Zappa reissues coming on vinyl.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chumlie, May 7, 2013.

1. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

Did a "I'm The Slime" comparison from the original Discreet vinyl press and the newly remastered CD. The clicking sound during Frank's solo (sounds like a bad drum sound??) is present on both, but is emphasized +100% on the remastered CD. The difference is crazy. You barely notice it on vinyl unless you're listening for it, but on the CD it's in your face. :cry:

2. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I always thought it was some sort of effect on his guitar.

3. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

...and on an even happier note "Concorde Music" in Perth had a replacement "Overnite Sensation" in stock and is now on the LP12 . Yippy-Ty-O-Ty-Ay!

eyeCalypso likes this.
  4. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

My copy of the new OVERNITE SENSATION vinyl record is dead flat and completely quiet. A+.

letorro and eyeCalypso like this.
  5. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident Thread Starter

Uncle Meat and Roxy & Elsewhere coming in December.

6. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

This is exciting news if they use the original mix of UM.

If comes out as a 3LP set with the film dialogue extracts and 'Tengo Na Minchia Tanta' on sides four and five, not so much.

7. Uncle_Meat

Uncle_Meat Forum Resident

Close. Zappa was in the habit of using a close mic on his guitar so you could hear the picking. I really like that sound.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  8. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Source?!? Seems a strange time to reissue "Roxy & Elsewhere" considering the release of "Roxy by Proxy" is imminent.

9. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Why strange? It makes perfect sense to me, what with the marketing and synergy and whatnot. The Roxy movie and Proxy CD will make the Roxy vinyl appealing and the Uncle Meat Project./Object box can only help shine the spotlight on the LP.

10. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident Thread Starter

E-mail add from music direct.

11. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Selling/emphasizing two different releases that essentially feature the same live performance?

I hope I'm not coming off as a dissentious; "Roxy & Elsewhere" is my favorite FZ LP, definitely my favorite version of the Mothers, and I am really excited for "Roxy by Proxy".

12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

ZFT, feast or famine.

13. I've just received my copy of "Freak Out", the first Zappa LP that has arrived to accompany my not-so-small Zappa CD collection. Overall I can say that I really like how it sounds, but I feel that guitars and vocals are fighting for supremacy most of the time. Am I alone?

EDIT: My only reference point is the Ryko CD. I've never heard other releases before.

14. cricchio

cricchio Well-Known Member

I'm sorry I didn't notice that chumlie wrote about "Uncle Meat and Roxy & Elsewhere coming in December" and monday I started this discussion: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...uncle-meat-scheduled-on-10th-dec-2013.335554/

I found some other interesting details on this other thread: http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=287487&sid=0a37f19c1c568abd90785a715ae3d8cd that look promising:

http://www.elusivedisc.com/FRANK-ZAPPA-UNCLE-MEAT-180g-2LP/productinfo/UNILP23839/
    Quote:
    Features:
    • 180g Vinyl
    • Double LP
    • Cut By Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering (2013)
    • Original 1969 mix restored by the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen
    • Pressed at Pallas
    • Booklet included

http://www.elusivedisc.com/FRANK-ZAPPA-ZAPPA_MOTHERS-ROXY-ELSEWHERE-180g-2LP/productinfo/UNILP23852/
    Quote:
    Features:
    • 180g Vinyl
    • Double LP
    • Cut directly from the 1/4" stereo master analog tapes
    • Cut by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering in 2013
    • Contains all original mixes first issued in 1974

15. danner

danner Forum Resident

I already have two copies of Uncle Meat on vinyl, but neither one has a booklet. Might have to get this one after all.

16. asodoma

asodoma Senior Member

The old Uncle Meat with the bookelet had a 3x5 inch sticker on the cover, top left, that said "The Mothers Of Invention" and "Two LPs and a Nifty 12-page book".

The new booklet is almost exactly like the old one. The new one is missing a drawing of something with "BIZARRE" written below it, on page 2 above "Fast & Bulbous Jelly..."; and on page 10 it's missing an address: United Mutations Box 2315 , Hollywood, California 90028, next to the 'film strip'.

The new one adds the "Grand Rights Project Object" thing in the bottom corner of page 11 and page 12 (the back) had "Printed in U.S.A" in the bottom left corner and nothing in the bottom right.

Also, the pages in the new booklet are shiny and slick compared to the old version...

danner likes this.
  17. asodoma

asodoma Senior Member

I just played both of these reissues. Freakin' great pressings, for sure. Not a snap, crackle or pop on all 8 sides! Maybe I'll do a shootout with the originals later, but these sound great, too. Especially the Roxy set. You surely can't go wrong getting these, compared to finding a NM copy of the originals.

ParloFax likes this.
  18. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Would love a proper MOUM cd to come out, with a DVD of the movie. I can understand how annoying the dialogue excerpt from the movie can be to listen to, but once you've seen the actual movie. it makes sense. I used to own a vhs version, and would love to see it again.

19. I've just received my copy of the "Over-Nite Sensation" reissue, and I must say it's one of the most in-your-face mixes I've ever heard. Vocals sound so powerful without overshadowing the band. An awesome-sounding release without a doubt.

20. E()

E() Cat Herder

Got Uncle Meat and the Roxy yesterday. Only listened to UM so far.

Pressing is flat and quiet. Jacket is sturdy and the poster looks pretty good.

I like the sound. I only have the Ryko cd version-- hoping for a MoFo/Lumpy Money treatment-- but I like the vinyl version better. It reminded me how much I like this album and without having to skip over the "bonus" material.

Looks like a digital transfer from the original tapes based on the liner notes. Still, a nice sounding version.

Roxy up next.

21. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I'd say the same thing and it's hard to imagine the original being better.

22. That's the bit I don't understand. The 2012 CD is from the same - as I have been told - master as the old CD one, drenched in reverb, and this new vinyl is a new digital master... but dry sounding? Why isn't the 2012 CD dry too? (as the 2012 "Hot Rats" CD, done from the Bernie Grundman cut)

23. danner

danner Forum Resident

They're apparently saving the proper remastered version for a pricier MOFO-type release with bonus material. They similarly kept the old digital versions of Freak Out and Ruben for the 2012 CDs to keep the deluxe versions from becoming obsolete. It makes sense from a business perspective, but I still think it would have been nice to finally have a definitive run of FZ remasters all in one place. Oh well.

24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Perhaps also for legal reasons. Two companies (ZFT and Universal) can't both own the same master.

ParloFax likes this.