Zu Omen Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Seancito, Aug 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am currently researching new speakers to upgrade in my system. My current setup is VPI Scout, Rogue Audio Sphinx and Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 towers. It's not a bad set up, but the speakers are the one item that I would like to updgrade and advance. I have my eye on Zu Omen MkII speakers, which are the entry level of their towers. Anyone recommend these? I have heard good and bad about them.

I could go to my local hifi shop, but I feel that I am limited in my choices and options, and they seem to push a select few brands. I have heard good things about Zu's customer service, and I like that they are American made (like my Scout and Sphinx). I like the style and and design of the speaker, and I also don't want something to massive or overwhelming in my room. I also want something that my wife would appreciate. I'm not sure of the exact measurements of my room, since I just moved, but it is a decent size medium room (square size) probably about 14 X 14 feet or so.

Could anyone recommend comparable speakers to the Zu's? I could go vintage, but I don't want to be taking too many risks. The 60 day home trial with the Zu's is appealing. Let me know what you all think!

2. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

I've never owned a pair of Zu speakers, but I also cannot remember ever hearing them in a system and not liking them. IMO they are a good value for the money and that 60 day home trial is HUGE! What do you have to lose but some time?

3. Seancito

That's what I was thinking too! I just didn't know if this is a considerable upgrade from the Wharfedale's. The Wharfedale's were kind of a temporary fix from bookshelf speakers to towers. I want to make a considerable upgrade. I'm prefer to do research and upgrade to speakers that will stick around for a while with my system, if you know what I mean. I'm open to other options, if anyone thinks of any. My other option were some Vandersteen's, but I like the smaller footprint of the Omen's.

4. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

5. sportzdad

sportzdad Well-Known Member

Zu speakers seem to be a "love them or hate them" item.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Zu Audio - Ogden, Utah
    Spatial - Park City, Utah
    Tekton Design - Orem, Utah

Utah seems to be a mecca for large speakers at moderate prices.....

SandAndGlass and timztunz like this.
  7. timind

timind phorum rezident

This.
    The 60 day trial is the key with these speakers. While I've never heard the Zu speakers, I tried a pair of Tektons based on reviews. They didn't last two weeks.

russk likes this.
  8. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Dave likes this.
  9. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I wanted to try out a set of Tekton speakers, but the builder never could get his act together in nearly a year's time, so I dropped the attempt.

timind likes this.
  10. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Well....a few years ago a buddy of mine who had and older pair of Dynaudio was seeking replacement speakers. Seems the Dynaudio wasn't such a great match for his Conrad Johnson tubed gear. The entire presentation was just too warm. So he started looking around and because of the huge buzz around Zu audio, decided to go for a pair of Omens Def ll unheard......the towers with the super tweeter. Well, they where awful! Not a speaker for Jazz....classical but to me, seemed like a speaker for some one who wants to turn it up to ear bleed levels....might as well have use those Cerwin Vega speakers. That is what they reminded me of. Just didn't seem like something an older audiophile would listen to his music through. To me, there was no connection to the soul of the listener, which was me and my buddy who also listened. No romance, or emotion. He sent them back before his time expired.......sense them he has had Revels, and now has settled on a Pair of JBL Synthesis 3467. Excellent!

11. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

FWIW I own two pair of Zus and love 'em. Most other speakers sound a bit sterile to me now. That said, I have not heard the Omens, but I would think they would play great with the Rogue Sphinx.

And to the OP's point, it is fun to build a system that is all made in the US :)

cordobaman and SandAndGlass like this.
  12. sfrost

sfrost Forum Resident

They are very efficient and play load, good for a audio/video system. The are very forward sounding and can be "in your face" so a good tone control or EQ could help. Of course any good spker should not need tone controls and there a lots of spkers that fall into this category.
    I like Zu products but not the spkers so much, thought about buying them but after a lengthy audition set up by ZU in a home with optimum equipment,
    was very put off by their sound presentation.

Slippers-on likes this.
  13. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

russk likes this.
  14. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

After hearing Rogue and Tannoy at Expona I'd have to say they are a great match.....So I agree with you here.

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  15. Seancito

Subquestion:

Again, my setup is VPI Scout w/ Ortofon Bronze, Rogue Audio Sphinx, and Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 speakers. I know that picking speakers is pretty subjective to many, and also depends on your listening room and budget, etc. I'm looking to make a good solid and decent upgrade for speakers - an updgrade that I can honestly say is a well thought out purchase and will last me many years of listening enjoyment. I'm sure that the Wharfedales can do that, but they are not an investment to me.

So, what is the best speaker one would recommend? Something possibly made in usa (doesn't have to be), appealing to the eye (I have a mid century decorated listening room), and within my budget (I'd want to spend no more than $2000-$2750 range).

