$1500 TT - Narrowing the choices.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Olecranon, Aug 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olecranon

Olecranon Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm looking for suggestions on a table in the $1500 range (cart included). After looking over some older post, it appears the VPI Traveler and Clearaudio Concept are two common choices. Some other tables that are mentioned include : Music Hall Ikura, Marantz TT-15S1, VPI Scout jr. There is also the Rega RP6 pushing close to 2K with cart.

I'm looking for something that has relatively good isolation. I'd prefer not be a tweaker. Something plug and play would be great. I would rather not have to deal with upgrades. My RP1 was a disaster. It had platter wobble that took an aftermarket subplatter to correct. The BIAS II cartridge was always noisy on the right channel and required constant fiddling. I eventually threw up my hands and purchased a 2M Blue which has worked great. After the issues with the RP1, I won't consider the RP3. I might consider an RP6 if people feel it's way above the other choices for what I need. In the end, the only upgrade I ever want to do is a better cart/phono preamp if I so desire.

The new table doesn't need to be DEAD quiet (as long as the noise isn't amplified and coming through the speakers). I like to listen to my music at a decent volume, and many time I'm doing things around the house while a record is playing. I have two great danes walking around the room on laminate flooring as well. It's not a dead quiet anechoic chamber listening environment.

Thank you

2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I'd probably take a look at the Marantz or Scout Jr. I'd probably take the Concept over either of them having owned it and loved it, but it can be hit or miss when it comes to footfalls and you won't really know how it will work in your home until you get it there.

3. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

If used is an option you can usually score a Scout in this price range or even a classic for a little bit more.

I just scored a Rega P5 for stupid little money and it is a great table ... far and away better than the RP3 I bought new.

octaneTom likes this.
  4. Marantz TT-15S1

warp2600, delmonaco and 4xoddic like this.
  5. Burning Tires

Burning Tires Forum Resident

I've been very happy with my Music Hall MMF 5.1 se. It would be well within your budget (including the cart), and the design offers increased isolation via the dual-plinth design. I haven't felt the need to tweak or upgrade it, other than replacing the cart with a 2M blue when the original stylus got crushed by accident. Runs very quiet - I have to almost press my ear to the plinth to hear the beginnings of any motor noise. Absolutely no motor noise goes through the system, and that's a problem I had with the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon before I returned it.

6. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Rega - you will always be able to get parts for it. We'll all be dead and gone and they'll still be in business.

Ntotrar likes this.
  7. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

My Rega P5 was less than half of that used and is an amazing TT.

8. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I wouldn't be surprised if the OP isn't in a similar position as I am when it comes to Rega turntables. We both owned the RP1 with the Bias cartridge. We both hated it. We're both smart enough to know that you can't judge a company's higher tier offerings by their entry level product, but at the same time, gosh, we really hated the RP1.

Olecranon likes this.
  9. missan

missan Forum Resident

Just choose the one that You like. Your the one that must look at it for a long time.

warp2600 likes this.
  10. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Used VPI Scout

11. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

S'what I went for, having been a recent participants in one of those threads you probably read, and I couldn't be happier. I haven't used or heard a Clearaudio, but from what I can tell, they're pretty plug and play straight from the factory, if that's what you're looking for. The VPI Scout is slightly less plug and play, but it sounds like you're comfortable installing a cart, so I don't think the VPI would be too plug and play for you. If you go for a used Scout, all you need to do is drop the tonearm on the pivot point and install a cart. If you go for the Scout Jr. new, you don't even have to do that, and if you buy it from a dealer you can get a cartridge installed.

It can be a fiddly table, but honestly I think the cart is what determines just how fiddly you need to be (e.g. getting VTA right when I had an AT 440MLa on it was a pain in the rear; a height that sounded beaaaaautiful on 180/200g records wouldn't even play through some superthin/Dynaflex records). But I'd rather be able to adjust those things like VTA/Azimuth/etc. than not. I've had a table where I couldn't, and not being able to fix the problem was worse than having to spend a few hours tweaking on the first set up.

I'd say you should be ready for a very different sound, though. The Rega and VPI house sounds are pretty different. I vastly prefer the latter, as it strikes me as uncolored, but it strikes other people as lifeless.

12. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

I would also take a look at the Avid Ingenium TT. Also the Sota Series IV Comet.

13. GKH

GKH Senior Member

George Merrill's Gem-Dandy PolyTable with Jelco SA-250 tone arm w/Audioquest Wildcat cable, & Ortofon Red cartridge - $1,495.00 is a nice choice! :)
    I listened to that very table and cartridge combo against my RP-1 with 2M Bronze. I was blown away!
    The Ortofon Red is 2 steps below the Bronze. I even brought my Rega Fono Mini A2D to connect to the PolyTable.

Some nice options in that price range.

I ended up buying the PolyTable w/ Jelco SA-750E tone arm, and moving my Bronze to the PolyTable.

TeflonScoundrel likes this.
  14. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Used VPI Classic - check out audiogon for your location. A used high end table can usually be had in the 1500 - 1900 range - the Classic is just a beautiful creature.

Tullman and Dennis0675 like this.
  15. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

i'll chime in and say nobody is ever going to pry away my traveler even after i am dead. it supports higher end cartridges very well and just plays and plays and plays. if you are looking for cartridges that have shibata type stylii you will be happy you bought a turntable with easily adjustable VTA.
    i am still amazed every time i lay down a slice of wax.
    if you look you should be able to grab a latest gen new in box for just north of 1K. there is no better deal out there in new tables.

16. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Keep saving

Linto likes this.
  17. JazzVinyl

JazzVinyl Forum Resident

A used Well Tempered will satisfy.

You just need to supply a stable platform that is isolated from footfalls (a good wall shelf?).

18. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

Are you planning on auditioning or buying online based only on reviews and recommendations?

Are you open to buying used?

19. Olecranon

I don't have a local store. My plan was to buy online based on reviews. I just don't have a lot of options for auditioning unless I want to take a few days to road trip. I'm not sure how much value auditioning a turntable would be for me. No store is going to have a big honking pair of Klipsch Chorus II's with new drivers and crossovers to listen to :)

I would not be against buying used, demo, or b-stock.

20. Olecranon

I have a wall shelf coming Monday.

21. Olecranon

This is what I've had to do to my RP1 to make it "serviceable". Even with a 24V motor upgrade it takes a bit to get that glass platter spinning!

[​IMG]

22. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

I asked just to make sure you were getting replies that made sense ;-)

I love my Clearaudio Concept. Foot falls are an issue though if you have an active floor and don't have some isolation under the feet. I had problems but the right feet solved the problem.

23. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Used - I recommended a VPI - but I do have a Clear Audio RCM - and I gotta say - they make great products - so for new I'd go for the Clear Audio. As far as footfalls go - the best table for this - I'm sorry/proud to say - is a Technics with Isonoe feet - My VPI is too rigid - and footfalls (heavy) will cause skips - while my Technics - just cruises through it.

24. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I have a ProJect Xperience. It is pretty good but not outstanding. My TD160 from Vinyl Nirvana is sick good but probably not compatible with Great Danes.

25. chuck rodgers

chuck rodgers Forum Resident

I love my clear audio concept, no issues and great sound. At the $1500 price point I am sure you will get a great turntable that will make you happy for years.

whaiyun and FashionBoy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.