Zappa reissues coming on vinyl.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chumlie, May 7, 2013.

1. hulloder72

hulloder72 Forum Resident

Inside the album it is written that the third disc of "Zappa in New York" has analogue tape source except Blak Page 2017.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  2. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

That's the original recording sources.
    They were all transferred to a digital master.

Only the original album (sides 1-4) were cut from analog tape.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    hulloder72 likes this.
  3. hulloder72

hulloder72 Forum Resident

4. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Bought the pink translucent vinyl Hot Rats LP (my favorite FZ album) from Amazon and got a FREE Autorip mp3 copy of The Hot Rats Sessions!

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yp8u got the big box download for buying a single LP? Cool!

This is not the same as the limited splatter-colored vinyl from Newbury right?

Jason Pumphrey likes this.
  6. Jason Pumphrey

Sure did!, didn't even expect an Autorip copy at at all!
    But what a nice surprise!:goodie:
    Here is the link of the "hot pink" Hot Rats vinyl (price is $21.99) that gave me the deluxe Hot Rats Sessions Autorip.
    PS, it has to be sold by Amazon (not a 3rd party seller) to get the big bonus "absolutely free", lol!:D
    https://www.amazon.com/Rats-50th-Anniversary-Translucent-Pink/dp/B07YTDXVZY/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1AC4PVGISTJ4H&dchild=1&keywords=frank+zappa+vinyl&qid=1615513902&sprefix=frank+zappa,aps,180&sr=8-1
    Cool trivia, the bass player on Peaches is this guy, I prefer his original to the Brothers Johnson remake.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  7. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Excellent! Enjoy the bonus! :D

8. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I had to return my pink vinyl for non-fill. Pretty cool they offer that bonus. I don't really mess with downloads though. I mainly just stream whatever free download file is available on my streaming service. This is unique though.

9. WillieDaPimp

WillieDaPimp Good bad, not evil

Shuggie’s albums are great.

10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Does the pink Hot Rats have BG in the deadwax?

11. Jason Pumphrey

I will let you know tomorrow, it's not being delivered until then.:)

12. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

Yes, as does the Newbury Comics splatter version as well.

John Bliss likes this.
  13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes, I bought two splatter pressings, one for play and another to sell and break even on an album bought several times over the years. All the Newbury stuff fetches double the original price the day it goes oop. A year to 18 months and the asking prices are $100 a platter, especially the splatter platters. :winkgrin:

14. Which one did you return? There are 2 different pink pressings. Both have the same BG stampers. My understanding is the inferior/noisy/non-fill pressing is the Newbury splatter pink pressed at GZ, not the translucent pink pressed at Pallas.

15. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Just the regular pink, I likely just got a bad pressing.

16. Jason Pumphrey

Just arrived, yes BG on the hot pink deadwax.
    A nice gatefold.
    Back cover Remastered by Bernie Grundman 2008
    Source: original 1969 Analog Master.
    Has two hype stickers
    1) Pallas Audiophile Quality 180g Vinyl.
    Pressed in Germany
    2) 50th Anniversary Translucent Hot Pink 180g Pressing
    Limited Edition celebrating FZ's legendary 1969 solo outing.
    Pressed in Pallas.

Hope this helps.:)

Now I need to get a working turntable again (I am mostly a cd guy).
    I was thinking on an Audio Technica.

17. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

[QUOTE="Jason Pumphrey, post: 26371708, member: 47881”]
    Now I need to get a working turntable again (I am mostly a cd guy).
    I was thinking on an Audio Technica.[/QUOTE]

Depending on uour actual kit, budget and sonic preference, you may want to consider other options as well...

18. Jason Pumphrey

Depending on uour actual kit, budget and sonic preference, you may want to consider other options as well...[/QUOTE]
    Or I could get a quality audio repair shop to tune up my vintage Technics and get it purring again.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    John Bliss, ubiknik and Norco74 like this.
  19. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

If it's a 1200 direct drive from bygone days, it could really pay off to get it serviced.
    I found an old D-2 (late seventies I think) Technics a couple of years ago that had just been sitting for ages, it had an ossified platter mat was the only real issue, otherwise it worked great with no service required.
    Getting a 1200 that has the ability to set VTA would be ideal as it makes setting up whatever cartridge much easier.
    Right now I'm listening to a modern 1200GR with an Audio Technica VM95ML and it sounds fantastic, the 95ML has a new price of 169$ (until the new price increases go into effect anyway)!
    The pairing of a simple DD like the Technics and that 95ML cart really can't be beat for the money, there is a thread on the VM95ML called 'praise for the AT95ML' or some such if you want to read about it.

20. Jason Pumphrey

Looks like the purchase of Hot Rats pink vinyl on Amazon is no longer giving the Autorip of H.R. Sessions, just the reguar album mp3 now.

21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I hate to do this, especially when someone likes what they have. But yes, and if you can get the other table going as well. Or if you can reach a little higher in cost, the AT VM540ML is fricking outstanding and goes an extra few miles higher in quality.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Techni...s=Audio+Technica+VM95ML&qid=1615681643&sr=8-6

Unless you simply do not play vinyl that much, I think this is worth it.

22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The quality could be better on the Pallas pressing over the GZ I'd believe, but my Newbury splatter copies do not have a non-fill issue. I've been picking up lots of colored vinyl exclusives over the last few years, usually one for the collection and one to flip when they run out and go OOP. I did the same thing with the Audio Fidelity quadraphonic SACD issues.

I've not sold any yet, still watching them skyrocket in value, but I will in another year or so. These kinds of delectables are very collectible and are desirable discs long term. And they are all very low pressing runs. I remember when 35,000 to 50,000 was a rather low run. Now we are seeing 300 to 500 from Newbury, and 2,000 to 3,000 tops from other runs like MFSL. It is cool in a way, and sad in other ways. Oh well.

23. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

ill 2nd this suggestion

quicksrt likes this.
  24. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

What's this about price increases?

25. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

There was some chatter about AT raising prices this Feb. but so far it hasn't been happening.
    One person said in that thread about the VM95ML that they noticed Ebay prices for AT product straight from Japan have gone up some and they speculated that that is a sign that the increases are coming.