Any Let's Active fans here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Victor/Victrola, Nov 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write Thread Starter

If you're a fan of Let's Active or Mitch Easter, you'll be happy to know that Mitch is planning to release a new album soon. It'll be distributed online via 125 records. The album is called "Dynamico" and you can hear the track 'Sudden Crown Drop' at
    http://www.mitcheaster.com

2. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Nice. Thanks for the heads-up! :)

3. BobbyS

BobbyS Forum Resident In Memoriam

Well, Mitch has been my mentor for 25 years now. There may be more talented guys out there but I haven't met them yet.

The new record rocks.

Bobby Sutliff

4. nelamvr6

nelamvr6 Music Lover

Wow. I haven't thought of them for years. Now you've got me reaching for my "Big Plans for Everybody" disc! :D

I'm looking forward to the new record.

5. Street23

Street23 Forum Resident

One of my all-time favorite live shows was a triple bill with Marshall Crenshaw, Let's Active, and the Morells. That whole southern pop scene back then with Mitch and Don Dixon... mighty good stuff.

6. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

Great sounding track--thanks for posting. I'll be looking for that one when it comes out. Let's Active were great for their short-lived, 3 album first time around career.

Dale

7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"Room With A Veiw" ROCKS!!!! Does anyone know if that first EP is on CD?

8. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I've got some Let's Active vinyl lying around, and have the Cypress/Afoot twofer on CD. I live in their "neighborhood," so I was able to see them live on a few occasions.

Not to go off on a tangent, but I gotta plug drummer Sara Romweber's post-Let's Active band, Snatches of Pink. They made two albums of great Stones/glam/country-influenced rock'n'roll, "Send in the Clowns" in 1988 and "Dead Men" in 1989. They made several other good albums, and are actually still playing today, although frontman Michael Rank is the only original member left.

9. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

Wow, I'll bet!

10. BFrank

BFrank Forum Resident

I like the tune. Haven't listened to L.A. in a long time, but always thought they had an original sound worth paying attention to.

11. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Great news about the new release. I will be watching out for it.

12. Chazz Avery

Chazz Avery Music Addict

"I'm living on a blue line" :goodie: :goodie:
    Rickenbackers and jangle guitar heaven.

I'm a big fan but I'd only be interested if it's the original band. Has anyone here ever seen the appearance on the old Mtv program I.R.S.'s The Cutting Edge where Mitch gave a tour of Drive-In Studio and the band jammed out in the field with Don Dixon.

BTW, my girlfriend cringes at the band's name... "that just doesn't sound right!"

For your viewing pleasure...

Waters Part

Every Dog Has His Day

Love those cool guitar in those videos.

Every Word Means No

13. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

That was a great one. I think my sister may actually have saved that one on VHS somewhere - Looks like I'm gonna have to give her a call!

James

14. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Let's Active is a must for jangle-pop fans. Like early REM, without the mumbling. :)

I should go listen to Cypress now....

Jason

15. BFrank

BFrank Forum Resident

I saw them in '84 at the Ritz in NYC with the Hoodoo Gurus opening (although I think I missed the opening act - something I regret to this day).

16. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

Yeah, I am lucky to have a the original VHS tape. Recently copied it to DVD.

Rick A.

17. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I grew up in Raleigh, NC and saw them many times - Cypress is one of the greatest albums of the era, imho, and deserving of a Big Star-style after the fact canonization.

18. John54

John54 Senior Member

I haven't listened to their LPs in years, but I do have at least three, including Cypress and Big Plans. I liked them overall, but I guess I was spoiled by the '60s ...

19. Chazz Avery

Chazz Avery Music Addict

I still have it in case anyone's interested. I hoped to find it on YouTube but it's apparently not there.

20. Victor/Victrola

Thanks for the video links, Chazz. I love the sound of Mitch's Rickenbacker on 'Waters Part'.

As far as the new album goes, Eric Marshall is on drums (the drummer on Every Dog Has His Day) and his (new) wife Shalini is on bass. Mitch probably plays everything else.

"Big Plans for Everybody" is the best album of the 80's, IMO.

21. JeffN727

JeffN727 Forum Resident

Can't say that I'm a big fan, but I have Cypress, and it's been so long since I've heard it that I don't remember what it sounds like.
    I did see this band live, at St. Andrews Hall in Detroit, back around '83. I believe they were opening for Echo & The Bunnymen. (Memories of that time are very foggy!) I do remember that there was a power problem and there were no lights, but they kept on playing in the dark.
    Maybe I'll give Cypress a listen soon, in between all these other LP's I've been trying to get cleaned and played. I don't even remember any of the tunes.
    :cool:

22. Victor/Victrola

I am pleased as punch to report that the Mitch Easter solo album is out, and it ROCKS. This may well be his second best album, a very close second to "Big Plans For Everybody"

Eric Marshall (the drummer on the final Let's Active album) plays drums on one track, Mitch's wife Shalini sings bg vocals on 5 songs and plays bass on one. Mitch plays and sings EVERYTHING else.

The mastering of the disc is typical - too loud, but the material is great and the recording is crisp with lots of good separation.

get it from www.125records.com.

23. nelamvr6

nelamvr6 Music Lover

Thanks for the news! :righton:

24. glea

glea Forum Resident

Funny you should say this, 'cause I have just been talking to Mitch about mastering the new Loney album. He specifically mentioned that I make sure who ever I deal with, to make sure they don't smash the dynamics and make it really loud... I'd think he would be paying close attention. Maybe it just rocks?

25. rinso white

rinso white Pale Fire

Hmmmm...maybe I'll throw on Cypress and afoot tonight. Thanks for the heads-up. I would've hoped that Mitch would try and get this out on vinyl. Oh well...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.