ZEN phono - impressive specs but I wonder how it sounds

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by drandall, Sep 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Right, they had to account for any cart under the sun being used in terms of output, so it made sense to keep the gain at a conservative level. Biggest reason I don't like most of those old built-in phono sections though is high input capacitance. Many of them don't have the most accurate RIAA EQ either.

2. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Yeah a lot of them do RIAA in the feedback, so they accentuate surface noise, too. I recently plugged my vintage Realistic 42-2109 in to see how I'd like it, after having used the Mofi StudioPhono for some months now.

In a way I'm glad I started with that thing, because it made learning to get records clean pretty critically important. But while the Realistic designs are known to be quiet (hum/hiss), the Mofi is substantially quieter (really saying something). And that Mofi doesn't accentuate any surface noise at all.

3. DJSpinner

DJSpinner Forum Resident

So in my case, the ifi Zen XLR output to my Freya+ perhaps allows for the higher gain level, which the SE connection from the same box might not?

Not an actual DJ in my case. So just using the 5mV Nagaoka.

So the ONLY difference in the settings of between MM and MC (hi) is the db bump? The spec sheet says the input impedance for both settings is 47K Ohms.

The only recommended db level I could find for the Nagaoka MP110 was from Schiit Mani users who set the gain to 42db...about halfway between the two options on the Zen. Again, I found the 32db setting too flat and the 48db more pleasing and not at all distorting. So as long as it sounds good, I'm doing nothing wrong correct?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    johnny q likes this.
  4. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Absolutely correct.

johnny q likes this.
  5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

MOFI is a passive/active hybrid design IIRC. It was quite low on surface noise when I had it. The all-active G.S. I have now is still lower in surface noise. The worst I had with accentuating surface noise was a Schiit Mani, which is all passive RIAA. Even the $30 no-name Chinese preamp I had was better than that with surface noise, but I doubt the RIAA was that accurate (no published specs).

So I in general I think the implementation of the design matters more than the topology (active vs. passive vs. hybrid), at least based on my experience with what I've owned and other stuff I've heard. Many designs on the market work just fine, though there are a few wacky outliers out there that I wouldn't touch.

I'm gonna guess the Zen is fine.

6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Check the Zen manual. I see a single balanced connector but it doesn't look like standard XLR. XLR by industry standard is always supposed to have higher output, but not all products follow that. Manual should have info, if not ask Ifi customer service.

Understood.

Yes - more gain, nothing else.

The Mani has MM gain settings of 30dB and 42dB. 30 is probably on the low side, so 42 is what most people would use for an average MM cart on that unit. 30dB was meant for Decca carts specifically IIRC.

KAB preamp gain calculator says 36dB for that cart. It usually gives a conservative number. Anything between 36-40dB or so is probably fine for that cart, then use the volume control to set your listening volume.

If you like the 48dB setting, there's probably no harm here at all. Just get back to us after a few months and see if you still like that or if it is fatiguing.

When I had a switchable gain phono pre, I experimented with higher settings like 46dB and it became tiring after a month or so, but then again I have a lot of hotly cut records here. If I was only playing tame records I might not have cared as much.

7. DJSpinner

DJSpinner Forum Resident

iFi specs list Output Impedance as Balanced: 200 Ohm resistive / SE: 100 Ohm resistive.

I used this https://www.amazon.com/4-4mm-Balanced-Headphone-Adapter-Silver/dp/B07WSRRN1X/ to get the XLR connection. Did a quick listen btw the 4.4 mm out and their SE RCAs and didn't notice too much difference, but will check again on the higher gain.

8. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

Well, I've pulled the trigger as a Xmas present to myself lol.

I'm using a Art DJPre into a Onkyo A 9110 at the moment, and I've just had my arm on my original Goldring GR1 rewired, its sounds pretty good at the moment so hopefully the Zen will be an improvement.

any comments about using a ATVM95ML with the Zen?

9. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Not on the at95 as such but I'm using the Zen on my Thorens 160 now with a Grado Black and it sounds great. Hope you enjoy.

Rob6899 likes this.
  10. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

Looking forward to a new toy.

Technocentral likes this.
  11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I'd set it to 36dB and 47K with that preamp and cart.

jupiterboy and Rob6899 like this.
  12. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

Thank you.

patient_ot likes this.
  13. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

14. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

It's the microprocessor controller for all the functions. Some of the better audio devices shut it down between operations to remove the clock noise. Impressive how much they were able to build in this unit for the price.

RPM and patient_ot like this.
  15. DJSpinner

DJSpinner Forum Resident

patient_ot likes this.
  16. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

Pretty, pretty good (paraphrasing Larry David).

I'm by no means an "audiophile" or expert, but its a massive improvement already. Listened to Steely Dan - Aja and now onto Queens Of The Stone Age - Villains .

Its made me pause in my listening at times, if you know what I mean? I know people will say its bound to be an improvement compared to my ARTDJ.

One thing, I got an interesting hum when it was stacked on my ZEN DAC, so don't do that. No hum at all now its separate.

17. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Now published - 110pF.

Rob6899 likes this.
  18. Technocentral

I'm waiting for delivery of a at vm95ml this weekend will let you know how it sounds, I got the at95e cart last week as a temporary replacement for the Grado Black that came with my Thorens, (I damaged the stylus on the Grado but planned to replace it soon anyway ) with a mind to getting an upgrade at some stage.

Rob6899 likes this.
  19. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

I'm pretty impressed with it so far.

But I have cloth ears and by no means an "expert".

20. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

Just a thought. The ML picks up lot (helluve lot)more crap than my last stylus (ATN95EX).
    I invested in a cheap 30x currency checker of the Bay of Evil and use a magic eraser every time I see some threads etc on there.

I found that my naked eye would see a clean stylus but it really wasn't.

This phono is sounding better and better the more time I put in, got Dylan Desire on and it sounds superb.

21. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

What is a 30x currency checker?

22. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

23. Technocentral

Good tip, I'll get one of those.

Rob6899 likes this.
  24. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Yeah thanks, just bought one for $5 and change.

Technocentral and Rob6899 like this.
  25. td320_vinylist

td320_vinylist Forum Resident

I've got the Zen Phono for my study system. Rega P3 with AT33 PTG/II, Sony TA-FA70ES amp, Dali Oberon 1 bookshelf speakers. I'm impressed at the sound quality, especially for the price. Clear improvement over the built in phono stage. I tested the output of the supplied wall wart and another one from Goobay I had lying around (13 euro) with my scope. The supplied one had 10mV (p-p) of ripple, the Goobay showed no ripple. So I'm using that one. I'll build a linear PSU for it later. Don't know if that will improve the sound as the Zen regenerates the power, but I just like building stuff ;-) I'm using the MC-low setting. Very quiet. IMO the load resistance (1.4k) is high for the cartridges you'd normally use with this gain setting (most would be loaded between 100 and 470 Ohms, maybe 1k). On the other hand the value is cleverly chosen, because you can now use loading plugs to get the desired values. I soldered 150 Ohm resistors in the RCA connectors to get a 135 Ohm combined load. I like the sound this way. Dynamic, more forward than laid back. It's also connected to my pc for making needledrops.

Rob6899 and patient_ot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.