ZZ Top Sixpack

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Kid, Jul 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Kid

The Kid Active Member Thread Starter

What exactly is the ZZ Top Sixpack (3 CD set)? I've heard many conflicting statements:

1. It's simply the first six ZZ Top albums, period.
    2. It's the first six albums, but (poorly) remastered.
    3. It's the first six albums remixed and remastered.
    4. It's the first six albums remixed and remastered, plus some of the tracks are actually different versions.

Can anyone with a pair of cheap sunglasses make some sense of it all? :cool:

2. Kym

Kym Former Resident

The correct answer is:
    4. It's the first six albums remixed [with more "modern-sounding" drum tracks] and remastered, plus some of the tracks are actually different versions.

Avoid this set like the plague and your life will be rich. ;)

Emmett66, krock2009 and wilejoe like this.
  3. The Kid

...you didn't have to do what you did...and I thank you... :winkgrin:

4. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

None of it!
    Not the first six albums were put together, cause El Loco is their seventh album (not counting the Best Of album). They put all the albums together that were not available on CD back then. Degüello has been already put out on CD, decent sounding.

Yes, the remix is somewhat strange, IMO. The using of different versions is new to me.

5. The Kid

You are correct, sir! I completely missed that Degüello was actually No. 6 and was somehow "replaced" by El Loco on the six pack.

Weird :confused:

6. Kym

Kym Former Resident

I know "Jesus Just Left Chicago" has at least a completely different lead vocal.

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i've always heard that the drums were completely different from the originals.

renny

8. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

And I always wondered how they managed to get that 80's fat drum sound back in the 70's! :D

9. Danny

Danny Senior Member

Outside of the six pack, are the regular CD issues of these titles the original mixes?

10. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

The regular Cd's have the same mixing as their Six Pack counterparts. I you want to hear the original mixes on CD, you have three options: THe Best of ZZ Top, The double CD Rancho Texacano, and the 4 CD box set Chrome, Smoke and BBQ.

11. j lee

j lee New Member

I believe the only way to find something approximating the original mixes is on the more recent ZZ Top box set, which contains no complete album. I don't have the set (the title contains the word "barbecue," I believe), but that's what I've heard. [Edit: thanks for giving the title above, bare trees]

I have the 6 Pack, but also a number of the 70s albums on vinyl; I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but it *may* be that the live tracks on "Fandango" were not subjected to the Billy Gibbons "synth drum everything" treatment. I don't recall.

Any specifics on the technology BG used to replace Frank Beard's drum tracks would be of great interest, I'm sure.

12. Danny

Danny Senior Member

Thanks j lee and bare trees. I have the "Best of" disc and most of the original lps. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for a used copy of the box.

I don't think I'll ever understand artists doing this. Come on Billy G. let's let "Eliminator" be "Eliminator" and let's let "Tres Hombres" be "Tres Hombres". If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If they want to offer up some kind of deluxe edition that would be cool, one disc original mixes and one disc of remixed/re-drummed/re-visited/re-whatevered.

13. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

And EVERYtime I hear "Tush" on the radio,it's the one with the HORRIBLE new mix/drum track...

14. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

KISS did a similar thing with their Smashes, Thrashes & Hits compilation from 1988. The '70s tracks were remixed and given an '80s makeover, complete with bad drum sound like the ZZ Top collection. They even replaced Peter Criss' vocal on "Beth" with one by their then-drummer, Eric Carr.

Fortunately, it was only a few tracks on a compilation. KISS later realized that it was a mistake and never repeated it.

15. Kym

Kym Former Resident

A funny thing is that the Dazed And Confused movie soundtrack used the remixed versions of "Tush", "Balinese", and "Rock and Roll All Nite"! :wtf:

16. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

They also used the KISS remix in That '70s Show. Then again, it's a crappy show so it's probably fitting. :D

17. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Not to go off-subject too much, but it STAGGERS me at how long that show has lasted. I mean, Ashton Kutcher's "charm" can only go so far... :laugh:

18. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

This is an understatement. I think the Degüello redbook remaster sounds amazing... fat and slinky, and the underlying material is great... It's hard not to fire up the air guitar when this one's on (and by and large, I'm not a huge ZZ Top fan).

Cheers,
    Ivan

robtodd likes this.
  19. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

The new Rhino Box set has decent sound if you want the original mixes. The Sixpack IMO was brutal, it's like they tried to make all the early albums sound like Afterburner or Eliminator. That drum sound just did not fit in with the early songs.

20. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

The CD is decent sounding comparing to my WB LP, mastered by Bob Ludwig. It's worn out because of heavy rotation, 25 years ago, but it still beats the CD, IMO.

21. dudeymon

dudeymon Forum Resident

The box set Chrome, Smoke and BBQ are the best vesrions of ZZTop material available to date, IMHO. The mixes are all the original versions and the sound is snappy and tight. The cuts from Deguello sound significantly better from the box set.

Definitely one of the better packaged and compiled CD box sets in my view. If your a ZZTop fan, then you oughtta have it.

Dudeymon

22. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

The fact that the show managed to even stay on the air at all STAGGERS me!! :D

And now, back to the ZZ Top remix debate... :wave:

23. The Kid

You got that right. Snagged it when it came out and even managed to score the limited edition version, in which the box is shaped like an old juke joint. You open the "roof" to gain access to the CDs and booklet.

Highly recommended, regardless of edition :edthumbs:

24. Eric

Eric Member

Ugh, I own the Six Pack and even a tin eared person like me can't listen to it. I found it used at a very good price, I still wish I had demanded my money back, they may be the worst sounding CDs I own,

25. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

IMO if 'ya wanna hear good sounding ZZ Top just find a clean vinyl copy of "The Best Of ZZ Top". They're out there and cheap too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.