ZZ Top Cinco: The First Five LPs (5LP 180 Gram Vinyl) June 9

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masterbucket, May 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

There were problems with the stand alone pressing of Degüello as well, my copy skips randomly and there are some strange volume fluctuations - great mastering though.

Isn't it better to discuss Cinco No.2 in the thread I linked above which is dedicated to that box set?

2. Slice

Slice Fan Of Rock

Thunderbird is just awesome. That solo is so sweet. I love that song. Jailhouse Rock cooks! I love how Backdoor Love Affair starts, but I've never understood their decision to basically quit playing & just have drums going after 1 min of BLA. So it's just talking & drums for 10 min basically. Kind of interesting, but a huge let down after the first 2 songs.

boboquisp and 808_state like this.
  3. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

Good point...I'll move my compendium over to that thread. But I don't think it will hurt for folks looking for no. 1 and suddenly realizing there's a no. 2.

4. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Hmmm...I must have got real lucky with my stand alone copy. Damn near perfect. Luck of the draw, I guess.

Yeah, I wondered that myself. I have the brown vinyl issue and it’s the same way.

5. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Does anyone remember when these boxes both got announced? I’m hoping for a volume 3 this year...

6. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

They were announced in April/May. But the next part of the story is on a different record label, they were on RCA for the next four albums, so it would be up to them to do a set, but would have nothing to do with the existing two box sets (except taking inspiration). Only Antenna had an LP release originally (quite rare), they are all rather long (made for CD), especially Mescalero, but make that one a double and you've got the next 5-LP set. :)

Porkpie likes this.
  7. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Looks like this set is hard to find now. Anyone know of they will repress these? Are any of individual albums still being pressed?

marklamb and Echoes Myron like this.
  8. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

As others have said in here many times, just about every vinyl pressing is a "limited edition," multi-sets even more so.

My guess would be that Rhino would keep pressing the individual albums on a somewhat regular basis, but who knows?

ODShowtime and Echoes Myron like this.
  9. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Echoes Myron likes this.
  10. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

It’s funny how boxsets seem to start out pricey, then they get to the stage where they can’t give them away and then they shoot up to ridiculous prices.

I’m still hoping for a third set with the later albums. I’ve rediscovered Antenna recently and it’s a fantastic album, much better than I remember it being.

ODShowtime, tinnox, sennj and 2 others like this.
  11. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

I could never get past Deguello so I will have to check out Antenna on Qobuz...thanks!

Metalrob, Echoes Myron and Porkpie like this.
  12. Slice

Slice Fan Of Rock

13. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

I bought the "50" set to access at least a few of the songs from the recent albums on vinyl - that material sounds great, and I'd also really welcome a third set.

14. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I have always liked Antenna (vinyl) and wish I could obtain a copy without paying an arm or a leg.

Porkpie likes this.
  15. scorpio333

scorpio333 Forum Resident

When this came out I wanted a copy, but put it off. Well, that was dumb. Few days ago I pulled out my hammered Tres Hombres to listen to and started looking for a copy of Cinco. Saw the high prices and very limited US availability. That led to looking for the '07 reissue, ugh. Not paying those prices either. I knew I saw it somewhere local but couldn't recall where. Went to Best Buy today and BAM there it was. $109.99. New. Sealed. It's not on their website, but throwing it out there in case someone else is looking for one, try Best Buy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.