$100 RCM - Record Cleaning Machine ***

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by markshan, Aug 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike .S.

Mike .S. Well-Known Member

What fluids are you using Stu02?

2. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Mofi cleaning fluid. i may try cheaper homemade solutions in the future.

Mike .S. likes this.
  3. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I'm really liking mine!

[​IMG]

Poison_Flour, 4xoddic, TheVU and 3 others like this.
  4. markshan

markshan Forum Resident Thread Starter

TergiKleen is very inexpensive and very effective. They sell it on eBay and Amazon.

Stu02 likes this.
  5. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

B
    Brilliant setup. Well done!

33na3rd likes this.
  6. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

are you using the strong mixture of tergikleen or the weaker one? i think one forumula is 10drops a gallon and 1 is 20.
    i made a gallon jug of the 20 and im afraid maybe ive got too much cleaner in there, lots of popping still

7. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

How long are letting the solution soak on the LP?

I've been doing 3 minutes, and others say some LP's may need 5 minutes or even multiple cleanings if they are really soiled. I've been using the AIVS/Osage brushes to spread the fluid, and letting the fluid soak in instead of scrubbing the LP. The AIVS/Osage brushes have worked well for me, as I tend to use too much pressure when using the MoFi style brushes.

I still use a Zerostat before playing. My used LP's still have some pops & ticks, but much less now with MK3.

8. markshan

I use 5 drops in a 32 oz spray bottle. Are you doing a good distilled water rinse after? Are you sure it is dirt and not scratches? No amount of cleaning will fix scratches.

9. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

Yup doing a good rinse and this is on new and scratch free albums, I think it's static on the 180g one I could feel arm hairs being drawn to it

10. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

Going to try a longer soak, these albums aren't really dirty so I didn't let it sit long
    I spread fluid around with a natural hair paint brush and do several back forth motions.

The sq does what it's designed for, with the top closed all the way down the entire record is dry in one rotation and looks shiny

11. markshan

I use my Zerostat gun on those.

12. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

Thanks been trying to avoid spending the money on one of those but the brushes do nothing. Cranked up the room humidity too.

But back to the rcm I've only used it a couple of times and there's some adjustment but I have no doubt once I get a better technique I'll be cranking through stacks at a time in cleaning sessions. This is super easy to use and setup using the Stanley shop vac which isn't much louder than a household vac

13. markshan

I understand that. Do you ground yourself as you brush? I use my left hand for the carbon fiber brush and keep my right hand on the metal barrel of the tonearm.

14. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

Got a thorens from sleeve city just do it now he does in the video holding it off the turntable blushing in air ...I've tried with sneakers on, without, standing on my head while sticking my tongue out

Beachtraveler likes this.
  15. markshan

16. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

Not thorens the thunderon....as you can see I've been window shopping thorens

17. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

This clever device removed the pops and clicks a 100% from my PFloyd albums

[​IMG]

:laugh:

Poison_Flour likes this.
  18. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I have one of these, bought from the same guy. While I'm generally happy with the performance, there's one thing to watch out for: the bristled pad that comes directly into contact with the vinyl has a tendency to come unglued somewhat. And, when it does, it affects your ability to spin the LP by hand with the suction on. The end result - it scratches the vinyl, badly. Destroyed one side of my Horowitz LP. I have bought a backup gizmo - a standalone vinyl cleaning attachment wand with velvet instead of that damn scouring pad, and that goes directly onto the vacuum hose. It works too, albeit not as well as the stock contraption that comes with the RCM. I will have to attempt re-gluing the bristle pad at some point in time...

19. markshan

Did you contact him? I'm sure he would want to know and would take care of you.

33na3rd likes this.
  20. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Honestly, contacting him for such a trivial thing would not be worth it. Writing back and forth, shipping to Canada and back... A few drops of glue would fix it, I think, just have to get around to it. I just thought I'd better forewarn you to be on the lookout.

21. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Why this product over the $199 Record Doctor? For the $50 bucks difference you get an all in one solution, smaller footprint, etc. What am I missing?

Beachtraveler likes this.
  22. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

All of them will do the same basic thing, this just happens to be the cheapest option. And the benefit of an external vacuum is that you don't have to worry about the internal one going out and having to buy an entire new rcm

I also prefer the top vaccum wand this offers and a fully supported platter

33na3rd likes this.
  23. markshan

You didn't read the thread. This has been covered. You get a top vaccum and a full sized platter. I find this much handier. Plus, the difference is closer to $80 depending on the exchange rate on the day of purchase. That's nearly half the price.

33na3rd likes this.
  24. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

With the Record Doctor you have to flip the LP over to to vacuum it. If you've given your LP a really good soaking, where's all that pooled up cleaning solution go when you flip it over?

markshan likes this.
  25. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

It's identical in design to the Nitty Gritty machines, which are probably the best selling machines in terms of total numbers. (I've seen those in stores when I was a kid.) The water/soap gets sucked up. Because the record is suspended only by the label, there is no platter to get wet and potentially contaminate a newly-cleaned side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.