Zoverstocks UK

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Scooterpiety, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis Thread Starter

Anyone ever ordered from them? They don't grade their discs, just say they're "inspected and guaranteed". How's their delivery time?

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Generally good experience. I've ordered from them a lot. They occasionally mess up (ship wrong CD title), but they will make good.

Downsides: 1) This is massive operation. No way you're going to get a reply to specifics on a CD before purchase. 2) When they do mess up, you have to ship the item back to them (in the UK), and then request reimbursement for return shipping after they receive it.

Again, I've gotten some great deals from them. And condition is almost always at least as good as advertised.

Oh, one major gripe: A few times I've ordered something that seemed severely under-priced and gotten a bogus excuse ("we noticed in preparing for shipment that the item does not meet our quality criteria" or something to that effect). Hate that kind of thing. Just be honest and tell me it was a price mistake.

3. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Had a few problems with them as grading is a little bit suspect but overall they are very good. Think they are the same company as magpie.co.uk but can't be sure as their stock levels are huge.

You are sometimes better to watch the listing as if someone comes in and put a lower price on the product they drop their price to make sure it is the lowest. I have seen discs drop from £9.99 to £2.99 because of this policy

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yes, they are incredibly aggressive in maintaining low price.

Sometimes it makes absolutely no sense. They will quite regularly list items for less than, say, $3.00, which, when you factor in shipping from the UK, can't possibly be a money maker even if they get the CD for free.

5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

This has also been my experience with them. Generally good, no replies to questions concerning the product, and sometimes they mess up (wrong item, incorrect grading). I've never had to return items to them, though, they always told me to keep the wrong, damaged or incorrectly graded items.

Simon A likes this.
  6. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

All fine for me. Loads of ridiculously low-priced CDs, all in decent shape. I've been buying a handful of CDs a week.

They buy as Music Magpie, amongst others:

http://www.musicmagpie.co.uk/

7. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

They grade all of their items as "Very Good". I think this is a wise strategy, as it really discourages customer complaints about condition and quality.

That said, their "Very Good" rating covers the entire VG/Ex/M spectrum in the context of the Hoffman Classifieds grading criteria. I've received cat toys from them (which still play fine), and I've received stuff that's categorically 'Like New'. The artwork might be crisp and flat, or it might have stopper dents and/or half moons.

If you're extremely anal about condition, they should be avoided. Otherwise, they're highly reputable and (as has been discussed), they price their items very competitively.

Simon A likes this.
  8. In-Absentia

In-Absentia Forum Resident

Hmm, the one time I ordered from them, I asked two separate questions about the item beforehand and received a reply both times. This was a little over a year ago.

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The only replies I got to specific questions concerning items were generic, like "it's not possible for us to give details of particular CDs" or words to that effect.

10. slayerhatesusall

slayerhatesusall Well-Known Member

The last 8 or so cds I bought from them were all put in a cd cleaning/ resurfacing machine and had many light hard to see marks from the machine. You have to look under a bright light at a certain angle to notice them, so at least they don't use a cheap resurfacing machine. Still I don't get why they resurface pretty much every single disc I buy from them. If the cd was in good condition to begin with then why resurface it? Very annoying and hence I don't buy from them much anymore. They didn't use to resurface the discs all the time...
    As for the delivery time, it usually takes 20-30 days to get a cd from them. 2 weeks seems to be the shortest its taken to get a cd from them, but usually its about 20-30 days.

11. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

I've probably bought a hundred CDs from them in the last year- when I started they were pretty much all Mint-, I never had anything which would properly grade as VG.

Nowadays they are more like VG+ mostly, but still good enough in most cases.

Even to the UK they are taking a week to arrive so goodness knows where their warehouse is!

12. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

Good points. They definitely buff/polish/resurface some of their discs. I would estimate that about 20% of the CDs I've purchased from them have been buffed.

13. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

I've ordered a few cheap CDs from them but the condition is never very good and they are really slow. I stopped buying from them.

14. mscoll

mscoll Forum Resident

I totally agree! I bought a many titles from ZOverstock in a past three years or so. Usually wasn't problem at all. The discs are like VG+ to -M and cheap too. I'd recommend.

15. mscoll

mscoll Forum Resident

Not all of them. I think that the only badly scratched discs are cleaned/buffed. I've discs from ZOverstock in absolutely mint condition, untouched.

16. rdavenport

rdavenport Active Member

North West England. I'm sure their mail will be routed through various courier depots before actually reaching the Royal Mail, hence the slow delivery.

17. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

For a while they were shipping through the Channel Islands to takes advantage of that VAT dodge, which slowed things up. Seems to have sped up again since that loophole was closed.

18. mscoll

mscoll Forum Resident

That will explain the long time delivery.

19. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Used to take 3 days from the day of order to make it to my mailbox, now I have to wait about 20 days.

Bought several CDs from them; they describe everything as very good but it's always a surprise; you may receive frisbees or stone mint CDs. Overall, satisfied with the service

20. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Lots of people sell all their CDs in bulk for pennies to music magpie and this ends up as stock for zoverstocks as I understand it.

Usually cheap and mostly cheerful, but I use another seller if the item is at a similar price elsewhere - I prefer the small private sellers to these big warehouse operations.

Got Kinks Shocking Pink from them for not very much, they don't always spot the rarities as everything is automated. Seems a very efficient business for what it does.

Tim

21. popmat

popmat Forum Resident

but when they do...

this has happened a couple of times to me as well....

22. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Yep, and to me too!

I nearly got the Moloko "Statues" SACD for £4.99 once... and then I didn't.

23. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Yeah, I had that excuse just the other week... do they think we're stupid, or what?

24. slayerhatesusall

slayerhatesusall Well-Known Member

I think they use that excuse when they sell something on ebay or amazon before they get the chance to remove it on the other site since they list the same cds on amazon and on ebay at the same time quite often.
    Their ebay selling page:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/estocks/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686
    I have gotten many rare cds from them that were not cancelled, like one I bought off them for 9.99 british pounds and sold for $120. And I bought 2 copies of that disc off them and neither was cancelled.

25. mscoll

mscoll Forum Resident

[​IMG]

They are on eBay since Feb, 2011. I wasn't expected such negative feedback score. I remember I've buying from them at Amazon, not from an eBay. I don't even realize they are on ebay:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.