ZZ TOP 50th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marklamb, Feb 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. y531ly5

y531ly5 Forum Resident

I love the Afterburner sound, it's a masterpiece from his age.
    I'm born in 1985 and discovered this album when I was young.

I admit this compilation and the Chrome BBQ one have to many songs from this record.

"Sleeping Bag" / "Stages" / "Rough Boy" and "Planet Of Women" are the top one.

2. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

In fact, I forgot that "Stages" is also a song I've heard on the radio a couple of times!

Anyway, I'll be seeing the guys in Bietigheim-Bissingen in a week. I hope they'll swap out "Pearl Necklace" and bring back "Cheap Sunglasses" plus a slower blues track, but alas...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. y531ly5

y531ly5 Forum Resident

They are in French Festival HELLFEST this week and Friday at the Arte TV channel

4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I saw them in Sweden a few weeks ago and enjoyed it a lot. What is slightly odd is that they appear to have played the same setlist for at least two years by now; the classics and hits, the great I Gotsta Get Paid from La Futura, and that odd but enjoyable cover of Sixteen Tons (why?).
    Before that they also played Chartreuse from La Futura and occasionally Foxy Lady.

JulesRules, Matthew Tate and pexie like this.
  5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It sounds like they totally ran out of creative fuel, starting with Antenna, which did have a few good tunes. I'm thinking of picking up XXX and Mescalero. I heard them at the time of release and they didn't leave an impression, but they must be better than Rhythmeen.
    Songwriting-wise, both Afterburner and Recycler are much better albums than any of the RCA stuff.

JulesRules, DiabloG and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

they make a change or so but the setlist seems to be the same lately

JulesRules and DTK like this.
  7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Mescalero has some good tracks, but the production/mastering is an abomination. They really crushed everything to the point of distortion. But songwise, I love "Alley-Gator".

8. JulesRules

I Gotsta Get Paid never really clicked with me until I heard it live in Bietigheim (Dusty on bass synth!!). Suddenly the song actually made sense. On the album, the horrible mixing/mastering just prevented me from enjoying it.

I bought XXX and while it's not a great album by any means, I certainly enjoy it more than Rhythmeen. At times, it reminds me of El Loco in its experimental approach.

Mescalero I've only ever heard a few tracks of. I once had some download vouchers from a supermarket thing (long story) and one of the albums that was available to "buy" was Mescalero (of Rhythmeen they only had the spoken introduction to the live tracks, oddly). I listened to the 30-second samples and virtually nothing appealed to me so I used my codes on other bands, with two exceptions:

"Alley-Gator" was one of those two exceptions, although it's really just one chord. The other was the cover of "Tramp", which I think is competent enough. But I agree with the mastering. It was one of their absolute WORST mistakes to not use Bob Ludwig anymore after XXX. Everything since then has left much to be desired sound-wise...

Matthew Tate and DTK like this.
  9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

After "Alley-Gator", my favorite on that album would be "What It Is Kid".

marklamb, Matthew Tate and JulesRules like this.
  10. JulesRules

Never heard that. The only other tracks from the album I'm familiar with are "Que Lastima", "Goin' So Good" (both of which I once recorded off the radio) and "As Time Goes By".

I still think I'd buy the CD if I saw it anywhere, but I'm not particularly determined to do so.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Matthew Tate

i don't think I've ever seen a used copy of it in a store. I got it new for $8.99 somewhere when it was released

12. Randy5554

Randy5554 Forum Resident

I really like the Mescalero album. It’s not one that I’d listen to straight through start to finish very often, but there are a lot of fun & goofy songs that work well for cherry-picked listening (Me So Stupid, Punk Ass Boyfriend, Stackin’ Paper, What Would You Do, What Is It Lid).

Ryan Lux, marklamb and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

I like Mescalero as well. "Piece" is the probably heaviest song they've ever done.

Ryan Lux, marklamb and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

ARK, DTK, jonnyeric and 4 others like this.
  15. marklamb

marklamb Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can’t wait for this looks great!!

Matthew Tate and Myke like this.
  16. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

Big fan of the First Album. Just Got Back From Babes probably my favorite song from them. Saw them Thanksgiving 1974 for the first time. Still have the ticket stub!
    Fave albums:
    First Album
    Rio Grande Mud
    Tres Hombres
    Deguelo

thepigdog and marklamb like this.
  17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I'm happy to have lived long enough for all these documentaries this year. Of course we never thought about a 50 year celebration then, we were just living it.

ARK, clhboa, JulesRules and 1 other person like this.
  18. JulesRules

They could add the recent Montreux concert as a bonus DVD if it gets a physical release - it was a slightly expanded setlist, Mike Flanigin came to guest again.

marklamb and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I believe we have some of the people involved in it's making on this site.

I have never heard Frank (or anyone else in an official position) mention his addiction before, so this might be a bit different from what we're used to.

As he also does in this interview:

There's footage from the WWTT shown here that I have not seen before, hope it is from the documentary.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    DTK and marklamb like this.
  20. DoF

DoF Less is more...

I like this quote from the video: BG: We don't really know anything else. DH: That's true.

21. JulesRules

Album details - Dynamic Range Database
    This is weird. So they did remaster "I Gotsta Get Paid" to what looks like really good dynamics but could not manage to do that with "Piece" (which is at least level-shifted as to not be so goddamn loud) and the live tracks??

Matthew Tate and JasonA like this.
  22. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

If it was mixed that way there's nothing mastering can do to change it, Mescalero is an extremely processed album (but then La Futura isn't exactly naturalistic either).

JulesRules and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Matthew Tate

i just got my 3 cd set

marklamb likes this.
  24. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

Finally found a copy of this and got it in the mail today. Can't wait to spin it!

These are getting very hard to find

[​IMG]

25. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Has anybody seen the documentary yet? Here's a review: Film Review: ‘ZZ Top: That Little Ol’ Band From Texas’

Seems it won't be as revelatory as I hoped, just more of the same, keeping the "mystery". I was thinking as they got older they would feel more compelled to open up and be a bit more personal and revealing, but I guess not. The review is also posted on Billy's website, but there the last paragraph (which is the part that has an opinion) is removed. But what I really want most are those film clips from the World Wide Texas Tour, so do I get them?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.