. But Waka/Jawaka and The Grand Wazoo are definitely up there in the very top.

15. The Grand Wazoo is terrific.

16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It’s grown on me a lot in 40 years. I used to not rate it so high.

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Reissues 3 Old Masters Box Sets?

18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Love the designs and albums included. But mastering was a mix of digital restoration/ remasters that don’t hold up today.

But with the new masters in the Old Masters box sets would be cool. Maybe as mini LP box sets with SACDs inside or something special.

eyeCalypso and alexpop like this.
  19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Be sweet. Shame the Zappa family titles are tawdry bad aesthetic jobs. I would love a MOFi one step of Over Nite Sensation.

20. danner

danner Forum Resident

I'm holding out hope that they do a proper vinyl release for Läther rather than bothering with Studio Tan and Sleep Dirt.

21. The Grand Wazoo and Bongo Fury are the reissues I'm looking forward to the most.

Spadeygrove, vinylvin and eyeCalypso like this.
  22. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Lather would be great but I do like Sleep Dirt as a stand alone album.

23. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Me too, and I have nice original copies of both.

24. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

[​IMG]

eyeCalypso likes this.
  25. danner

danner Forum Resident

Oh, I wouldn’t be opposed to both, but I’d put more of a priority on Läther before I would reissues of two albums that aren’t exactly hard to find in good shape.