Questions about merging a 2.1 Channel system to a 7.1 Home Theater

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by beowulf, Feb 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey guys, I'm trying to wrap my head around how this would/should be setup. Right now I have a Home Theater PC (with JRiver) going into my 2 Channel DAC via USB for audio and for video out I use an HDMI into a 65" HDTV from the same PC.

So my chain looks like this:
    HTPC audio out > DAC (via USB) >
    HTPC video out > HDTV (via HDMI) >
    DAC analog out > 2 Channel Stereo Preamp in (via RCA) >
    2 Channel Stereo Amp > Speakers.

I use my HTPC for almost all of my music listening and movie watching streaming from my NAS and online services, such as Amazon Prime, HBOGo and Starz Online, etc.

If I wanted to incorporate the above gear into a 7.1 channel system and I buy the extra speakers an AV Receiver ... how does it get hooked up?

I guess what's confusing me is (a) since I'm using my McIntosh D100 DAC as my HTPC audio out when listening to music ... (b) when it's time to watch movies how can I get a 7.1 channel signal to my AV Receiver (when I'm sending audio out to my DAC via USB)?

Do I have to unplug stuff and redo the settings each time in JRiver to watch movies, or will the DAC somehow do a handshake of the 7.1 signal to the receiver, or do I need a whole other source such as a second HTPC for watching movies, etc.?

Thanks!

2. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

EZ (but it depends on your HTPC).
    "HTPC video out > HDTV (via HDMI) > " will carry MCH audio as well. No new connections.

beowulf likes this.
  3. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi Kal, so you can have 2 channel go to the DAC via USB and multi-channel going to the HDTV via HDMI? I guess this is where I'm getting confused, how does the PC know to send the 2 channel signal to the 2 channel DAC via USB and the muli-channel signal to the HDTV via HDMI?

Thanks!

4. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

It's perfectly possible to have an HTPC connected with more than a single audio interface and to switch between them according to media type. That's basically what I do with a JRiver setup connected by USB to a DAC and by HDMI to a receiver.

You can manually switch between the audio devices using the options menu of JRiver or set some zones and rules to do it automatically.

beowulf likes this.
  5. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

I can't be of much help regarding the specifics of your gear, but I can offer encouragement to go forward: I really like the concept of putting two systems (stereo and multi-channel) within the same room - making use of both common components and the room itself.

Jeff Mackwood's Main Home Theatre

Jeff

beowulf likes this.
  6. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Claude said what I would have. Your HTPC should be able to manage it with the right software.

beowulf likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.