16. As far as Zu speakers go......

I attend Audio shows fairly regularly and was never very impressed by them. They seemed to be shoved into small rooms near the end of the hallway for several years. I'd go in each time expecting something special after all the buzz around them. Nothing.

....until one year they were in a larger room. I was blown away. Much better - so much so that I would start considering them if the need ever arose.

I would guess that this means they are fairly room dependent and you need to make sure you have the right room for the speaker you choose. possibly a bit more so than some other brands.

As far as other brands go....What size is your room? How loud do you want to play? How important is the bottom octave to you? What are you priorities? (Imaging, soundstage, etc.)

17. Seancito

I am not certain on the room measurements. The room shape is more square than rectangle. It's a sunken floor den area/tv room that is probably around 15x15 feet (possibly larger). I like decent deep bass but really good midrange, detail and clarity, etc. I don't play extremely loud, my knob on my Sphinx usually never goes past 10 o'clock. I also don't want massive speakers. I have room to work with, but my turntable and speakers are not the only thing in the room, and it's our entertainment room, which isn't just for my vinyl.

18. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

new only, or is used an option?

19. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

If I were in the market today, I would be checking out some things like Vandersteen 2CE (though they aren't much to look at), sonus faber venere 3, some models from B&W, Usher, Spendor etc. in your price range. If you can go used then you have many more options, and imo used speakers have the lowest risk as compared to other components, in terms of having issues. I see a pair of Von Schweikert VR4 jr's on agon, for $1900, but they are probably too big for your room, etc.

chili555 and sfrost like this.
  20. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

The people at Zu Audio are very helpful and willing to go the extra mile. I'd give them a call or drop an email if I was you.

"Zu Audio

801-627-1040
    800-516-8925

[email protected]

Taking calls from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (mountain time) Monday—Friday.

Call or Email us anytime; we love what we do and we are here to help"

The Soul Superfly are first on my list if/when I move up to tower speakers.

21. If you do in fact have a room that is pretty close to square, be aware that most people think that it is much tougher to get a good soundstage - you will have the same bass nulls and voids in both directions, so you should take care to place the speakers so that they are not the same distance from the front/back walls as opposed to the side walls. A rule of uneven fractions may be helpful (1/3, 1/5, 1/7, 1/9, etc). Room treatments will help a lot.

If you can, listen to as many speakers as you can with music that you are familiar with and like - in a well matched room (acoustics and equipment).

I learned a long time ago that the sound that I seek in a speaker is not necessarily the same as what others are seeking. Try to find something that you like the sound of that also looks nice (to you and WAF if applicable). At least figure out if you like cone drivers (treated paper or otherwise) as opposed to horns or electrostatic/transducer types.

I have become a fan of OB (Open Baffle) speakers myself, but some don't like them. Listen to some NOLA's or Emerald Physics. If you find you like OB, there are cheaper alternatives.

22. Seancito

I'm open to used as well! I don't want to make any lateral moves. Unlike long term purchases. I'm not the guy that keeps changing equipment. The problem is that I am limited with local dealers. Also, they only want to sell what they carry- obviously. The appealing thing about Zu is that I can try them out, but I'm sure other speaker companies may allow the same.

23. TeflonScoundrel

TeflonScoundrel Forum Resident

How about a used pair of Harbeth C7es3s? I bought a pair for $2700 including stands and they've been excellent.

theron d likes this.
  24. rjrsmr

rjrsmr Well-Known Member

I have the Zu Omen Def MK1.b and really enjoy them. My Decware amp is 25wpc so I wanted to go with high efficiency speakers. It did take some time to break in and I also purchased GIK acoustic panels. I really think they helped. Looks like you live in Richmond. I'm in Virginia Beach.

25. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Maybe you guys could get together for a listen.

I bought a pair of the original Omen Definitions from an eBay seller a few weeks ago and I am amazed. I have a lot of speakers but these have a real sound that I have not heard in this price range.

I paid $2,100 for that pair, local pick-up only, but it was in my state and I sent my moving guy and he picked them up for me.

They are on spikes, on top of a tile floor. I have a $4k pair of Polk's that I bought during a half price sale, earlier this year, they were the nicest home speakers that I had ever owned.

I keep two pair of front speakers and like to go back and forth listening to them a bit. after getting the Zu's, I bought a speaker A/B switch. Really haven't used the switch much as I am enjoying the Zu's so much!

[​IMG]

This guy has the above pair for sale on eBay right now for a Buy-It-Now price of $1,200, local pick up only (he is in Royal Oak MI).

I like their sangria red color better than mine which are a boring black.

It might be time for a road trip?

You might ask him if you could have your shipper package and deliver them to you, I have done that before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.