Zombies Concert Reviews - Plus Photo Link!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chip Stylus, Feb 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chip Stylus

Chip Stylus I buy music! Thread Starter

I saw the Zombies Mk. 2004 in Atlanta on Sunday the 15th.

My wife and I arrived as the first of 2 opening acts hit the stage. I walked straight in and right up to Rod Argent himself!
    Being chatty and for the most part polite (I fail sometimes) I put my hand out and offered that I was a "big fan". He saw the bulging bag I was carrying - he asked "could that be records?" I said indeed that it was, and that i hoped to catch he and the rest of the beand later if they had a minute to sign something and maybe answer a fan question or two! He tells me "Colin's right here, and we have a minute."

So, we looked at the stuff - laughed that his hair on the 'Circus' Argent lp was as long in '76 as my hair is now. I raved and raved about 'Ennismore', and about how "I Don't Believe in Miracles" was burned into my brain in third grade by AM radio in Los Angeles. They signed everything and seemed genuinely pleased to have fans after the 37 year breakup.
    Jim Rodford came out and waved, he reappeared about 45 minutes lkater and offered to scribble on my Kinks lp's. We talked about his son the drummer and about Russ Ballard (ex Argent, of course) and that Russ apparently has a new lp to release this year.

The Flat Duo Jets opened second, they played their usual racous set and then we watched THe Who off a dvd on a projector for another 20 minutes. In the room were Danny Beard (DB Recs), Jeff Calder (Swimming Pool Q's), several record store owners, assorted guitarists from local bands.

THEN the Zombies came out. Rod and Jim told stories. Colin, no longer whispering, announced several songs too. They opened with "Andorra" (from Ennismore) and "This Will Be Our Year".
    Now, they had already played my favorite Zombies and Colin-solo tracks (I kid you not, those were the two). Could it get better? Was it even possible?

"Time Of The Season". "I Don't Believe in Miracles". "God Gave Rock and Roll To You". An indescribably STUNNING retelling of "Tell Her No", far more dramatic/dynamic than the record or the BBC performance. "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted" (a very bizarre arrangement on that one). "She's Not There". "Indication" (with an amazing solo/coda at the end, including a bit of "We Three Kings"). They closed with "Summertime" and Rod told of how it was the first thing they ever recorded, at age 17. These guys are now 58 years each, and at the peak of their powers. Rod pulversised his keyboard troughout the show, Colin hit all the impossible notes - even that hot one in "I Love You"! The new album (scan enclosed) is wonderful, much better than 'Out Of The Shadows' or 'New World' (the 2003 and 1990 reunion albums) . . and it goes on sale in Europe Mar 10. Check these guys out if you have the chance.

I know others on the forum have seen them on this tour - please add your observations - or questions!

2. Chip Stylus

3. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Wow! Such a great show. I truly enjoyed it. Colin's voice is still so clear and smooth. Rod still has chops and his tones were all great. No cheesy synthy sounds.

They did all the expected numbers along with some songs from Colin's solo records. I love those albums. The versions they did were very true to the originals. The biggest responses all night were for Time of the Season, Care of Cell 44 and Rose for Emily.

Did I mention how great the drummer was? In fact the whole band was top notch. Great tones, even better playing. Really a professional show. Not a bad note or bad rendition all night.

The audience was full of studio musicians and music biz people. John Prine, Steve Cropper (who played with the horrible opening act), Jim Lauderdale, Bill Lloyd, Joey Kramer (Aerosmith drummer), the staff of all the local record stores and half the Tower crew and a few others I've forgotten.

I noticed all the gear were rentals. Rod had a case for his tone module and the drummer took his snare drum and the guitar was probably the guitarists but everything else had SIR on it. Interesting.

After the show the stuck around to sign albums and CD's. They both seemed really happy to be there. I think they're still a little shocked at the response they get night after night.

I had them sign my O&O LP and Colin signed my favorite of his solo records. He laughed a little and asked where I got it. That surprised me. I assumed he'd seen endless amounts of these things.

When they signed my SACD Rod said "Great sounding CD but disastrous cover." :laugh:

Here's a picture of Colin Blunstone and me. Kate took a picture while he was signing away but after he was done he grabbed me and said I needed a proper picture so we took another one. My flash is a bit manky so I had to lighten it up a bit.

If you guys get a chance to see them you need to. It's such a nice and enjoyable show. You'll freakin' love it! :D

Attached Files:

4. nowhere-man-in-e

nowhere-man-in-e Senior Member

The Zombies in Nashville

The Zombies in Nashville

Attached Files:

5. Chip Stylus

Rod told me that they had not heard the SACD yet, just 4 days before. I wonder if they picked one up someplace. I raved and raved about the sound on the SACD so he may have commented on the sound based on what I'd said alone. Now I'm really confused!

Jamie, that's funny you being so much taller than Colin, he towered over me as you can see - http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/thom_osburn/

6. Chip Stylus

Man, if I'd been in the same room wtih Steve Cropper, I'd have a heart attack. If his signature was on my stereo vinyl 'Dictionary Of Soul', I'd probably quit autograph collecting. Where do you go from there, really?
    I ran into Billy Bremner in Nashville at a Nick Lowe show 9 years ago. He told me that he lived there and was doing sessions and live gigs. I guess there really are as many guitar cases there as the Lovin' Spoonful claimed! (laughing)
    I used to talk to Bill Lloyd all the time when he was a record store clerk in Rivergate Mall at the Sound Shop. Yikes, that was a long time ago. He had the Beatles' 'File Under' bootleg and I didn't, so I was jealous.

7. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Bill Lloyd's Standing on the Shoulder of Giants album is a Zombie tribute of sorts. You can certainly hear the influence.

8. Chip Stylus

Jamie, did the Zombies tell you what they told me, that there is already a reunion tour audio and video recording in the can?
    We have to wait for the marketing for 'As Far As I Can See . . .' to reach its conclusion before they'll release it.

Did you buy their new album, and if so what did you think of it?

9. NGeorge

NGeorge Forum Resident

WOW! Do I envy you guys!

George

10. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I didn't get the new album. The songs they played from it were really good though. I'm just a little shy because of the questionable re-makes they've done in the past. I bet this new album is great though. I wished I bought it as soon as I got home. :shake:

Which Colin song did they redo on this CD?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.