Zootopia

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DrewHarris, Mar 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrewHarris

DrewHarris Forum Resident Thread Starter

Since the premier of Disney's latest animated film is near, I would like to get a discussion thread going.

2. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

As of tonight Zootopia still maintains 100% positive reviews on RT site (93/93). I not sure if that's setting any record, but it's courting PIXAR's best for critical approval (quite an accomplishment these days). IMO, the best animated films can be enjoyed on two levels, one as pure delight for youngsters of all ages, another with a deeper more inspirational message or subtext that transcends age, catapulting a truly memorable film to more significant status, possibly a genre classic. I don't know if Disney's Zootopia will scale any lofty peeks, but it certainly has all the promise of an enthusiastic climber.

:cheers:
    Cat

3. DrewHarris

I'm actually surprised by the high ratings. Hopefully, this won't turn into a Frozen situation. Zootopia »

4. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Finally they are a making a movie about U2!

905, Rufus McDufus, GabeL and 3 others like this.
  5. DrewHarris

What does that have anything to do with this?

6. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Saw it a week ago (is it in the cinemas early in Europe?). It has the funniest moments I've seen in an animated movie, and there's much detail and subtle humour to admire. That may wel be it's greatest shortcoming; there's so much going on in 'Zootropolis' that it threatens (well, for me it did) to obscure the storyline. At the hearts it's a (surprisingly dark) detective story, the two leads are great and (again) there are almost too much interesting side characters. The police bureau itself could be the set of a very fine sitcom.
    [​IMG]

7. R. Cat Conrad

Sounds like a win/win for Disney, I'd be lion if I said otherwise. If there's so much going on folks can't catch it all the first time it'll bear repeat viewings. :winkgrin:

Cat

8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Oh deer!

I must say, I really liked the cute rabbit character in the trailer - so expressively animated.

R. Cat Conrad likes this.
  9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I must say that from the trailers this looks exceptionally clever and funny. I was really surprised. I haven't seen it yet but I'll have to check it out when it hits DVD.

Brad liked it in his Midnight Screenings review.

DrewHarris likes this.
  10. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

98% from critics and more importantly 95% from fans - Deadpool is 84%-93%, Force Awakens 93-90 and at the other end of the spectrum Gods of Egypt 13-47. Clearly it's a must see.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

R. Cat Conrad likes this.
  12. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Sorry, lame attempt at Zooropa/Zootopia joke

13. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Naw, I got it and thought it was funny!

905 and lbangs like this.
  14. DrewHarris

Just got back from the theater. Not only is it the definition of adorable, but it's also a fun ride with its share of surprises.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

16. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

My small theater in my small college town isn't showing it, so I'm really mad that I can't see this anytime soon. :(Literally the only proper Disney movie I've wanted to really see in YEARS.

17. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I really enjoyed it.

I thought Tina Fey did the voice but it was Gennifer Goodwin.

18. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I saw this on Saturday. I thought it was fine. I don’t think it was nearly as good as some reviewers apparently. I’m not saying every Disney movie has to wear its heart on its sleeve, but this film felt kind of felt somewhat emotionless. Which would be okay if it was hilarious. But I didn’t think it was that funny either. The funniest bit in the film is the Sloth DMV bit they showed (nearly in full) in one of the trailers, and that segment actually had a few small edits on the trailer, so even that one kind of drags on too long in the actual film.

The designs are good, the whole thing looks and feels generally like a fun Disney movie. But there was nothing remarkable. I’m not nearly as enamored with “Inside Out” or “Frozen” as some other viewers and critics, but at least in those cases I totally “get” why they’re so well-regarded. But I’m a bit perplexed by “Zootopia.” Again, it’s a good film. I’d give it a solid B or B-, maybe a 7 out of 10. Nothing egregious. But the characters aren’t either soft and cute enough to make that sort of thing work (their designs are cute, but the characters aren’t), nor funny enough to make it just work that way. I’d say “The Emperor’s New Groove” is funnier than this one. “Big Hero 6” was somewhat funnier and had more heart.

This reviewer is on the track of how I feel about the film, especially how the latter portion of the film is overloaded with plot: Zootopia (2016) »

JPagan and Texastoyz like this.
  19. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I did a double-take on "best opening weekend ever for Disney", and then saw that the opening weekend for "Frozen" was at ONE theater. Frozen's "second" weekend, which was really for all intents and purposes functionally its first, brought in over $93 million.

In defense of "Zooptopia" though, I think while overrated, it's still better than at least a few of the other eight movies above it on the all-time animated opening weekends list (e.g. "Minions", "Monsters University").

I also give "Zootopia" some credit as well for not being a sequel or reboot or something derived from an already-existing property. "Inside Out" is the only "original" film above "Zootopia" on that all-time list. The others are sequels or, in the case of "The Simpsons Movie", of course an adaptation of a TV show.

20. DrewHarris

You're pandaring to those who like animal puns.

21. R. Cat Conrad

Just a hare. :righton:

Cat

DrewHarris likes this.
  22. DrewHarris

Pardon me if I happen to be dogging along.

23. R. Cat Conrad

Punish humor is often a stretch, but at the risk of ostrich-ization, I bet it made giraffe. :laugh:

Cat :hide:

24. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I'd be lion if I said otherwise.

--Geoff

25. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Just don't let 'em buffalo you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.