Zenyatta Mondatta best pressings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antnee, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Sam

Sam Senior Member

It is. Similar, if not same vinyl as original mobile fidelity used.

c-eling likes this.
  2. 1@aTime

1@aTime Forum Resident

I just checked and it is translucent. Cool. It does sound good. I kept my Pitman pressing because it has the insert with the pictures and info. The Audiophile one doesn’t have anything.

3. clickspin

clickspin Active Member

I've noted crazy variations among the 9 pressings of Zenyatta here so far. The best and absolute worst pressings are both Canadian, the US 4831 versions (punchy, strident) and the 3720 pressings (wider mix, better bass, less focused) are quite different. The Electrosound translucent 3720 copies are extremely nice.

4. clickspin

clickspin Active Member

(1st) Tbe "Strawberry" first UK pressing tops my list - Zenyatta Mondatta
    (2nd) Any of the ElectroSound 3720 pressings- translucent being slightly quieter vinyl - Zenyatta Mondatta
    (3rd) The Europe pressing, made in Haarlem by CBS - Zenyatta Mondatta
    any of these top 3 are excellent-

c-eling likes this.
  5. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

So the 4831’s are bad in your opinion?

I don’t recall original year of release albums having two different catalog numbers like this. Any idea why this was?

clickspin likes this.
  6. clickspin

clickspin Active Member

(rabbit hole warning) Someone else may know all the details, though the "4831" number looks to have its genesis in the UK release number AMLH 64831. I just love the music, so I won't say the US 4831 pressings are bad, but they do lack the bass response of the first UK pressings and most of the 3720 releases. Some have their L-R reversed. 3720 releases vary as well, with the ElectroSound pressings most favoring the original UK release.

captouch likes this.
  7. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

I have two copies, a Terre Haute 4831
    The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta

and a copy from Holland, which may be the same as yours?
    The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta

I haven’t compared them carefully, but based on your findings, the Holland one may be better?

clickspin likes this.
  8. clickspin

clickspin Active Member

My Holland pressings are same, yes. Can always vary by individual record, but you'll find that the Terre Haute 4831 pressings likely have L-R reversed on some but not all tracks, enhanced treble, and the Holland pressing will have slightly better bass throughout.

captouch likes this.
  9. clickspin

clickspin Active Member

Preferences are funny things, but after almost 30 copies of this album, my list mentioned earlier is still my favorites order. I've excluded specialty pressings on purpose, wanting the daily record store copies to get the attention they deserve. Unlike the excellent GITM and Synchronicity pressings, the first release ZM varieties are all over the place. Want to cut to the front of the line? Get a UK Strawberry-mastered misprint. Want to save a buck? Get an Electrosound pressing.

hi_watt likes this.
  10. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

Does the Strawberry cut sound discernibly different than the Electrosound? It's hard finding a mint Strawberry misprint.

11. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

MFSL used JVC Japan's formula. They were manufactured in Japan.
    A&M/Electrosound was Quiex or Amex (or both) I'd say about 80% or more of the A&M catalog I have used the stuff.

12. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I have many Quiex, and when I hold them up to the light, you can barely see through them. Also appears to be something else in the vinyl mixture for Quiex. Looks "dirty" compared to the very crystal clear vinyl from Mofi and Canadian audiophile pressing I own of Zenyatta Mondatta. I'd say it's the Amex company then that you speak of. Very similar to mofi.

c-eling likes this.
  13. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Maybe Sam. Warner may have stuck with Quiex, A&M Amex or it could of come down to whatever plants at the time were using/had.
    Synchronicity does have that dirty-ness to it.
    [​IMG]

14. danielkov86

So I got the STRAWBERRY Zenyatta. It does indeed sound blissful. I’m curious, has anyone heard or have an opinion on the STRAWBERRY Regatta?

c-eling and RC1 like this.
  15. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Finally upgraded my U.S. 4831 to a UK Strawberry. Ah.... There's that deep bass.

But of course this UK isn't the cleanest copy (despite being sold as NM). Shame as my U.S. copy was perfect and cost all of $5 (but of course, mastering not ideal). So now the hunt continues for a truly clean UK.... At least they're cheap and plentiful. (But shipping costs means you're really screwed when the seller overgrades.)

I did upgrade my UK Tone of Reggatta to a truly quiet play copy. Giving the other one to my friend so he's very happy now.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  16. clickspin

clickspin Active Member

There are slight differences, but the all Electrosound versions I found were consistently better, fatter and more dynamic than their US counterparts. The Canadian pressings I found were all over the place and not reliable. I ended up with 6 variations of the Strawberry misprints, but A1/B1 is the one. A2/B1 also very very good.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  17. danielkov86

You’re right about that. Mine is A2/B2, sounds fantastic.

Do you have a UK Reggatta? Wonder how that sounds compared to an early US. There is a strawberry cut of that album, but it has been extremely difficult for me to find one on Discogs. Although there is a listing for it, every single seller I have messaged said their copy did not have strawberry in the run out. I swear UK sellers are the worst.

By the way, I tried the Canadian “audiophile” title of Regatta and it sounded like garbage. Go figure.

hi_watt likes this.
  18. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I have UK original Strawberry cuts of Regatta de Blanc and Zenyatta Mondatta (both clear on each album side from the deadwax) and from memory they both sound very good, but I’ve never compared them to any other vinyl pressings/versions. I have to confess though that I’ve not played either for some time (or my originals of Outlandos, Ghost in the Machine or Syncronicity). I like both formats, but I have always found the Police sound better on vinyl than CD.

danielkov86 likes this.
  19. clickspin

clickspin Active Member

I only have one UK Reggatta and it's an A10/B4 so perhaps not representative of an earliest UK variant. It's solid.

danielkov86 likes this.